Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see moves afoot to take away the 2nd Amendment again.

Mention of 'Australia style' laws.

I have read from many gun owners in the US that voice approval for licensing schemes. They feel it would be workable.

Well, I am in the UK, we have draconian licensing of course. We lost all right to shoot 'regular' cartridge pistols or semi-auto rifles above 22RF.

I get to shoot rifles.

I get to shoot Black Powder pistols.

I own a nice collection of Marlins, new and very old.

Gun licensing works, right?

No. When I am older, likely in my 70's or anytime sooner that I am perceived as being 'infirm', I will automatically lose my license, as I will lose my driving license.

Then ALL the guns I own will have to be disposed of. Sold into the licensed dealer network, or scrapped.

You see that's the infuriating thing about licensing. At the back of my mind, I know, I have never truly owned my guns, I just 'rent' them for a while with permission from the State. That permission can be removed at the drop of a hat, any time.

It goes without saying, you can't just pass-on your guns to offspring to inherit, as they face the same situation, individual licensing, they face the same situation of 'renting' their property as I do.

A million other reasons to keep the grubby paws of the State away from the 2nd.

Now, I'll go oil 'my' guns, kidding myself I own them...

·
Banned
19,622 Posts
G.Roamer:
Where in the USA do you read about gun owners approving gun licensing schemes? You must be hanging out in the wrong places. The White House website will tell you about "Common Sense" solutions. Or do the gun control Trolls have their own independent site? I've never heard any trash talk like that from firearm owners in my life,and I've been a shooter/hunter since 1960,and a reloader since '73. Please refer me to that site,so I can read it for myself. Thanks.

Rob

Reactions: njcioffi

·
Banned
2,262 Posts
They tried that here over 200 years ago...we ran them out of Dodge!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
The Trash talk comes from newspapers like the Daily Beast one of the
most liberal anti-gun newspapers out there.
Huffington Post and a few others.
It's all anti-gun propaganda. Of course the WH is in favor of
banning and confiscating firearms.
I haven't heard of a single gun owner in favor of these laws.
f course no one asks gun owners what we think.

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
Yeah, I would say that the info is from some kind of liberal site. Although we all need to stay on our toes about it.

But even though, if any kind of registration or licensing would even possibly become law in the distant future, most of us would just refuse to comply anyway.

·
Registered
11,599 Posts
Well, many people haven't really thought it through completely. The old, "that could never happen here" line of thinking. Which far too often in history has ended up being among those famous last words...

·
Registered
936 Posts

I have read from many gun owners in the US that voice approval for licensing schemes. They feel it would be workable.

Well, I am in the UK, we have draconian licensing of course. We lost all right to shoot 'regular' cartridge pistols or semi-auto rifles above 22RF.

I get to shoot rifles.

No. When I am older, likely in my 70's or anytime sooner that I am perceived as being 'infirm', I will automatically lose my license, as I will lose my driving license.

Then ALL the guns I own will have to be disposed of. Sold into the licensed dealer network, or scrapped.

You see that's the infuriating thing about licensing. At the back of my mind, I know, I have never truly owned my guns, I just 'rent' them for a while with permission from the State. That permission can be removed at the drop of a hat, any time.

It goes without saying, you can't just pass-on your guns to offspring to inherit, as they face the same situation, individual licensing, they face the same situation of 'renting' their property as I do.

Well now I'm really lucky 'cos I have just renewed my firearms and shotgun certificates so I will 'own' my firearms and shotguns for the next 5 years unless some idiot does something stupid then the firearms and shotguns I thought I owned will not be mine any more. So, maybe I didn't own them. But then I thought I bought them no, I must have just paid a deposit to keep them while I'm allowed to.

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
Well, many people haven't really thought it through completely. The old, "that could never happen here" line of thinking. Which far too often in history has ended up being among those famous last words...
Well, although we can never let our guard down and although some have lost faith in the NRA, they are still a pretty powerful force. Look how Obama couldn't even get background checks at gun shows through...

We also need to thank the GOA for their contributions.

Bill

·
Super Moderator
10,840 Posts

I get to shoot rifles.

All the negative stuff was in the fine print which was not disclosed at the time of signing. It is just like Obamacare------which is basically a death sentence to the old senior population. Complacency is the culprit---I know of a lot of gun owners that do not stand up for their rights. They think that their guns do not fall into the description of the banned models. Well guess what-----those libertards can spin anything once they get their foot in the door. At the stike of a pen they can turn your "Sporting firearms" into deadly weapons of mass destruction.

Reactions: Brocky

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
At least here in America we can put our guns in a trust and that means you can
pass the use of your guns to anyone listed in the trust.
It's not perfect as you can't prevent someone in thetrust from selling them.
But overall it makes life easier to pass them along.
Plus you can include fully automatic weapons in a trust with less hassle from
the BATF.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I haven't heard of this particular one but there are lots of liberal nut gun owners. Some on these forums. They think there is no reason anybody needs this or that and usually something about big "clips" and machine guns. They think the second is about hunting. Like the right to hunt was a big worry for guys that just told the king to go....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.