Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Left and right, the groups are 1 inch at 100 yards. But up and down, the groups are 4 inches at 100 yards. I have tried different weights and brands of bullets and several different kinds of powder, all with the same results, verical strings. I have let the barrel cool between shots, and I have shot with a hot barrel, same results. I have checked the band screws and scope screws. I have changed scopes, same results. I don't want to get rid of the rifle, because I was lucky enough to find a 356 this summer. This is probably the reason he was willing to sell the rifle.

I want to hunt with the rifle this fall, but I can not figure it out. I need help.

·
Administrator
23,798 Posts
Taylor, Vertical stringing is generally caused by the bbl heating up and pulling on the fwd screw holding the magazine, in a lever gun.

#2 Not enough pressure causing erratic spread in fps, this does not affect
groups side to side, generally bringing up the fps causes the groups to round up. By round up you may get a 2.5 group but no vertical stringing.

#3 If you are resting the forstock on sand bags, rest the rifle closer to the action, not far out. I don't know why this works it just does. Just a levergun phenom.

#4 If you are using a low power scope you may be seeing a ghost of your front sight. If you are, light reflection will cause it to vetical string.
The cures. A. Use a higher power scope to work your loads.
B. Remove the sight hood.
C. If the above helps sand blast the hood and reblue,
this will give it a matte finish, cold blue works here.

·
Registered
18 Posts
You're probably not doing this, but I thought I would mention it just in case. Some people wrap the sling around their arm to help stabilize the gun when they're shooting (even off the bench). Sling pressure on the lower tube will sometimes cause vertical stringing. If you're using a sling at the bench...don't. That might help some. HTH

·
Registered
555 Posts
Taylor
I have a 336ER in the 356 It is very accurate I get tight groups with it.But my father had a 35 rem. rechambered to the 356 and I had to experiment some to get his to shoot tight groups.I finally figured it out it was the ''COL''.I had to adjust the ''COL'' to a little above the maximum COL. And it fixed the problem.He gets real tight groups now.I don't know if this would help you.
Just my 2 cents worth

·
Registered
131 Posts
Taylor,
What shape is the barrel in? Does it seem to be worn? Is their damage to the end of the barrel? If it is you might be able to get it recrowned?

Just some questions that you probably have already thought of.
PB

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will try to answer some of the questions. I have not tried shooting the gun without a scope. I have old eyes and need a scope. I have tried moving the front rest up and down the forearm. The barrel and bore are in good condition. I have a 3 to 9 Nikon mounted on the rifle. I will take the front sight and sight hood off the rifle to see if it helps. If all else fails, I will use old faithful to hunt with, a 35 Marlin, and keep experimenting with the 356.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Taylor:
Remove the Mag tube and fore end and single load your rifle. if it groups good, then your problem is in the mounting of either the fore end or the Mag tube is putting preasure on the barrel.

Lee L.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I worked all weekend on the 356, same results. I got fed up and got rid of it today. I made a full disclosure of the problems to the buyer. I purchased a 375 Marlin, reloading dies, and brass with the funds. I am looking for bullets. Deer and bear season starts in November.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am as happy as a kid in a candy store. The 375 Marlin came with a box of factory ammo. It has had a trigger job and the action as been smoothed. I went to the range and sighted the gun in at 125 yards with the factory ammo. It will hold a 2 1/2 inch group at 125 yards. It might do better, if I were steadier. After all the 356 problems and fustration, this is great.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Taylor
I use these http://www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/727126 and they work real well for me..

H 335 = 39.0 gr.
hornady 220 gr. fp.
cci 200 primers
COL.2.555

IMR 3031 = 34.0 gr.
hornady 220 gr. fp.
cci 200 primersw
COL. 2.555

H 322 = 38.0 gr.
sierra 200 gr fp.
cci 200 primers
COL.2.555

Here are three of my best loads for the 375 win. two are 220 gr. bullets and one is for a 200 gr. bullet.JUst in case thats what you were looking at.I have tested many loads for the 375 and these are my three most accurate loads out of MY rifle..
I hope this helps you some how..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts