Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,398 Posts
Nice gun, congrats. I have one just like it and have always been a bit underwhelmed with the accuracy. Thinking of swapping the barrel but haven't got around to it yet. Hope yours shoots better than mine.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Ok, I'll ask. What's the significance of the "third hole" in the receiver and what does it contribute for accuracy? I disremember ever hearing anything about a "third hole" H-Bar, good or bad.

WYT-P
Skyhunter

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The third hole is for the full auto sear to be installed in the lower converting to to a class 3 machine gun. Due to concerns by ATF, Colt installed the block you see in the photos to prevent someone from installing an auto sear.

·
Registered
983 Posts
The third hole is for the full auto sear to be installed in the lower converting to to a class 3 machine gun. Due to concerns by ATF, Colt installed the block you see in the photos to prevent someone from installing an auto sear.
Thanks you Sir!
It's been a long time (+48 years) since I held or used an M-16, but I thought I remembered that. Sometimes the ole memory banks need a little help!

WYT-P
Skyhunter

·
Registered
10 Posts
Went to a guns show in Tucson AZ awhile back. Stopped by a table that had a nice collection of assorted log guns and hand guns. Picked up this MATCH TARGET, MATCH HBAR. Had not seen one before with the third hole.

View attachment 856357 View attachment 856358 View attachment 856359 View attachment 856360
Went to a guns show in Tucson AZ awhile back. Stopped by a table that had a nice collection of assorted log guns and hand guns. Picked up this MATCH TARGET, MATCH HBAR. Had not seen one before with the third hole.

View attachment 856357 View attachment 856358 View attachment 856359 View attachment 856360
Early receiver. That 3rd hole and the block in the picture is to prevent the installation of an auto sear making that a class 3 machine gun. I'm wondering if your rifle has a full auto bolt (legal in a semi auto rifle) With that HBAR I'd guess that to be a good shooter. That's quite a find. Congratulations. Enjoy that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Nice gun, congrats. I have one just like it and have always been a bit underwhelmed with the accuracy. Thinking of swapping the barrel but haven't got around to it yet. Hope yours shoots better than mine.
Do you still have the factory trigger? I put a Gieselle SSA E in my rifle and noticed an improvement.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The rifle is completely stock. Looks like maybe a couple mags were run through it. It does have the full auto bolt carrier. I have several custom AR's with a verity of triggers. I tend to leave Colts I fined in original condition as I found them.
I was on a SWAT team in CA for 20 years and was originally assigned an M-16 A2, Carried that for a few years until we switched to MP5's and UMP's, Then we switched to M-4's in .223. After I retired they replaced the .223 uppers with .300 black out uppers with cans

·
Registered
10 Posts
The rifle is completely stock. Looks like maybe a couple mags were run through it. It does have the full auto bolt carrier. I have several custom AR's with a verity of triggers. I tend to leave Colts I fined in original condition as I found them.
I was on a SWAT team in CA for 20 years and was originally assigned an M-16 A2, Carried that for a few years until we switched to MP5's and UMP's, Then we switched to M-4's in .223. After I retired they replaced the .223 uppers with .300 black out uppers with cans
Well done sir. Thank you for taking up the responsibility of LEO. I'm Vietnam era Navy former firearms collector and enjoy shooting sports. Again, that's a really nice find. The Frankengun (AR) in the avatar is mine. Sig 516 Patrol rifle upper with good optics and Steiner OTAL laser designator. It's a good dependable shooter.as is the Mossberg 590SP. All the best to you. Enjoy that Colt.

·
Registered
10 Posts
PS. I used to get through California quite a bit LOL. That had a lot to do with being an over the road driver for a few years. Sure is a lovely state.

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms! Worked as an engineering
11,406 Posts
I believe that third hole that is plugged through that cast block was to dissuade conversions to full auto.

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms! Worked as an engineering
11,406 Posts
OOPS! Guess I did not read the rest of the comments. Looks like it adds more weight to the gun. Maybe stiffens up the receiver for better accuracy??

AC

1 - 13 of 13 Posts