Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Be honest, is it just me and am I too picky? Hardly any of the sellers on Gun Broker list the serial number of the rifles they are selling. I don't even want the entire number, just enough to tell the date of manufacture. Marlin has made so many variations of their rifles over the years that a date of manufacture is needed while looking for a specific model. This is driving me crazy!!!! :banghead:

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some of the listings are unbelievable. I saw a 336 listed as a lever action double barreled 30-30.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Some of the listings are unbelievable. I saw a 336 listed as a lever action double barreled 30-30.
Is snatch that one up. Probably one of a kind.:hmmmm:

·
Banned
1,761 Posts
Well, if you sell a rifle here on MarlinOwners, one of the Mods will (kindly) delete the last part of the serial number - for your own protection.

It has to do with possible fraud involving registration.

On GB, if you ask for the first part of the serial number, the seller will likely tell you.

But if it's a Remlin, they might just try and hide that.

Brocky

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I only ask for the first couple of digits when I send them an e-mail, and I explain that I'm searching for a specific year rifle. Luckily I'm looking for a Texan, or I'd be spending a couple hours a day sending e-mail. The other one I can't figure out are the listings without a picture, but they claim it's in excellent condition.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
I just found a JM stamped 91XXXX 336 BL brand new in the box for an excellent price on gunbroker. I asked for the first two digits, he sent that and a picture of the JM stamp and the end label on the box.

I broke the BIN button I hit it so hard.

The other 7 sellers all replied with "MR".

·
Registered
480 Posts
I agree no useful info on condition & horrible photos. Then when you ask questions they only answer part of them... I feel your pain

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Most sellers on GB are large volume movers on that site and at their store front locations too plus they sell many different types of firearms, usually they have one part time employee (such as college kids) taking pictures and writing descriptions & posting ads who may know zero about certain firearms and things like year made, matching numbers and other things you might deem important but most will gladly answer if e-mails if they have time. Many who sell firearms don't care what year a firearm was made, they just having selling on their minds, it must work because they sell a lot on there, just ask my banker. :biggrin:

Reactions: 1022

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Unless one is searching for a specific production year, you don't need a serial number to find the Marlin you want. Just do your "homework" in advance by studying examples you see (in person and on-line) and period catalogs; then it's very simple to ID the production period from which any Marlin lever was made. Some examples to illustrate my point: 48-56 models don't have hammers grooved for a hammer spur, 48 and 49 models have the old style model 36 opening lever, 50 and 51 models have new style levers and "waffle top" matting, 52-55 models have smooth tops that aren't factory d & t'd, 58 - 82 models have a gold plated trigger, any non-cowboy model with a serial number on the left side of the frame was made after the Rem takeover and most will have been made in Ilion, NY, any Marlin 336 with a CBS was made in 1983 and later, any gun with a serial number on the top tang was made in 1968 and later, and on and on and on. I've purchased several Marlin levers off GB and have never been burned. One can generally tell by the condition of a rifle's screw slots what kind of care that gun has received (there are also other details I look for); and I won't buy a gun from a seller who won't make sure he has posted good clear pix that allow for good evaluation. Identifying and buying Marlin rifles is far from being rocket science; it's all a matter of knowing what to look for as regards period features, and using plain old common sense.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know that I'm the oddball who's looking for a 1961 Texan with a "U" prefix serial number. I don't want one that's been so abused that there's deep rust pitting, but honest wear from usage is fine with me. I'd like a project gun that was made the year I was born, and if it's in too nice of a condition I would feel guilty cutting down the barrel and spraying cerakote on the metal.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I've bought quite a few off gunbroker. If in doubt I send the seller a request for information. It's always worked for me. And I must say I've dealt with some pretty good sellers there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts