Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:questionmark: What are you guys & gals using for humidity control in your safes? I opened mine today and noticed some mold growing on the stock of my 1959 Winchester '94. I'm reluctant to just open a box of baking soda and leave it in there, because I know that sooner or later it will get spilled all over the guns.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
First, I keep the safes in a dry, heated and cooled room. I also keep one if those desiccant boxes in each safe. When they get tired just pop them in the oven. Oh, and I keep everything well oiled...

·
Premium Member
12,147 Posts
I have my safe in the A/C and we run it full time around here so not near as humid as Florida is most places. I don't have that many guns or that big of safe and take the guns out and wipe them down every couple of weeks. There are several products that are sold to control the humidity in safes that I have seen and none are very costly.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I run a dehumidifier year round. No moisture to start with, so just adding a little extra. Also, rub on my guns enough to keep them well lubed.
I have one soft cotton old wore out tee shirt that I always use under anything I am spraying with oil. It's handy and ready and I use it to wipe down everything before leaving the firearm in the safe.
I guess I'm lucky not to have any moisture present.

·
Banned
2,263 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
My safes are in a room that's kept at the same temps as the rest the house, so humidity has never been an issue. I've never found a need to use anything extra to control it. I also never go very long without opening the safes to get something out, and make a habit of taking all of them out at least once every 6 months to give them a swab down the bore, and external wipe down, even if they haven't been out to shoot.

·
Registered
395 Posts
well I have a few safes, and have some in not so great places
have one in a basement/garage, that I suck about 25 gallons of water out daily in summer time with a dehumidfier
and in that safe, a rather Big one, I have 8 of the largest golden rods they make in it, nd replace them every 10 yrs or so
they stay warm to the touch, and IF one fails, they go cold(so I keep tabs on them
I surround the guns with them, safe is broken into 2 sides, so I have one on each side of each wall, starting about 2 inches off the floor of the safe and then up the wall
and to date(almost 20 yrs now like this) not a gun has been damaged in it, and I know its a crappy place to have a safe, due to so much moisture in the area
but space is limited, and again, has not been a problem running it like this
so I am a fan of the golden rods for sure!, wish they made bigger one's to be honest!

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms!
11,361 Posts
Mold likes linseed oiled stocks. That is one reason why I, and the Japanese in WWII used Tung oil which is mold resistant. Rust requires 50% or higher relative humidity to promote rust. That is how a Golden Rod works. It raises the temperature which reduces the relative humidity. A 40 watt light bulb will produce the same amount of heat as a 40 watt rod. Good advice on this tread. AC

1 - 12 of 12 Posts