Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you trust gunbroker? I'm looking for a 336ss but Kansas City is dried up with Marlins??

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have bought a few rifles off of Gunbroker. Ask a lot of questions before buying! If you want a picture of something specific, ask them to take a pic. Most of the dealers are gun shop owners and pawn shops that do not have websites. They have ratings too, so that is very helpful.

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
It is really not Gunbroker, but the individual seller that you need to worry about. Check their seller rating/feedback. That will be a good indication of what kind of person you are dealing with. If they have no rating yet, be wary and ask lots of questions. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
1,881 Posts
TnBigBore said:
It is really not Gunbroker, but the individual seller that you need to worry about. Check their seller rating/feedback. That will be a good indication of what kind of person you are dealing with. If they have no rating yet, be wary and ask lots of questions. Hope this helps.
Remember, GunBroker doesn't sell anything. It's just like your local classifieds only on a national basis. As TnBigBore said, look at the feedback, ask questions, and get all of your questions answered up front. There are great people who advertise there (I do on occasion - so that shows you ;)) and there are scam artists and jerks. No different from your local gun shops except you can't touch the merchandise. There is a level of trust developed among the frequenters, just like here.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Not much different than ebay as far as mechanics go. If a pawnshop, the description is usually very limited. Ask plenty of questions, as the man said. If you are looking at something specific, maybe approach a longtime member here via PM and ask him what he thinks about the firearm that you are considering. I'm quite sure that you will get some good advise.

·
Premium Member
9,465 Posts
I know there must be scammers and such on there, it stands to reason, but I haven't dealt with one yet. All my Gun Broker deals have gone smoothly with no problems, even with a seller who had no feedback yet at the time. Of course, I generally pay attention to the seller's feedback rating. So far, except for that one time, I have only dealt with A+ sellers. I must say that I have been very pleased with the service that the site provides, and I have been able to get some rifles that I would never have found locally.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I have bought and sold quite few firearms on Gunbroker and the advice you have gotten here is all good and should be heeded. I have had a couple buyers that had no feedback (NR) and have always felt the LAST thing they want is a negative for their first feedback. All my transactions have gone well, but there is always that first time. I have never felt cheated or mislead, but have maybe felt I wasn't told about a minor defect, usually cosmetic, but then as above I did not ask the right questions of the seller. Just my opinion and experience. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
I have (i think)12 purchases on GB, and every one has been good. My .444 came from a pawn shop in Mississippi, just as described, no surprises and what I was willing to give ($400)

mijimbob and I met while I was looking for an SC in 30-30... it wasn't just what I was looking for, but I came on here and let folks know he was straight up(when I saw a post about his listing on GB), I think 2 of his Marlins went to members here on MO about the same time.

My Ebay experience has been similar with 225 purchases, usually within 200 miles from homebase.

YMMV, but as has been said, look for positive feedback, and ask anyone local to check it out.

·
Premium Member
2,575 Posts
I have no problems with GB and have bought a number of my guns from there.

On another note (since we are in the 336 forum), I was looking at a sweet 336 CB in .38-55 the other day. It started at about $450-495 and I knew it would go up, but how was interesting. It stayed low for about 5-6 days and starting going up to about $650 with less than an hour to go and zoomed up to about $950 in that time. I had never seen something go up that fast before.

Although I have some 1894's and an 1895, I would love to have a CB (just like everyone else here) version. I started trolling for .44 mags, since they were in greater numbers than a .45 LC. I then expanded my net to include 336's as well. My biggest hassle is not living in a gun friendly state (NJ) with virtually no gun shows and most shows in PA are some hours away. Thank god we can still buy long guns fairly easily.

·
Registered
92 Posts
the thing that is most frustrating about GB is not being able to bid on different guns for fear of having to buy 4 guns when you only wanted one

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I have bought several guns on gunbroker and have not had a dissapointment yet.Pay attention to their feedback,look at the pictures carefully and ask questions.If you have a seller who ignores your questions I'd advise you NOT to have dealings with them.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Its not all roses. Cracks in stocks, rust, excessive wear, and refinishing are hard to see in photos and you have to rely on a sellers word, and photos which sometimes do not accurately display things, and frankly some folks are not as finicky as others, some don't care (thankfully many do). I have bought 40 or 50 guns from Gunbroker over the years, and sold quite a few too. I think I have about a 15-20% rate of being unsatisfied with the sellers description and I am not that picky.

If you are a man who does not buy many guns I suggest to go to a gun show or gun shop, that way you can check the gun over in person.

Caveat emptor.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have sold dozens and bought five or six guns on GB. I have never had a problem. I think the only thing you need to be careful of is some dealers (FFL) will not receive a handgun from a private owner outside of state lines. IMO, if you have one of these dealers, get another. If they do not even know the rules they are supposed to be working under, they do not need to be getting business.

·
Registered
8,702 Posts
You can trust Gun Broker, it's the sellers you have to worry about. GOOD close up, clear pictures with descriptions of flaws or problem areas are a must. Very expensive guns should have a 3 day inspection. There are ad's where the gun is so far away and blurry I won't give them a second look. If you are really interested contact the seller for more pics and ask a lot of questions. A bid or win on GB is a leagal binding contract.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts