Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Which do you have?

I have a gun safe, a metal gun cabinet, and a recently purchased wooden gun cabinet. I wanted the wooden gun cabinet to keep downstairs because I was always keeping a 22 and my Savage 223 handy for varmints. A quick search on Armslist and I found a 6-gun wooden cabinet with shelves on the side for $45. It also has a storage cabinet on the bottom. I installed a new lock on the door and a 12" long LED light in the top above the guns. Now I have a place to keep my 223, my waffletop 32 Special and 4 of my 22's. My other guns are upstairs, so these are real handy when I need them.

When deer season kicks in I'll swap some 22's out for some Marlin centerfire rifles.

·
Registered
903 Posts
To me, safer is better. Firearms are a double-edged sword. Wood is better than glass, and metal is better than wood. But, that case does look nice.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
I had a beautiful Oak gun cabinet I got when I was teen and had it for well over a decade before selling it off during my traveling years. That was a very different time though and now everything I have stays in three full size safes, not only for theft protection but the laws where they are kept requires it if you ever have a minor in the house. With Grandkids running about for me it's a must. I would love to have an old time cabinet like you have but unfortunately for me it's a bygone era.

·
Registered
409 Posts

This is the oak gun cabinet I built probably 20 years ago. Unfortunately as edcknives said, the days of having our guns on display are long gone. I couldn’t bring myself to sell the cabinet so I turned it into a book case to hold my reloading and hunting books. Hoping for those days of using it as a gun cabinet again return. I can easily turn it back into a gun cabinet.

Jim

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
I have had my Dad’s gun cabinet for years. Nice 10 gun cabinet - safety glass display window - and bottom storage drawer. It has also been in storage in a room off the garage for years. Really nice cabinet made by a cabinet maker my mom contracted to build it for Dad.

In this time we live in, even out here in the rural expanse of the South Plains I just don’t feel comfortable using it. Too damn many thieves in the world now.

But it is not a dead dinosaur- it will live on - my granddaughter and her husband have taken it to be used in their place. Will be nice to see it back in use.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
A locking, glass fronted gun cabinet may (but not necessarily) comply with Connecticut's safe storage laws. These laws were written to reasonably prevent access to firearms from minors and those not legally able to posess firearms. In reality a glass case may be secure against a curious 10 year old, but thats about it.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
A locking, glass fronted gun cabinet may (but not necessarily) comply with Connecticut's safe storage laws. These laws were written to reasonably prevent access to firearms from minors and those not legally able to posess firearms. In reality a glass case may be secure against a curious 10 year old, but thats about it.
I am not hedging my bets as they definitely lean heavily against gun owners in general here. Puts a whole new meaning to "better safe than sorry".

·
Registered
685 Posts
Here in CA, we do not have that option.
When I go to the range, I cannot put my ammunition in the back seat of my truck with my shotgun.
It has to ride around in the bed in an ammo can.

·
Super Moderator
11,669 Posts
Those are nice cabinets guys. I miss the days of feeling secure enough to keep them locked in a glass front cabinet. Had two family members with such cabinets get broke into and stuff stolen.

·
Premium Member
5,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This wooden gun cabinet is only temporary storage. There's plenty of room for these rifles in my safe if I need to really secure them. These are rifles that I shoot every week. I live in the country, so I do a lot of target practice from my back deck. My wife is disabled and she's home all day.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have the same cabinet for my Marlin and Henry lever guns. 👍

I guess I'm a cabinet guy! :cool:

thumbnail-339.jpeg thumbnail-340.jpeg thumbnail-341.jpeg thumbnail-342.jpeg thumbnail-343.jpeg thumbnail-344.jpeg

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
I have those of mine that fit in a safe. I have a couple of low $ value and zero sentimental value in my old cabinet. I am hoping that they get gone and valued guns in the safe are left alone.
I saw the destruction some young punk thug wannabes did to my niece's home. They literally turned every room inside out looking for loot. I had my guns in a double dead bolt closet and thought it to be secure. I bought a safe. I feel better now but even a safe can be opened. THANK YOU YouTube for the tutorial. :mad:

·
Registered
7,800 Posts

This is the oak gun cabinet I built probably 20 years ago. Unfortunately as edcknives said, the days of having our guns on display are long gone. I couldn’t bring myself to sell the cabinet so I turned it into a book case to hold my reloading and hunting books. Hoping for those days of using it as a gun cabinet again return. I can easily turn it back into a gun cabinet.

Jim
I have one made from a kit that is Oak and it looks exactly like yours. It is only used for Air guns not firearms in it. Everything moved into steel gun cabinets and safe and not all eggs in one basket. Only gun that stays out is my personal protection gun and 1 shotgun. Always a good idea to mount the gun cabinets off the floor (in case of flooding) preferably to cinder block wall and run a heating rod in it to chase moisture out. Gun cabinets should be hidden from open view and distributed to several locations. One of my buds who is a Vietnam Vet leaves a decoy firearm out with ammo for thieves to steel only the ammo is severely overloaded with bullseye so it will blow up the gun if fired.

·
Premium Member
5,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I don't watch a lot of TV, but my wife and I will usually sit down and watch the Andy Griffith Show and Gomer Pyle, and sometimes Green Acres on MeTv. It's nice to use the light in this gun cabinet as the background light, rather than using a lamp.

It reminds us of simpler times, when our country wasn't in the mess it's in now.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Years ago my dad made two gun cabinets, one for himself and one for my aunt and uncle. They’re really nice cabinets with sliding glass doors and made to fit in the corner of the room. My dad has never been one to “advertise” , but it is still in use almost 40 years later and still full to the brim. He did acquire a safe some years ago. That’s kept a bit more hidden and valuable stuff gets stored there. And of course there are some purchases that he’s made since I‘ve grown and moved out that I have never seen and aren’t stored in either the cabinet or the safe.

·
Registered
19,549 Posts
This wooden gun cabinet is only temporary storage. There's plenty of room for these rifles in my safe if I need to really secure them. These are rifles that I shoot every week. I live in the country, so I do a lot of target practice from my back deck. My wife is disabled and she's home all day.
Always nice to let the family come out and play...wipe them down...caress their wooden/blued steel skin...sit in front of the cabinet and ogle them through the glass door, remembering great times when our dad (or another loved one) gave us our first rifle/shotgun, the one under the Christmas tree or given to us on our birthday, the one dad religiously carried in the deer woods, the one WE shot our first deer with or Granddad's shotgun he used for deer...turkey...rabbit or out in the dove fields. Yes, lots of great memories for many here. The gun cabinet also represented a time that was slower, people were thoughtful to others, hard working, had strong family values and love for our country. When it's time to pick them up and put them away into a cold steel prison, a cold slap of reality hits, that we aren't living "back in the day" anymore!

guns in racks of high school trucks and display cases for the home. miss it badly
Seemed like just about all the guys I hung out with had a gun rack and if it wasn't currently holding a rifle, an axe handle took its place! Miss those days too!

·
Premium Member
5,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Speaking of gun racks, I still have an old wooden 4-gun rack hanging on my wall. It has the lockable storage on the bottom. I use it for air rifles because guns in a gun rack get dusty. I rest them right side up in the rack to keep the dust out of the pump/cocking system.

Reactions: Ruga Booga

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
It's either steel gun cabinets or gun safe or like I have been fortunate to see some of our collectors have a secure "Gun Room". Basically a cinder block enclosed room with a steel lined door that cannot be kicked in. The whole room has gun shop style gun racks along the circumference of the room on top of low storage cabinets. They have a center island table where they work on the rifles. Very nice setup !!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts