Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it has become a gadget kind of world. we need gadgets for everything we do. hunters and fishermen have to be the biggest suckers there are for gadgets! you have a bunch of them! i have a "few" myself. when it comes to turkey calls , i am a pure fool for new ones. if it sounds remotely differant than any i already have, i AM going to buy it!

years back, when ole noel feather came up with that rattlin horns and grunt call combo, of course, i had to try it. i didn't have a lot of trouble getting deer without a grunt call, but i had to try it.

it was the rattlin horns i left home first. for all the times i tried them, i never saw them work. they were a pain to carry as well. the grunt call was just as successful. the only thing about it was that it fit in my pocket and weighed nothing. it got a longer trial!

i tried that thing on lots of occasions. really, i only tried it when the buck was going to go by me without a hope of a shot. there was no use trying it with the buck coming towards me. when i did use it, at most, i got a look over the shoulder and a wild glare. the deer invariably, kept on his merry way.

one morning in shwanee, i had set a stand all morning to see no deer. i heard them a few times on a ridge behind me. around 11am , i decided to haul my climber up there and check it out. when i got up there, i found a bunch of fresh scrapes all over the top of that ridge.

i found a good spot just off the top of the ridge and hooked up the stand. looking around , i found i needed to trim a couple of lanes to shoot through. this i did with my sierra saw. there was the assorted brush and grapevines. i cut as little as possible.

when i had my lanes trimmed, it was close to noon. i figured to hunt there that evening and the following morning. i decided to climb the tree and check out the lanes and hang my pack up there so i would not have to carry it around. i also decided to clip my bow to the line before i went up and sit a few minutes.

i got up the tree and had a look around. it looked pretty good too. i could imagine just how the buck would come down the ridge checking those scrapes and would walk right under me. what a cinch it would be! it was a good plan .

i heard a noise coming from down the ridge. quickly i brought the bow up the tree and nocked an arrow. in just a minute or two, here comes this little 5 pointer buck. as i needed sausage meat and had 2 tags, he was perfectly acceptable.

he walked right to me , INTO THE LANE AND STOPPED! what kind of luck is that. i drew the arrow, took perfect aim and loosed. i stuck a grapevine that was hanging down right over his chest. the arrow swung a perfect arc and slapped him. of course, the deer and i were both amazed!

he ran off on down the ridge. i had sawed that vine off as high as i could reach and i had struck the thing about 1 inch from the cut! i had not seen the thing when i turned the arrow loose.

when i looked in the direction the deer ran, i noticed that it had stopped about 100 yards down the ridge. that had never happened before. he was staring back, trying to figure out what had happened.

i figured it was all over...then i remembered i had that grunt call. what could it hurt to try it now. that deer was never coming back there.

i pulled the call out and gave him a grunt or two. he turned....and started back in my direction! this had never happened before.

he got to withing 25 yards and stopped. he was staring at that arrow sticking in that vine.

i had another arrow nocked and was not inclined to save any if it came to that. i drew and shot again! this time, i hit him good! he turned and run back down the ridge. after about 2 minutes i saw him pitch over one of those steep ridges. he would slide a little ways, kick his back feet and shot straight out into thin air about 30 feet! then he hit the ground again! he did this all the way to the bottom. it was my good luck that he went off the ridge on the side that the truck was parked on.

i carried that grunt call every year until i quit deer hunting. i never called another deer with it. it was however, a gadget with 1 success to its credit. that makes it an unusual gadget indeed!

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
when it comes to gagets you just might have the market cornered on Turkey calls.. LOL..

And I have hit a few trees before with arrows.. amazed me too.. :D

·
Registered
356 Posts
:D

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
btt

1 - 4 of 4 Posts