Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 5:30 this afternoon, Mama and I hopped into the Jeep, grabbed sandwiches and sodas and headed up into the hills above town.

Four hours later, we made it back home.

The setting sun, on the cliff face was incredible. No camera.
The fish, surfacing and jumping while we ate dinner at the little lake were great. No camera.
The Osprey, flying low over the lake, screeching, was impressive. No camera.
Both mule deer bucks, the 2x3 and the 2x2 were holding within 25 yards of the Jeep, continuing to feed, unconcerned. No camera.
The TEN elk in three different groups were awesome. About a 50/50 mix of bulls and cows. Deep green grass, tall pines, and elk moving slowly among them, often within 20 yards of our Jeep. No camera.

Sigh... It was on the desk, and I walked past it on the way out to the Jeep... Doggone it!

Nice evening though.

Guy

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
Next time Guy.:)

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Let that be a lesson to ya! Doesn't it always happen that way? That is one of the main reasons I sold my full frame DSLR and kept a Sony NEX 7--much smaller and easier to "remember" to take along. That does sound like one fantastic evening to be thankful for. Just the description (minus the "no camera" part) provides a beautiful and peaceful canvas.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Guy, the rationale I use is, some moments are meant to be private. Some while enjoyable are just meant to be yours. Steve

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Sometimes it's better to just relax and enjoy the scenery than it is to try to get pictures of it

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
:dito: I can't say anything better.....

Sounds like a Great time was had.

Heck I can See It Anyhow! :tee: Sometimes the imagination paints the most clear pics!

Thanks for the pics Guy!
BloodGroove4570

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Worst yet is what happened to a hunting buddy of mine . He was getting into photography. He had bought a nice camera and was getting use to it. He was an avid duck hunter and often hunted alone. One day in a duckblind he had a bunch of ringnecks come in. He put several down on the water and was fixing to go retrieve them. One was trying to scalkoff on him. Just as he turned to open the door to the blind and get in the boat he saw a low flying bird. He thought it was a large seagull after his cripple duck. It turned out to be a Bald Eagle. He grabbed his camera and started shooting pictures as the Eagle made several attempt to catch the duck. He said after about the third pass the Eagle captured the duck. The Eagle had gotten so wet that when He got hold of the duck he couldn't fly. The Eagle used his wings to paddle to a little marsh Island where he finished the duck and finally got airborne and made off with his treat. Latter he discovered that in his excitement he had forgotten to remove the lenses cover. No pictures but he like me still have that image in our minds today. I saw one the same year get one of my Buffleheads. Bald Eagles where never seen in our county before 1980. A pair took up here and now we have over 20 or more that show up every winter. I believe there may be a few that stay here all year round. Once we watched an Eagle parlay with an Osprey for over 10 minutes. They appeared to be fighting over a nest.

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
Guy, the rationale I use is, some moments are meant to be private. Some while enjoyable are just meant to be yours. Steve
As much as we all appreciate all of your photos that you share, sometimes you and Ma just got to be a couple - - sounds like yesterday evening was one of those times. Sounds like you two made more special memories - - just for the two of you. :tee:

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
About 5:30 this afternoon, Mama and I hopped into the Jeep, grabbed sandwiches and sodas and headed up into the hills above town.

Four hours later, we made it back home.

The setting sun, on the cliff face was incredible. No camera.
The fish, surfacing and jumping while we ate dinner at the little lake were great. No camera.
The Osprey, flying low over the lake, screeching, was impressive. No camera.
Both mule deer bucks, the 2x3 and the 2x2 were holding within 25 yards of the Jeep, continuing to feed, unconcerned. No camera.
The TEN elk in three different groups were awesome. About a 50/50 mix of bulls and cows. Deep green grass, tall pines, and elk moving slowly among them, often within 20 yards of our Jeep. No camera.

Sigh... It was on the desk, and I walked past it on the way out to the Jeep... Doggone it!

Nice evening though.

Guy
You know the rules ... no pictures, didn't happen. :shot:

j/k Guy.

But you need a smart phone, then you'll always have a camera with you.

·
Super Moderator
12,038 Posts
Let that be a lesson to ya! Doesn't it always happen that way? That is one of the main reasons I sold my full frame DSLR and kept a Sony NEX 7--much smaller and easier to "remember" to take along. That does sound like one fantastic evening to be thankful for. Just the description (minus the "no camera" part) provides a beautiful and peaceful canvas.
I been wanting one of those NEX 7's - looks perfect for a easy grab heading out on the bike.

·
Premium Member
12,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm headed back out this evening, WITH the camera. Hope to find those elk again...

I think Mama is joining me. If I pack a nice picnic dinner, she likely will!

Had the smart-phone camera with us last night, but it just couldn't do justice to the elk in the waning light. The bigger camera will do the trick, if I can get that close again. Much warmer today though... Hope we can get on those elk critters again tonight!

Guy

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
And if you had your camera with you, you wouldn't have seen anything at all.

That's the way it works when I go out...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts