Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I mentioned the other day I'm looking into getting an 1895, the plan is a 45/70 but I was wondering if I should go the guide gun route or the standard full length 22". Will the extra four inches make a big difference in velocity/range to be worth it?

·
Registered
561 Posts
I would try to handle both of them and see which one feels right to you. At 45/70 ranges the velocity difference wont make much difference.

·
Registered
203 Posts
So I mentioned the other day I'm looking into getting an 1895, the plan is a 45/70 but I was wondering if I should go the guide gun route or the standard full length 22". Will the extra four inches make a big difference in velocity/range to be worth it?
I think it is all a matter of which one feels and looks better to you and sure you will loose a tiny bit of velocity ( shorter barrel versus longer barrel) but any differences in velocity can be made up in handloading.Don't forget that the 45-70 doesn't need a whole lot of velocity to put meat on the table.The slow moving freight train bullet will do that for you. I have a Marlin 1895 GG and my friends have the longer barrel job with pistol grip.It is a tough choice for me and I am just back and forth on the straight grip vs. the pistol grip and never even took the longer barrel into consideration.I like a short club.You really need to handle them both,if you can find them together.Finding them is the problem.

Reactions: Magnum6

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmmm... so gunner you're saying you'd never consider a guide gun ever??????????????????
Haha, well I've never handled the guide gun, but comparing carrying my cousin's rem 770 and my 30AS it was like night and day, I preferred the shorter length. So I guess that's where I'm leaning now!

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
If your choice is open sights, you gain a bit of sight radius with a long barreled CB ... but at realistic ranges you'll never know the difference.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would think the correct answer would be one of each, learned that here on MO.
Haha well I wish I could.. I finally broached the subject with my wife concerning a gun fund.. and gently mentioned she spends decent amount on haircuts and such.. so I get an equivalent amount for guns, thankfully, and sadly she doesnt spend enough on those things to afford me 2 marlins a year. But permission for one is a win for me!

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts

Guide Gun!!!.. The Shorter the Better,Ported is Best!... But I'm with Gunner, kinda partial... :flute: :biggrin:

OR

Cowboy

Good Luck... :tee:
BloodGroove4570

·
Registered
568 Posts
I have both the 22" and GG and it would be hard to choose between the two. The extra sight radius of the full size is nice, but if you put a receiver sight on the GG it would offset that. The pistol grip on the full size feels better in my hand but the classic looks of the straight stocked GG is hard to beat.

·
Registered
266 Posts
The difference between 18" and 24" is about 150 fps. With those grenades, you can afford to shed a little velocity for better handling in the field. I have barrels as long as 26", which make me feel like a pole vaulter. 18" seems a little short, but loading a full length magazine brings the weight up to over 8 pounds.

·
Registered
10,612 Posts
A GG first then a CB, in that order. So if its only one then GG it would be.

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Advocate for the 22 inch. Spend more time with a 26 inch barreled buckshot gun driving deer or chasing birds in thick stuff, so a 20 or 22 inch Marlin feels very short, balanced and handy. Never warmed up to less than 20 inches.

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
I went with the 22 for two reasons, you dont have to build the rounds hot to get the optimum FPS, and My focal point is 22-24 inches, so the sight picture is right where I need it.
The full assault mag tube dont hurt either

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
It's the ole Guide Gun Fer me and my little ole frame . I Prefer The Straight Stock . It's hard to beat the look of Stainless Steel and Pretty Walnut :biggrin: Make me Happy Happy Happy . One day I'll change that Glenfield you see there to a Straight Stock Too . DSC04052.JPG With some a that Pretty Walnut furniture ":tee:

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Personally, I prefer the longer barreled rifles.

Reactions: Survivor99

·
Registered
350 Posts
It's not about performance with barrel length, more about look, feel, balance and sight radius. I like the look of the short barrels but the 22" has them beat in all other aspects. Chuck a full length tube on them and :love:

I have both the 22" and GG and it would be hard to choose between the two. The extra sight radius of the full size is nice, but if you put a receiver sight on the GG it would offset that. The pistol grip on the full size feels better in my hand but the classic looks of the straight stocked GG is hard to beat.
but receiver sight on the 22" is even better ;)

I straight stocked my 22", best of both worlds...

1 - 20 of 61 Posts