Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who here has a full length XS lever rail on their 1895 Guide Gun? I am looking for some pics and advice. A while back I had that set up on a Remlin 1895ABL, but the front sight was canted and I never got used to it so I removed it. Well I just picked up an guide gun 1895M that I am considering buying this set up for. I want the peep sight option, and maybe a longer eye relief scope I can use with quick release rings. Just curious who may have theirs set up this way and opinions on use??

Reactions: moofy07

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is the XS setup I’m considering. I don’t think I’d like the scout scope so far forward though. I saw one with the scope almost all the way back to the peep I thought might like it like that. I am not sure what I want to do yet. Just looking for options

·
Registered
856 Posts
For me, the advantage of the forward scout scope mount is both eyes open shooting. Makes for quicker sight alignment using the scope. My first 1895M was set up with the Leupold single power scout. I now have a variable power Leupold scout set up on my Ruger Scout Rifle. With the scout rail, you can experiment with both options. The XS rail is aluminum so the weight is negligible and won’t affect balance. Also, the XS rail just looks good on the rifle with or without a scope mounted.

·
Super Moderator
26,131 Posts
My new 1895sbl came with full length xs leverail fitted and ive added a vortex scout scope with Leupold qd mounts
View attachment 713250
I have the same set-up on a 1999 JM 1895G but have the Vortex scope set further back. I wear tri-focal eye glasses and that set-up works for me.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I have the same set-up on a 1999 JM 1895G but have the Vortex scope set further back. I wear tri-focal eye glasses and that set-up works for me.
You got a pic of it?
My problem with scout scopes kind of stems from the fact that I was taught to shoot right handed, but my dominant eye is my left. I’ve never been able to shoot with both eyes open, I only figured why recently. That said, that’s why I think I’d want to have the scope mounted as far back as I can. Basically as close to a normal set up as possible. Again, this is alll just an idea. I have scoped guns and guns with open sights. I just thought this could turn into a one gun option for me while at camp if I could make the quick release scope work on this rifle. Just an idea but seems like it could be a good one

I found the pic below on another website of the idea I’m thinking would work for me. I don’t know whose rifle it is, I just like the scope and rail idea

Attachments

·
Registered
589 Posts
Here are two with full size rails:
Gun Firearm Rifle Air gun Trigger

·
Registered
285 Posts
I had a rail added to my customized GS, currently looking for a red dot to mount on top.

Firearm Gun Trigger Rifle Gun accessory

Ray

·
Registered
254 Posts
That is the XS setup I’m considering. I don’t think I’d like the scout scope so far forward though. I saw one with the scope almost all the way back to the peep I thought might like it like that. I am not sure what I want to do yet. Just looking for options
This configuration is a bit further back with view through sights to keep the XS ghost rings available. I am in the process of moving to a different configuration but it should give you an idea of the appearance.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
You got a pic of it?
My problem with scout scopes kind of stems from the fact that I was taught to shoot right handed, but my dominant eye is my left. I’ve never been able to shoot with both eyes open, I only figured why recently. That said, that’s why I think I’d want to have the scope mounted as far back as I can. Basically as close to a normal set up as possible. Again, this is alll just an idea. I have scoped guns and guns with open sights. I just thought this could turn into a one gun option for me while at camp if I could make the quick release scope work on this rifle. Just an idea but seems like it could be a good one I found the pic below on another website of the idea I’m thinking would work for me. I don’t know whose rifle it is, I just like the scope and rail idea

Scout scope is set up forward of the action. It uses a long eye relief scope. it helps with quick acquisition of your target and/or shooting with both eyes open.

A scout scope setup may not be for you if you prefer the scope mounted towards the rear peep sight. That's more of a traditional style scope mounting.

I have the same issue with being left eye dominate and right handed. However, I have trained myself to shoot scoped rifles left handed.
I have also trained myself to shoot iron sights with both eyes open (right hand or left hand.) It's all in the training.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Scout scope is set up forward of the action. It uses a long eye relief scope. it helps with quick acquisition of your target and/or shooting with both eyes open.

A scout scope setup may not be for you if you prefer the scope mounted towards the rear peep sight. That's more of a traditional style scope mounting.

I have the same issue with being left eye dominate and right handed. However, I have trained myself to shoot scoped rifles left handed.
I have also trained myself to shoot iron sights with both eyes open (right hand or left hand.) It's all in the training.

Maybe you guys are right and a scout scope is not for me. Good conversation though. I may still go with the rail. I have a set of quick release rings. Worst case I want a peep sight anyway, and I already have other scoped Marlins. Sounds like a good “problem” to have I guess ;)

Reactions: bkg1956

·
Super Moderator
26,131 Posts
You got a pic of it?
My problem with scout scopes kind of stems from the fact that I was taught to shoot right handed, but my dominant eye is my left. I’ve never been able to shoot with both eyes open, I only figured why recently. That said, that’s why I think I’d want to have the scope mounted as far back as I can. Basically as close to a normal set up as possible. Again, this is alll just an idea. I have scoped guns and guns with open sights. I just thought this could turn into a one gun option for me while at camp if I could make the quick release scope work on this rifle. Just an idea but seems like it could be a good one

I found the pic below on another website of the idea I’m thinking would work for me. I don’t know whose rifle it is, I just like the scope and rail idea
This is the set-up I have. The XS rail and sights came with the Marlin 1895G. I bought the Vortex scout scope and used some rings I had laying around. The scope is placed on the rails perfect for my eye relief with my glasses.
Gun Firearm Trigger Air gun Airsoft gun
Gun Firearm Trigger Air gun Airsoft gun

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
My SBL came with the rail and I mounted a Nikon Bushmaster 3-9X40 on it for my tired old eyes. I had to go with Leupold high QD rings to clear the peep if I want to use open sights. The nice thing about the Leupold QD rings is that you can take the scope off very quickly and use the open sights. If you put the scope back on in the same place you will never lose the POI. I use the Leupold QD rings on all my rifles equipped with a scope.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well for anyone following this, I ended up buying an XS rear sight and a red Williams fiber optic front sight. I’ll post some pics when it all arrives on the big brown truck. Thanks for all the input back and forth. Looking forward to shooting it!

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
My big comment on rails, is that in some cases they can really hurt you. Carrying a railed rifle last fall bare handed, took a fall holding onto the rifle, and the uncovered portion of the rail tore at the palm of my hand.. Placed rail covers on that protion of the rail to fix that problem.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.