Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I used to live in Port Elizabeth (South Africa) and knew a man called Gerry Shultz who owned a gunshop just down the road from me. I used to constantly pester him - just going in and looking at everything he had in the shop as a youngster ... I bought my first rifle and handgun from him and a few more over the years and he was a fantastic person who always had time for a curious young mind...

Fast forward 20 years and he now produces a premium grade bullets known as GS Custom Bullets.

Anyway, i have tried a few of his monolithic hollowpoint bullets on Game in various calibers over the years and found them to be really good.... I went back to Port Elizabeth last year for my Fathers Funeral and dropped in to See Gerry and he showed me around his set-up which is now run by his 2 Daughters and has gone International ... We got to talking and he asked what rifles i still shoot and when i mentioned 45 70 his eyes lit up and he went to his "office" and came back with a bullet which he placed in my hand.... It is a 400 gr monolithic hollowpoint that looks like a nuclear submarine !! Its HUGE !! Anyway he assured me that there was nothing that walked,crawled,flew or slithered on this earth that couldn't be dealt with using that bullet! And I believe him!

I will try to find it and take a photo to show you all.... i have never loaded it into a case as i like to look at it and remember that kind, and knowledgeable man!

If you ever stumble across some of these monsters - be sure to try a few!

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Great thread. A picture would be awesome!

Great story!

Reactions: rlm1

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will find the bullet and take a photo of it and post it shortly!

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Sounds good. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
leverlad,

THANKS for the post!

Knowing first hand just how good the Wide Flat Nose cast bullet profile is, it would be really interesting to see/read some tests on the monolithic Hollow Point.

I'm shooting a 465gr WFN at 1650fps and find the results to be awesome on deer and elk, but wonder at the possible over expansion that might be present with your friend's bullet.

As said, would be interesting to read some "on the ground" experiences with that Hollow Point.

The WFN or Long Flat Nose (LFN) profiles were pretty much designed to give the needed tissue disruption RELYABLY where H.P. designs are a sometimes thing depending on alloy, velocity at impact and of course range.

I would consider the solid bullet I use to be equal to anything that walks North America and would be interested in reading any other info your friend might have passed on to you about the results with the H.P. he casts.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
OK, thanks for the interesting link.

Checking it out I find that I have made an incorrect assumption, Again - hate it when that happens!! - thinking that Leverlad was talking about a "cast" bullet as in cast from a lead alloy, which lead me to look and look on the link for anything that looked like or spoke of a cast lead alloy bullet.

I didn't as the rest of you smarter folk have already figured out.

Posting in the Marlin Owners Forum under the 45/70, I didn't even think of a bullet other then "cast".

Sometimes I'm just so dumb! Ol'Coot anyway. :hmmmm:

Yes, impressive information and results and yes a notch above the capabilities of a cast projectile.

However, I'd still like to make the trip and sorry that it won't happen, and yep for the critters I'd like to hang on the wall, my plain old "cast" bullets would get er done.

Anyway, thanks for the link as it cleared out a bit of head fog.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will take a photo tonight and try to post it tomorrow .... I gotta tel you that if the other calibers i have tried are anything to go by - they are bound to be a cut above and useful on heavy game!

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here is the photo i promised. I put the GS Bullet next to a .22LR and a .270 GS bullet and a 350Gr .458 Hornady FTX for scale... Shootinghunting 2013 014.jpg Shootinghunting 2013 013.jpg

·
Banned
16,333 Posts
Whew! That's a whopper sized bullet.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yep, it sure looks impressive ! Apparently it has driving bands that engage the rifling and the actual body of the bullet doesn't , which makes for less friction and higher speed thus allowing flatter trajectory....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts