Marlin Firearms Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
It is hard to watch the ammo prices climb around the Houston area. People are shelling out a dollar per round for standard FMJ pistol ammo. I would feel sorry for them, but this is the price you have to pay for not being prepared for life's challenges. Add the election year, COVID-19, a few months of riots and looting, and you wonder why so many people are running to empty gun stores looking for a feeling of security.
I even purchase ammo this week for my 444P, a Rifle which I have never shot, but only had 14 boxes of ammo for it. I found a dealer online that had a case of Marlin 265 Grain Core-Lokt for $269 with free shipping. That was close enough to a good price that I had to purchase it. Now, I have 24 Boxes of ammo for a rifle that I will probably never shoot. Problem solved, now I can sleep at night having corrected a deficiency in my ammo supply, and it only cost me $269, what a deal.
The election alone should have clued people to there being a problem.
Kinda sad that an election brings on a gun/ammo buying binge.
What does that say about us as a country?

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
I expect the ammo situation to get even worse, If we are to believe the news reports....COVID-19 is starting to surge again globally and many communities are headed back into lockdown. This could affect the supply chain even more and slow production as demand continues to climb. The rioting situation is not improving either. What looks like high prices now may be a bargain in a few months.

·
Registered
19,692 Posts
Ammo...the new currency!

·
Super Moderator
11,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Ammo...the new currency!
No kidding. During the Obama rush I was trading 9mm reload for buckets of wheel weights.
I could get a full bucket no zinc for 50 rounds.
Needless to say I milked that cow until it was dry.
Probably the bulk of my lead stash came from swapping.

·
Super Moderator
13,064 Posts
It is hard to watch the ammo prices climb around the Houston area. People are shelling out a dollar per round for standard FMJ pistol ammo. I would feel sorry for them, but this is the price you have to pay for not being prepared for life's challenges. Add the election year, COVID-19, a few months of riots and looting, and you wonder why so many people are running to empty gun stores looking for a feeling of security.
I even purchase ammo this week for my 444P, a Rifle which I have never shot, but only had 14 boxes of ammo for it. I found a dealer online that had a case of Marlin 265 Grain Core-Lokt for $269 with free shipping. That was close enough to a good price that I had to purchase it. Now, I have 24 Boxes of ammo for a rifle that I will probably never shoot. Problem solved, now I can sleep at night having corrected a deficiency in my ammo supply, and it only cost me $269, what a deal.
Hey, fellow Houstonian. 444 Marlin is a real good caliber to start loading for.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
The LGS around here are bare. Not a (HD) shotgun in sight (all sold out months ago.) If they get a delivery, it doesn't last long. Handgun applications & sales are at a high. The LGS said they are seeing "a lot" of 1st time buyers. And with the election coming up.. people are buying.
The protesting & riots has had many people running out to buy guns &ammo. Around here, even the liberals are buying guns. lol I guess all that looting and vandalism that's going on around the country has them a little worried (sarcasm.) We told you so... and they thought we (gun owners) were crazy for having guns. lol

·
Registered
45 Posts
The only item I've found hard to get here in the land of crocodiles and drop-bears is .22 rimfire ammo. Have to be very lucky to find my favourite Winchester subsonic HP but there is often CCI on the shelves as an alternative. Primers, projectiles are in good supply. Winchester powder is no longer imported here, but we make ADI here so that's always around. (Plus I have a decent stash of Alliant 2400 for my .44mag hog stopper).

21 - 28 of 28 Posts