Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,
I picked up a 1999 Lund WC-14 (I believe that is the correct designation) trailer, and 10hp Mercury outboard for an exceptionally good price. This boat will be kept at my vacation home in SC., so it will have limited use.
Now, the exterior of the hull, below the water line is coated in what appears to be cement dust that has adhered in varying levels of thickness. I have used a wire brush to remove the majority of the grunge, but it will not come completely clean.
I would like to get it cleaned off completely, so that I may paint the hull. Does anyone have any ideas or has anyone seen something like this before, on heir boat?
I will try to post photos of the hull tomorrow. If the weather cooperates.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
1,955 Posts
I sure wouldn't use a wire brush on aluminum. Too late now, but maroon Scotch-Brite would have been a gentler choice.

·
Premium Member
4,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I sure wouldn't use a wire brush on aluminum. Too late now, but maroon Scotch-Brite would have been a gentler choice.
The brush is a softer metal than the aluminum hull. It hasn't even scratched the areas where there was bare aluminum.
Andrew

·
Registered
29,614 Posts
Media blast will take all off boat and not harm hull. Fella around here charges $150 to show up at your house and blast hull clean.

ca'jun56

·
Premium Member
1,955 Posts
The brush is a softer metal than the aluminum hull. It hasn't even scratched the areas where there was bare aluminum.
Andrew
Well, I assumed since you didn't specify the metal in the wire brush you used a common steel brush. Good to hear that the hull wasn't scarred.

Reactions: alawrence

·
Premium Member
4,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I took is little boat out on a local lake to test out the 1988 Mercury 9.9 outboard. The engine started right up and had good water output after I had changed out the impeller for a new one.
After a lap around the 400 acre lake, I idled down and the engine quit after about a minute at idle speed. The little trolling motor took me back to the launch, as I could not restart the engine.
I think I will be working on the fuel system next. I knew I would have a few issues with it, it's 30 years old after all.
On a side note, after owning my big Lund, I forgot how lightweight these small aluminum deep Vs are. They sure get moved around in a stiff wind.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
2,237 Posts
Pics would really help of course, but being on the bottom exterior waterline down, there's a good possibility that it is Anti fouling, or bottom paint.. a good chemical stripper will take it right off.
If some bottom paints sit out in the air, and not submerged, they turn to a chalky consistency. and a few heavy coats add up fast and look pretty thick and heavy.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Merry Christmas and I hope you got it sorted out.

Sounds to me like the hard trash may have been the leavings from "barnacles" - aka leaving it in salt water...

If it was my engine - 99% of the time it's a carb or "fuel" problem... Probably sucked up trash or water out of the fuel tank. It generally takes me several tries to clean out the whole fuel system including the pump.

·
Premium Member
4,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Merry Christmas and I hope you got it sorted out.

Sounds to me like the hard trash may have been the leavings from "barnacles" - aka leaving it in salt water...

If it was my engine - 99% of the time it's a carb or "fuel" problem... Probably sucked up trash or water out of the fuel tank. It generally takes me several tries to clean out the whole fuel system including the pump.
Hi,
As far as I know, this boat was never in salt water. I'm thinking it was laid on its hull on wet, swampy land for years. The grunge looked and acted like oxidized aluminum.
As for the engine, I completely rebuilt the carb and fuel pump, installed a new fuel filter and fuel lines. It starts on one or two pulls, and idles nicely. The one issue I am trying to track down, is that once the engine gets hot, I loose fuel pressure. The fuel filter bowel will not fill fill and when I pump the fuel tank bulb, I hear a hissing sound from somewhere in the engine. The weather is rather uncooperative at this time of year to trouble shoot. So, it will have to wait till spring.
Thanks for the ideas though.
Worst comes to worse, I will sell off some rifles this spring and get a new Evinrude E-Tec 25 horse.
Andrew

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Worst comes to worse, I will sell off some rifles this spring and get a new Evinrude E-Tec 25 horse.
Andrew
I put a 300 E-Tec on my boat this past summer...love it!

·
Registered
7,869 Posts
Pics would really help of course, but being on the bottom exterior waterline down, there's a good possibility that it is Anti fouling, or bottom paint.. a good chemical stripper will take it right off.
If some bottom paints sit out in the air, and not submerged, they turn to a chalky consistency. and a few heavy coats add up fast and look pretty thick and heavy.
If it's anti fouling paint, is there any chance it was used in salt water? Salt water is bad news on aluminum boats.

·
Premium Member
1,816 Posts
Could it be calcium or lime build up from sitting in the water for an extended period at some point in the past? If so household CLR works well.

·
Registered
13,509 Posts
Never, never sell guns to buy boats. It’s ok to sell boats to buy guns. I don’t know where that is written, I think in Book of Dan or Wall Street Journal.

·
Premium Member
4,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Never, never sell guns to buy boats. It’s ok to sell boats to buy guns. I don’t know where that is written, I think in Book of Dan or Wall Street Journal.
I already have the boat, I just need a reliable engine. As for selling the rifles, I have had many of these rifles sitting in gun cabinets for years, seldom shooting them. I need to start downsizing in anticipation of moving to SC and I have more rifles than I can feed.
Andrew

·
Registered
10,909 Posts
I was going to say lake snot, algae from setting the lake to long. Then drying on the boat.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
If you need to go new - go for one of the miscellaneous flavors of Tohatsu made factory branded 15hp motors like Mercury, Evinrude, or Tohatsu...

Since you mentioned South Carolina.... Yamaha would be my #1 choice followed by a Tohatsu made Mercury. I would say Yamaha's 3:1 outnumber everything else in the new motor realm around here. The Merc second because it's the fastest of factory Tohatsu's for the given hp output and there are a lot of dealers. Used is probably pre-BRP Evinrude/Johnson 2-strokes followed by Yamaha 2 strokes. You hardly see a new Evinrude around here - and I know the local Evinrude dealer.

The new E-tech's are HEAVY for a 14' boat....

On your Merc... If it consistently will crank cold and run till it's good and hot - it could be an ignition component overheating and shorting out - coil, module, etc... Any way you can get it good and hot then test for spark - that would tell you... But it still sounds like trash in the fuel system somewhere....

·
Premium Member
4,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have taken a few hours during the last several days and have been working on this boat's hull. I spent to hours and many sheets of sand paper, removing the buildup of whatever it is on the hull. Some one mentioned possible lime buildup, maybe it was. The dust that the sander produced was similar to concrete dust.
After the sanding, I scrubbed the hull with dish soap and scrubbing pads and rinsed thoroughly.
The hull looked much better, but of course the sanding left some bare aluminum spots, especially the tops of the rivets. I sprayed the bare areas with a self etching primer. Tomorrow, I will paint the hull with grey Rustoleum Professional Enamal. I am still debating what color to use on the boat's sides.
My goal isn't to make this boat look brand new, like what I have seen on some YouTube videos, but to make it not so ugly.
IMG_0039.JPG IMG_0037.JPG IMG_0038.JPG IMG_0039.JPG IMG_0040.JPG
Andrew

Reactions: Padraig

·
Registered
797 Posts
The price of new outboards are ridiculous anymore. I'd either find the issues with the engine you have and fix them, or trade it for a nice used engine. We have a 1986 15hp Johnson that's a great motor. We used to take it when going to stay at a resort they had a boat for you to use also. It'll push a 14' boat 28-30mph according to my GPS. It hasn't been on a boat in several years (we have a Lund 1775 Pro V now) but there is no way I'd part with it either. The older outboards that are taken care of will still be running when we're gone

·
Premium Member
4,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The price of new outboards are ridiculous anymore. I'd either find the issues with the engine you have and fix them, or trade it for a nice used engine. We have a 1986 15hp Johnson that's a great motor. We used to take it when going to stay at a resort they had a boat for you to use also. It'll push a 14' boat 28-30mph according to my GPS. It hasn't been on a boat in several years (we have a Lund 1775 Pro V now) but there is no way I'd part with it either. The older outboards that are taken care of will still be running when we're gone
The 9.9 Merc's issue was that when I rebuilt the carb, I included one to many gaskets on the fuel pump. I corrected that mistake and it ran great. I just sold it for $350 to a guy who wanted a good running older outboard. He. Has been happy with it.
I purchased 20hp 2004 Honda 4 stroke from a guy I have known for 15 years. It has had maybe 20 hours of use in that time and was stored for the last 5 years. I gave it an oil change, replaced the impeller and put in new plugs. It starts easily, runs smooth and is much quieter than the old Mercury. What's nice is that I got it for a swan song.
The mercury 9.9 pushed this boat to 17mph on the gps. The Honda is pushing it to 28.
Andrew

1 - 20 of 33 Posts