Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
I have been looking for a Marlin 45-70 for some time. I have a friend that is going to show me a Guide Gun Monday. The gun is in great shape with XS sights. What would be a fair price for this. I am somewhat apprehensive about the short barrel. Thanks in advance.
If you can get for 400 bucks you would be doing ok

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I prefer a longer barrel as I am a big guy but I own a guide gun because it was in the shop for a great price years ago. It is a nice rifle and it performs so good I would never trade it for a longer barrel. It is a dream to carry in the woods. I bought a big ol Henry 45-70 instead of a 22” remlin to scratch that itch.

·
Registered
108 Posts
You don't really lose a lot with the shorter barrel in terms of ballistics on the 45-70. I mean, your slinging a small Volkswagen out of it, the loss of a 100 FPS in velocity is not gonna make a lot of difference when it hits what your aiming at. The flip side is the shorter barrel is balanced quite well and is quicker in the woods. just my $.02!

·
Premium Member
3,163 Posts
The accuracy will amaze you. In thick brush or a stand the guide gun handles superbly. You won’t be disappointed!

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Here's another advocate for the short barreled guide gun. If your shots are usually under 200 yds, the little powerhouse "Whoopa$$-to-Go" guide gun will do it all. My wife bought me an 1895GS in 2005. Since that time my .30-06 and .338 WM have seen virtually no action.

You won't be disappointed with your purchase.

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
Depends on which model and condition but $500-600 for the 1895G and $700-800 for the 1895GS is typical. Why the apprehension over the short barrel? Every one I have owned has been an excellent shooter and the size is very handy.
:dito:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.