Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got through watching Cars the built American and Men that built... on History Channel. I sure wish they would do one on guns. Surely there is just as much drama with the gun industry as the others. Would love to watch about Browning, Colt, Winchester, Remington,etc.

Jim

·
Registered
9,527 Posts
The shows Gun Stories and some of the American Rifleman shows sort of give that take on history and guns. Got to believe you would want to add the Pennsylvania, Tennessee and Kentucky long rifle flintlocks in the early days of the USA.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
There are so many great stories to be told in relation to the effect of firearms on the founding and expansion of our country.
From the Jaeger rifles to the evolution of cartridge firing weapons just prior to and during the Civil War,
The tale is both interesting and in many cases surprising as there were so many arms manufacturers, and all contributed their part to the development of firearms as we know them today.
I would love to see a series such as you describe.
I have read extensively on the subject for over 50 years now, and it would be a nice change to see it
enacted on film.

Reactions: shawlerbrook

·
Registered
979 Posts
There's a book by Chris Kyle "American Gun: A History of the U.S. in Ten Firearms" that covers exactly what you're referencing. While there are so many different choices that could be made, he makes references on why he picked "the American long rifle, Spencer repeater, Colt .45 revolver, Winchester 1873 rifle, Springfield M1903 rifle, M1911 pistol, Thompson submachine gun, M1 Garand, .38 Special police revolver, and the M16."

1 - 8 of 8 Posts