Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recieved my new copy of "Gun Tests" today and guess what?Marlin 336w beats the Winchester M94 hands down,their words not mine.Marlin recieved "recommended buy"rating whileThe winchester Ranger recieved a "don't buy" rating.I actually was surprised at the low rating given to the wrenchester, I thought more highly of them but alway's put the Marlin ahead.I just thought this would interest some people on this sight. :) :? Shootrj2003

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Thats the second time they tested them , and same outcome both times.. :lol:

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
Doesn't surpise me at all. Mostly all the WInchester has going for it is that it is smaller and lighter. Some people identify with it a bit more.

The company is more open to trying out older calibers more often, which I can appreciate. They are easier to shoot cast with, and not at all inadequate guns. They don't rate with Marlin in my book, but they do have some stronger points. The nice guns have nicer wood than Marlin.

The trigger is the worst thing you've ever experienced, and having to hold the lever up while shooting takes some getting used to.

I am taking my 25-35 out this weekend for prarie dog shooting. WIshed iI had a varmint caliber Marlin to go along...

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dr.A, You don't have a .444 or a 45-70? :? :( :) shootrj2003

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I'm not sure I'd consider that a fair test if that was a standard Marlin against the cheapest version of the Winchester 94. Now if it was the bargain basement (Wallyworld) version of the Marlin against the Ranger, I might be a bit more agreeable with their results. JMHO.
Personally, the Winchester feels much better to me and is lighter. The Marlin 30-30 I have is the more accurate of the tw, but possibly because it has a scope mounted and the "Winnies" don't, and my nearly 67 year old eyeballs just cannot see the front sight anymore. Not even with the peep sights. :(
Paul B.

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
It was the cheapest Walmart version of Marlin vs. the cheapest walmart version of Winchester.

I do have the 444 and 45-70. They were not sighted in for what I needed out there, or I would have taken a couple of shots with'em. :lol:

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dr.A,I try not to be undergunned for them varmints-I was once working on my friends Tree farm and was charged by a large ,vicious New York woodchuck and was only armed with a hoe and it left a lasting impression on me! Luckily for me he saw I was frozen in terror and took the opportunity to escape down his hole,the savage beast could have just as easily torn me to pieces like so much ripe alphalpha and all because I was foolish enough to be unarmed-never again!Shootrj2003

1 - 7 of 7 Posts