Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dropped in to a local motorcycle board I haven't been to in a while.
Lordy! Guns are being bought and sold more than ever.
Ammo is being sold on the board and people asking where to find it.
I guess I'm insulated because I reload.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Awaiting and preparing for the impending storm...

Reactions: marlinluvr

·
Registered
741 Posts
I went to one of my local gunshops last week to pick up a gun I bought on Gunbroker. The shop is normally pretty well stocked, but this day there was only one rifle, a pink 10-22 and three handguns. A guy was waiting on his nics check to buy one of them. He had some ammo, mostly military calibers 9mm, 223, 762 x 39. The owner said it was not easy to get, and he would take whatever he could get. It all sells fast.

·
Registered
19,692 Posts
Pretty set for a bit, but will still pick up stuff whenever I see something on the shelves I could use! For those just gettin' into OUR world, they're in for a rude awakening!

·
Registered
822 Posts
Did a gun show here in DFW this weekend.
Good crowd even for a new venue.
Black guns were flying off the tables. Very little ammo to be had. You could count on one hand the guns being brought in to trade/sell by the public.
It was kind of refreshing to see people you know would never have a gun in their house standing in front of tables attentively listening and learning. Kind of gives me a little bit of hope.

·
Super Moderator
11,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was thinking it might be time to sell a couple of pistols I never shoot.
Finance for something I will shoot when things calm down.
Sellers market.

·
Super Moderator
26,244 Posts
I was thinking it might be time to sell a couple of pistols I never shoot.
Finance for something I will shoot when things calm down.
Sellers market.

Well, I was contemplating the same, BJ. But the current prospects of picking up what I want, or the what girls want, seem to be slim to none.

Spoke with a buddy who works in the industry, distributor, he said the entire distribution chain is pretty much wiped out. It may take until 2022 before we see it return to some normalcy.

Glad I seriously bumped up reloading supplies following the shortages with Obama's reign of terror.

Jack

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Well, I was contemplating the same, BJ. But the current prospects of picking up what I want, or the what girls want, seem to be slim to none.

Spoke with a buddy who works in the industry, distributor, he said the entire distribution chain is pretty much wiped out. It may take until 2022 before we see it return to some normalcy.

Glad I seriously bumped up reloading supplies following the shortages with Obama's reign of terror.

Jack
Same here Jack. I see people looking for anything that will shoot a bullet out the barrel. Others complaining about how some people are gouging others for ammo and reloading components. Well that's an aspect of capitalism, buy low - sell high.
Anyone who's been through these political rollercoasters knows that you always stock up, especially during the good years. If you didn't well....get busy. When Trump wins its still going to be hard finding anything.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Did a gun show here in DFW this weekend.
Good crowd even for a new venue.
Black guns were flying off the tables. Very little ammo to be had. You could count on one hand the guns being brought in to trade/sell by the public.
It was kind of refreshing to see people you know would never have a gun in their house standing in front of tables attentively listening and learning. Kind of gives me a little bit of hope.
Was that the Big Town show over in Mesquite? Never been to that one. Went to the Premier Show in Allen 2 weekends ago. Very over priced on pretty much everything.

·
Super Moderator
4,943 Posts
Primers? .... good luck!

I have enough for maybe a year to 18 months, but I waited too long to really stock up. Looks like I better cut my re-loading and shooting down for at least 4-5 months to see how things may be moving. I only have 2k small pistol, 3k large pistol and 1k large rifle - and a few of each in the current "use batch". I could also have on hand at least a dozen more pounds of powders and a few thousand more various cast boolits - just in case I'm still breathing good air when it all turns to crap.

jd

·
Registered
366 Posts
I am good for brass, primers, powder. Some bullets are a bit of an issue but there is still a readily available supply of lead cast so I am adding them to the inventory.

Reactions: BubbaJon

·
Registered
13,498 Posts
You would be surprised at all the products that are in short supply. The CV19 stuff is about 50% bull feathers. The stores are allowed to remain open, not just grocery stores either. There is panic buying of storable foods, lumber, appliances, you name it. It ain’t just guns and related stuff. Tell me the country isn’t going to roar back. I don’t remember any time in my like that we didn’t have more supply than demand. Including OPEC in 1973. We have been raped a couple times on gasoline and some short term gouges but supply always meets the demand. The Democrats are scared this economy is going to take off before elections. Trump just boxed them again with Exec Orders on assistance packages. They won’t dare try to stop these funds from the public.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Was that the Big Town show over in Mesquite? Never been to that one. Went to the Premier Show in Allen 2 weekends ago. Very over priced on pretty much everything.
Was the South Fork show that used to be the Market Hall Dallas Arms Collectors Show.
Big Town is this coming weekend, I believe.

·
Super Moderator
11,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Primers? .... good luck!

I have enough for maybe a year to 18 months, but I waited too long to really stock up. Looks like I better cut my re-loading and shooting down for at least 4-5 months to see how things may be moving.
jd
Yeah - me too. I thought I had plenty but apparently I must have "let the good times roll" at some point (likely after Trump got elected). So my reload supplies weren't properly calibrated. But I do seem to have plenty where it counts - small pistol primers. Small rifle are merely ok - Large Pistol is my low spot - I like shooting the 44 way too much ;)

Reactions: mr surveyor

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
I was in a gunshop a couple days ago that has one room devoted to reloading supplies.
I have been a good customer in the past, buying powder, bullets, dies & a couple of guns over the past 24 months.
They had an old box of Oregon Trail 32-20 cast bullets for $38 that I bought & asked about primers.
Owner said that you have to buy 1000 bullets to buy 1000 primers & price on the primers? $80!
I guess that I will try to direct my business elsewhere in the future.

I don't think that the gun show that I did last week end was that well attended, as I remember the last couple shows that I went to were pretty crowded.
However, they put a restriction on how many could be in the building at once (COVID- big line outside) & think some just gave up & went home.
On the other hand, I sold a Norinco SKS for $550, who would have thunk? And a dealer bought a gun from me at full price before the show opened.
I suppose what I thought were reasonable prices are not anymore.

Reactions: BubbaJon

·
Super Moderator
13,064 Posts
I've been burning thru a brick of primers a month or more since last year, but I'm gonna slow down. I have about 6-7 years left in my supply but you never know. More time to ride I guess.

·
Registered
107 Posts
It is hard to watch the ammo prices climb around the Houston area. People are shelling out a dollar per round for standard FMJ pistol ammo. I would feel sorry for them, but this is the price you have to pay for not being prepared for life's challenges. Add the election year, COVID-19, a few months of riots and looting, and you wonder why so many people are running to empty gun stores looking for a feeling of security.
I even purchase ammo this week for my 444P, a Rifle which I have never shot, but only had 14 boxes of ammo for it. I found a dealer online that had a case of Marlin 265 Grain Core-Lokt for $269 with free shipping. That was close enough to a good price that I had to purchase it. Now, I have 24 Boxes of ammo for a rifle that I will probably never shoot. Problem solved, now I can sleep at night having corrected a deficiency in my ammo supply, and it only cost me $269, what a deal.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts