Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know how long the gummies can be in the magazine before they turn FP? Anyone here leave them in the magazine for a while?

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
I don't think they will go flat.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
I know this will sound like heresy, but that is why I don't depend on the elasticity of a bit of plastic for my safety or the success of my hunt. There are a variety of factors like time and temperature that can affect it. For example, you have a 2 year old box of LE ammo and at the hunt you load up your favorite levergun with the still warm bullets. They squish a little in the magazine (as designed), and then in the pre-dawn freezing temps they stiffen up. Do you know for certain that the improved ballistics are going to work on 2 year old frozen plastic? It could mean the difference in missing the shot if you were counting on the bullet going farther due to the aerodynamics of a pointy tip.

Maybe I'm just too narrow in my thinking.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
I know they did specific testing on this sorta stuff and below freezing temps. but I can't recall the article or who posted it,fire off a letter to Hornady and see what they say , could be an interesing topic

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
T-Bone said:
I know this will sound like heresy, but that is why I don't depend on the elasticity of a bit of plastic for my safety or the success of my hunt. There are a variety of factors like time and temperature that can affect it. For example, you have a 2 year old box of LE ammo and at the hunt you load up your favorite levergun with the still warm bullets. They squish a little in the magazine (as designed), and then in the pre-dawn freezing temps they stiffen up. Do you know for certain that the improved ballistics are going to work on 2 year old frozen plastic? It could mean the difference in missing the shot if you were counting on the bullet going farther due to the aerodynamics of a pointy tip.

Maybe I'm just too narrow in my thinking.
With all due respect I think you are way off base. I have used 3 year old FTX ammo in freezing and sub freezing temps with the results I expected.
This was 370 yards in freezing temps

This was real cold that morning.

This was the view before this deer was shot at 220 yards

This was the exit wound

The stuff flat out works.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I don't leave them in the gun for extended periods. In Washington you have to unload the gun before getting in a vehicle so my rifle doesn't stay loaded for longer than 12 hours. The deer I killed with an FTX went down without taking a step.

I did read somewhere that Hornady expects the tip to recover in the chamber.

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
They will make dimple marks on the primers when they are in the mag tube. I don't think it's an issue, but check your primers. This is especially noticeable on CCI primers.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Big Medicine,

I did at least warn you it would seem like heresy. I figure maybe I'll come around in another 50-75 years like all the other calibers I have. Heck, I'm just now warming up to the 6.5x55 Swede.

·
Registered
9,665 Posts
Take a bullet and put it in the freezer for a few hours and see if it will bend and flex back. This could be checked with new and old ammunition. Would also be interesting to know how fast it flexes back. ???

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
janott said:
Take a bullet and put it in the freezer for a few hours and see if it will bend and flex back. This could be checked with new and old ammunition. Would also be interesting to know how fast it flexes back. ???
I had already thought about that this afternoon. And planned to do that and also a drop test

·
Registered
9,665 Posts
big medicine said:
I had already thought about that this afternoon. And planned to do that and also a drop test
Drop that frozen bullet face down in a pipe. ;D

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
janott said:
Drop that frozen bullet face down in a pipe. ;D
Exactly, with other cartridges to see if there is any marks on the primers.

·
Registered
9,665 Posts
big medicine said:
Not so sure I would do that, but be more interested to see if the plastic tip bends or stays straight.

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
big medicine said:
They will mark the primers.

·
Premium Member
5,225 Posts
I'm with Alan on this one. I don't rifle hunt in nice weather. In fact all my shots the last 4 or 5 years have been during the coldest of December and Jan. That is below 20 for any given day. The one this year was -10.

·
Premium Member
8,169 Posts
It would also be interesting to see how well the polymer tip holds up after exposure to various oils and solvents. Does it turn to putty with some (too much elasticity?), or lose elasticity with others... ???

Not that we have a butt load of oils or solvents in our mag tubes, but it sort of makes me wonder if any of the aromatic volatiles in some oils and solvents, combined with a confined space (like a mag tube), would have an impact over an extended period of time on the polymer.

I have used the .35 Remington LE ammo in my 336C at temps as low as -20*F with no adverse affects. I smacked a doe two seasons ago, near the end of a darn cold day, at about 60 yards with a well-place broadside hit - - she didn't D(ie)R(ight)T(hen), but she did D(rop)R(ight)T(here). The exit wound was about the size of a nickle, the lungs and heart were gone, the far shoulder was terribly bloodshot, but intact (made sausage out of that one), and it took about a minute for her to expire.

Back at the truck, after unloading the remaining four rounds from the magazine, the LE ammo was somewhat flattened, but that one shot still worked on that doe - - and given the amount of bloodshot meat, maybe too well.

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
T-Bone said:
Big Medicine,

Heck, I'm just now warming up to the 6.5x55 Swede.
You have a LONG way to go my friend (jk)! I LOVE the 6.5 Swede. My go to favorite. And now my son loves it as well, after dropping all three of his deer in their tracks over the last cpl years.

As for the gummy tip, I wouldn't be concerned. Plastic polymer technology is amazing. And I would also guess that even if you simply cut off the gummy tip, it would probably work just about the same.

Had some intial jamming issues with my 35 Rem. As a result I cycled a tube full of rounds through the rifle a bunch of times. I also noticed the slight dimples in the primers. Spooked me initially, but didnt get any worse, so I got over it...

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
T-Bone said:
I know this will sound like heresy, but that is why I don't depend on the elasticity of a bit of plastic for my safety or the success of my hunt. There are a variety of factors like time and temperature that can affect it. For example, you have a 2 year old box of LE ammo and at the hunt you load up your favorite levergun with the still warm bullets. They squish a little in the magazine (as designed), and then in the pre-dawn freezing temps they stiffen up.
As for temperature. It seems I remember reading Hornady tested them down to -40 deg F. One of the magazines (can't remember which one) wrote an article where they tested them down to -20 as they didn't have anything to get the temperature colder. The gun mag had no issues.

As far as age goes, I'd write Hornady. But what usually kills flexibility in plastics is exposure to UV. Since I'm not planning on leaving my bullets laying in the sun, that's not something I'm concerned about.

Besides the rifle's so darn much fun to shoot that, for me personally, the ammo won't last that long unless I buy a couple cases at a time ;) ;D

As for permanent deformation from being left in the magazine, if you practice good safety, that shouldn't be an issue. I unload mine at the end of the day.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Naw, I don't think I'll write Hornady. I also don't see the point in starting a debate on the merits of the caliber. Marlin and Hornady had their reasons to make it available and the folks that post here thought it was worth their money. That's what it is all about really. I was just answering the subject of the post.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I would be more concerned about the ammo left in the gun for long periods of time. The 308 MX magazine (no round chambered) stays loaded all the time and sits in a rifle rack in the kitchen closet. Its ready when coyotes, pigs, or other vermin come by unexpectedly. I the past Dad's .257 Roberts bolt gun has been their constantly and we have noticed ammo in the bottom of the magazine has battered bullet tips, as they don't get rotated often. I am concerned about the same issue with the Marlin as a round is shot and the magazine just gets topped off. The rifle usually gets a thorough cleaning every 3 months, so the ammo will sit in the mag for that long and then get reloaded into the mag after cleaning.

Gary

1 - 20 of 28 Posts