Marlin Firearms Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13,443 Posts
I just saw a D western from 2019. Crummy movie, hero was using a Henry rifle. Not as in Alexander Henry but a New Jersey Henry. Brass with tube load.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Steve McQueen carried that Mare's leg, but had 45-70 cartridges in his belt. Even could get 6 or 7 shots off without a reload.

·
Registered
169 Posts
"Ride the High Country" is one of my favorite westerns and it has several interesting weapons in it. Warren Oates carries a Remington Model 8, which jams on him in the final showdown. Oates discards it in disgust. LQ Jones has a Winchester 1895 carbine. John Anderson's long arm is a lever action rifle with a half magazine (not a "button" magazine). I assume it is a Winchester, but I might be wrong. I am too lazy at the moment to dig out the dvd to watch carefully.

·
Registered
8,200 Posts

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
There was an excellent movie with Gregory Peck "The Stalking Moon" They tried in that one but took a 94 Winchester and painted the receiver a brass color and removed the fore stock. Seen a lot of modern brass framed Henry Bigboy's in TV shows. Hell on Wheels was showing cavalry carrying them. Cavalry never carried lever actions. Also the main man was carrying a "Griswald" which was a cheap brass framed 1860 44. The Griswald's and Gunnison's were knock off of the 1851 36. Most often now when they try to show a mixture of genuine weapons they get mixed up in time frames.

DEP

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
My favorite: Valdez is Coming----Sharps Rifle !

·
Registered
282 Posts
My personal goal is when I watch any western and see a 'Henry' being used I start to look closely to determine if it is an 1873 Winchester with the forestock removed.

This was pretty common back in the day when 1873s were cheap and easy for the production companies to get a hold of.

I was at a gun show a couple years ago and a seller had a couple that were stamped with the name of a production company.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts