Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Guide Gun Set

1811 Views 13 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  Coalsmoke
I just placed an order for a Guide Gun Set for my ported 45-70 Guide Gun.

I am very excited, everything I've read says they are the best.

Can't wait to try them out!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
I ordered my GG set last Friday. The old sights are off the gun and I too am waiting with great anticipation.
Rear sights are finished, making Guide Gun Front Sights Today and Tomorrow. Anxious to send the best sights we can to you!

Thanks!

Andy
SWEET!

I am very excited. The more I shoot my guide gun the more I HATE the stock sights.

I can't wait.

Thanks for the update, I really appreciate it.
Both orders should ship today, Thursday.

Thanks guys,

Let me know how you like your sights!

Andy
Very cool.

Everyone said you had great customer service and great sights. They were right about the customer service, and I'll get to find out about the sights soon.

I will post a range report as soon as I get them mounted and sighted.

Thanks for the update.
I got my Guide Gun set today and got it installed. I had to fit the front sight dovetail, and although it was a little intimidating, it went OK. I read the tutorial on the Skinner sight and watched a youtube video before diving in.

My first impression is very positive. They look great on the gun. I have to say I really like the sight picture and it feels very natural. It is quick on target and looks like it will be capable of a lot more precise shooting than the stock sights.

I hope to shoot some this weekend and will post a range report when I get one.

I think I made the right choice.
Finally got out to shoot the GG with the new sights today. It is shooting about a foot low at 25 yards. My thought was to adjust the rear sight to about the middle of the height range and start filing the front sight off.

Is that what you guys recommend? If so, how much to remove between shots.

I tried raising the rear sight a couple of turns and it really didn't move a lot. How much should one turn move POI at 25 yards? I am afraid I won't have much adjustment if I decide to change loads once I'm sighted for this one.
Everything sounds pretty good Coalsmoke! On your GG it sounds like the factory height front was about right (something we experience quite often) Mine front came in .375" and the factory sight is about .300". You have lots to work with since we ship that sight .500" tall and you can trim it down easily. You will move impact about 1" for each .020" you trim off the front.

The rear sight actually has 16" of adjustment (at 100 yards) so even though it doesnt look like its moving much, it really is enough. Each half turn will move your point of impact about 2.5" at 100 yards.

I recommend sighting in with the aperture stem turned UP 1 turn from the bottom. That will give you 4" lower and 12" higher if its needed.

Remember, we can always change a front sight down the road if needed.

Let me know if I can be of more help!

ANDY
Anything special I need to know about trimming the front sight? How much filing between shots, reprofiling, rebluing, etc. I'm a little nervous and don't want to overdo it.
When I set mine up I used a dremel with sanding wheel bit for alot of the work with a fine file to do the finish work. If you have a tipton gun cleaning vice or similar it works great on the tailgate of the pickup for the work at the range. I made marks on the side of the sight with a pencil in about 1/16 of an inch increments, filed to one and shot again. My stbl required about 18" of adjustment so don't worry, you will get there. I'm sure Andy will have some advice on this too.
Filing is pretty easy. The sights are made of good steel and will accept cold blue (available from www.skinnersights.com on the special items page) readily.

The idea of pencil marks works well! Thanks for that MRCar!

I just use a file, no dremel actually. Smooth even strokes with a 6" or 8" smooth cut file works great. Gently round the front off to look appropriate when you are done. File down the length of the sight, not crosswise...

Do one and you will feel like a Pro! :)
Thanks for the advice. I think I'm ready. Hopefully my next post will be a range report.
I finally had time to sight my Skinner sights on my guide gun. It came down to file....shoot....file....shoot....file....well you get the idea. It took a while, but I was being pretty conservative, figuring metal comes off a lot easier than it goes back on. My front sight is probably less than half the height it was. I was also able to keep the profile looking good. I would recommend taking a picture before you start (I didn't).

I got it sighted about dead on at 25 yards, so I will probably end up taking off a little more to have it on at 100. I did have time to ring my gong at 150 yards a few times.

I think I am going to like these sights a lot once I get used to them.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.