Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Sorry, but I can't see any way to search for auctions by number of the item?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I tried it after I posted it ,and it didn't work. Go on GA and pull up Marlin rifles then there is a place for newest first, click that and this gun will be in the first ten or twelve :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think that gun would be most excellen for cast bullets and deer :D But it is way way out of my price range at the moment :cry:

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
I see Jorgy has one in .38-56 there too!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
marlinman93 said:
I see Jorgy has one in .38-56 there too!
I thought that 38-56 might be someone on this forum, I was trying real hard to see what was in the cases behind :D :!:

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Lots of Marlins I'd suspect! :wink: Couldn't find the .33 WCF after checking Marlins listed in the last week. No luck?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
marlinman93 said:
Lots of Marlins I'd suspect! :wink: Couldn't find the .33 WCF after checking Marlins listed in the last week. No luck?
After you click on Marlin rifles ,look under the page numbers, there is a little thing in bracketts that says newest first, click on that. When the screen comes up you will see the stuff highlighted in yellow . Scroll down past that and look at tha third listing. It is being sold by Classic Restorations :!:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Once you go through that procedure, Classic Restorations has seven guns listed the 33-1895, 40-60-1881, 38-40 -1894, 30-30 -1893TD, 1894 Baby carbine, 44-40-1894, and a 38-55 -1893SRC :!:

·
Registered
496 Posts
Wow! I did not know my baby carbines were worth so much. :D Parley

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Thanks for the info 6pt-sika! Impossibvle to tell if it is a true lightweight, as I can't see the buttplate, levr is closed, as is the bolt. The lightweights in the 1895 had a hard rubber buttplate, and the bolt and lever were lightened internally to save weight. I have a .33Win 1895 with round barrel, and shotgun buttplate, but it doesn't have the light lever and bolt. It's been mistakenly called a "lightweight" by several collectors who saw it.

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Parley,
Isn't it amazing what they get, or ask for on these old Marlins nowadays? To those of us who have been collecting them for awhile, the prices are astronomical!
I was discussing this with a fellow Marlin collector just the other day! When I started, I could find a lot of Marlins in the $300-$400 range, and they were decent to nice guns. Heck, even found a few under $300 that are still in my collection, and look good. Prices continually crept up, and guns I wouldn't buy at $500, seem like bargains at $800 now! I thought I broke the bank buying my two barrel 1893 set 10 years ago at $900. I've turned down several times that amount a couple times since!
I used to think these guys were dreaming at the prices they ask, but now I'm not so sure?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
marlinman93 said:
Thanks for the info 6pt-sika! Impossibvle to tell if it is a true lightweight, as I can't see the buttplate, levr is closed, as is the bolt. The lightweights in the 1895 had a hard rubber buttplate, and the bolt and lever were lightened internally to save weight. I have a .33Win 1895 with round barrel, and shotgun buttplate, but it doesn't have the light lever and bolt. It's been mistakenly called a "lightweight" by several collectors who saw it.
I thought the only 33's they made were the lightweights ?

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Nope. I've even seen some with full octagon barrels. It's another of those little errors in Bill's great book.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
marlinman93 said:
Parley,
Isn't it amazing what they get, or ask for on these old Marlins nowadays? To those of us who have been collecting them for awhile, the prices are astronomical!
I was discussing this with a fellow Marlin collector just the other day! When I started, I could find a lot of Marlins in the $300-$400 range, and they were decent to nice guns. Heck, even found a few under $300 that are still in my collection, and look good. Prices continually crept up, and guns I wouldn't buy at $500, seem like bargains at $800 now! I thought I broke the bank buying my two barrel 1893 set 10 years ago at $900. I've turned down several times that amount a couple times since!
I used to think these guys were dreaming at the prices they ask, but now I'm not so sure?
That explains why I have 336SC's and not 1893's :( $275 vs. $1000 (if you are lucky)

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
I really do understand where you're coming from 6pt! I feel pretty lucky to have put my collection together before they went nuts!
This whole out of control pricing is directly related to internet auctions. (in my opinion)
Seems like the internet has made everyone aware of these guns when they go up for auction, and all it takes is for two people with more money than brains, to start a bidding war. Once one goes too high, everyone expects their gun to be worth the same amount.
I can't begin to tell you how many times I've made an offer on a gun at a show, and had the seller say he can get more on the internet. It's frustrating to say the least. Still, I guess that's the way of the future. When us old guys get ready to sell, our collections will probably go on the internet.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I want these things for collecting ; but I also want them to shoot :D For some strange reason I like fooling with the "old and obselete " for lack of a better term 8) And when the price goes up ,it makes you think long and hard before you consider shooting them . My little 1892 cost me $600 by the time it got to me, not a lot but still plenty. After I fit the firing pin a couple weeks ago , I took it out and fired it . First with factory 32 Short Colt, 9 shots into that the extractor snapped . Not from hot loads but from old age :? So when you buy an 1893 for lets say $1250 in all original shape, take it out and shoot it and break an extractor or some other small part . It isn't real costly to fix , but if you go to resell and plan on being honest you must tell the perspective buyer of any non original parts ,and that detracts from your price :cry:

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Internal replacement parts don't dter from the value of a collectable gun. You can replace broken operating parts without worry of devaluating your gun, and buyers would much rahter have good new parts than old worn or broken parts. I wouldn't even worry about mentioning it to a prospective buyer. It's not unethical to replace these parts.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts