Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So me and my buddy were at the Dalton Ga. Gun show Sunday afternoon. We are not looking for any one article in particular; mostly accessories and ammo. I did kind of have my eye out of a 4" stainless 357, and we both are usually looking for good buys on lever guns. I know Marlin 336 maybe just a tad better than your average bear, as does my buddy....I am not an expert, but I know how to read. So we happen upon a table that had several items it, they were sundry at best.....still a decent enough table...and there was a fairly clean 336 there as well. The gun had a descriptive card on it, "Almost like new. Less than 5 shots. Purchased in 1962." I think the price was $499....well, before picking the gun up, we commented that the gun was in pretty good shape, but there were a lot of handling marks on the forearm and the stock was new looking, indicating the stock had probably been replaced....the owner, a grey haired man of about 60 I guess, was not impressed. He was even less impressed when we turned the gun over to reveal the serial number....the prefix was 69XXXXX, indicating the Marlin was manufactured in 1969. I said aloud that the only problem with the gun was it was made in 1969, the owner looked at me like calf looking at a new gate and defiantly said, " I bought that gun myself in 1962 " and I again, loud enough for all at the table to hear, "well, the serial number says that gun was made in 1969." and then simply I walked away....this is where it gets good...I heard them man then exclaim to his prospective buyers, "I get guys like that at every show and they don't know what they are talking about....Marlin didn't even make a 336 in 1969."
That may have been the highlight of my weekend.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
The old guys can be a lot of fun. They should know that If you get a guy at every show telling you that your rifle was made in. 69 then it might very well be. He probably picked it up a few weeks ago at an estate sale.

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
That's funny.....I went through that with my dad and his 336. He swore up and down he got it in the mid 60's ......made in 72. Kinda hard to stick to your guns when there's hard evidence against ya. :biggrin:

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Hey gang, be carefull, I happen to be one of those ''old timers.'' My year of manufacture is 1942. Now some old swindlers think they can pull a fast one and get caught. In the words of Ron White, ''You can't fix Stupid.'' You can't put it any plainer than that. Take care, John.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Lol, love it.

·
Premium Member
2,126 Posts
Some folks will never admit their wrong. I've always been of the school of thought if you prove me wrong I have learned something. I run into guys a lot at pawn shops who have a couple years experience with guns who will try to school us old timers (not necessarily age but in gun years) , I never correct them I just state what I know to be fact and smile.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I can hardly remember what I did in 1962. My first 336 that I sold to my brother I swore I bought in 65' but the ser.# says 66'.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Just wait until you hit 65 and let's see how good your memory is. Getting older is not for the faint of heart. Very frustrating at times as you try to remember dates, places, names. Perhaps there was a senior moment there. Maybe not.

·
Administrator
23,826 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
how does it go?....someone posted on another forum.....caveat emptor...

·
Premium Member
8,044 Posts
I know I cannot remember when I have bought any guns except the last one and then only a year ruger #1 in 45-70 in 2014, sometime between January and March. Maybe the recoil is begining to affect my memory, but it is a hoot to shoot.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I don't know them very well either. I think I would have told him it was a shame it was not a 69', the transition year guns from New to North Haven are worth a whole lot more. You really want one but cannot see paying the 7-8 bills they pull. Walk and hope he will carry it in and out of shows for a year or two.

·
Administrator
23,826 Posts

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Just wait until you hit 65 and let's see how good your memory is. Getting older is not for the faint of heart. Very frustrating at times as you try to remember dates, places, names. Perhaps there was a senior moment there. Maybe not.
AMEN! CRS runs rampant at that age! I'd love to see 65 again.........

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.