Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering if anyone else either contributes to or views the imfdb(internet movies firearms database). I signed up years ago when was reading what others had written about a gun used by a star in a big time movie and they had it all wrong. I felt obligated to set it straight. can't remember the movie now but the gun in question was a Winchester 66 centennial. anyway---
I was just watching 1966 Duel at Diablo and it looks like James garner is using an 1892 Winchester but what I was wondering about is a long gun used by one of the troopers, the barrel band was at least 4" back from front of forearm. could just be a prop gun but other guns in the movie are real. the data base does not even list this movie.
anyway I must be really bored today

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
It was storming yesterday, all day, and I have a severely lacerated right thumb that got infected and can't work in the shop and chance getting it dirty. Anyway I binge watched Yellow Stone all day and played with the dogs. I noticed some Marlins in that show.

·
Banned
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it really is a great website but there seem to be many more experts on military and modern guns than there are to identify older western guns. I just happen to be a fan of old western movies and only comment or identify weapons if If I am absolutely sure of what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Funny thing about most Western films is that nine times out of ten an 1892 carbine and an 1873 SAA is about the extent of what you see. They even used 1892's in movies which were supposed to be taking place in the late 1860's and early 1870's.

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
most of the westerns took place in the 1880s but most rifles are 1892 Winchesters, like the rifleman. I saw a 336 marlin 2 times in the big valley. every now and then you will see what appears to be a model 1860 with a loading gate on the receiver. the only problem is a 1860 loaded from the front of the tube, they didn't have a loading gate! they would take the forearm off a 1866 yellow boy and try to make it look like an 1860,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Anybody notice in Joe Kidd that the rifle Robert Duvall used was a Savage M99? The gun was authentic for the time period but with a Weatherby style stock and variable power Leupold scope? I forget which movie it was in but the bad girl had a Marlin 336 and the time frame was something like the mid 1890s, give or take.
Paul B.

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
in joe kid the savage Duvall had was a 1899 with a high comb stock. it would have been a deluxe model like a K, I think it was engraved, maybe,,,,,,,,,,,,

Reactions: gunscrewguy

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
The Buster Keaton movie THE GENERAL is about the railroad and the War Between The States. When it comes time for a bunch of soldiers to shoot guess what, they are shooting Trapdoor Springfields and flipping open the breech to reload.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Here's one of the most horrendous firearms anachronisms ever seen in a Western film...at least that I've seen. Move the slider to 1:05:00 and watch for a few minutes. Looks to be a Spanish made copy of the Mg42 LOL

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
Funny thing about most Western films is that nine times out of ten an 1892 carbine and an 1873 SAA is about the extent of what you see. They even used 1892's in movies which were supposed to be taking place in the late 1860's and early 1870's.

Nothing stranger than to see John Wayne in the Union Army in 1865, and in the next scene, he's out and carrying an 1873 Colt and an 1892 Winchester. I guess they just weren't that interested in technical accuracy during that period of movie making. But to be honest, how many, other than gun enthusiasts and history buffs would actually notice? Either way, the movies are still entertaining, and in a lot of cases, a nice relief from the BS of today.

·
Premium Member
18,011 Posts
The prop houses in the 50's and 60's were hard pressed to come up with genuine period guns, most of them didn't survive much past the Civil War. So there was a lot of fudging going on, there weren't many Henrys around so they would take the forends off 1982's and such to make them look a little more correct, and hoped people wouldn't notice. By the 1950's there were few if any Civil War survivors around, the studios probably figured no one would notice. :bandit:

Reactions: Ray Newman

·
Registered
404 Posts
Hollywood never gets it right when it comes to weapons. No recoil on large rifles or pistols. Guns that seem to hold more rounds that, I know can't. Every shot fired has a ricochet. Guy running in a hail of machine gun bullets, that hit all around him, yet not one finds its mark. But hey its all good. It's entertainment.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
in joe kid the savage Duvall had was a 1899 with a high comb stock. it would have been a deluxe model like a K, I think it was engraved, maybe,,,,,,,,,,,,
Take a close look at that stock. The butt stock has distinctive Weatherby styling and the scope is definitely a Leupold..
Paul B.

·
Registered
460 Posts
i was watching "the good, the bad, and the ugly" and at the end when they are in the big circle getting ready to shoot it out the camera keeps panning around each shooter Van Clef has a cap and ball revolver and his holster belt is loaded with brass cartridges and he never has a rifle in the movie.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
What about the modern day cop shows when they have a shootout in an old empty building using at least two magazines in their handgun and after it's over they go outside and talk in a normal voice.

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
If Hollywood put their money where their mouth is they should not be using any guns in any of their movies. Let's see how many tickets they would sell after that ??? And if they really wanted to stop being 2-faced morons they should all move to a Commie country.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts