Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok took my 17Vs to the range today with the newly modified trigger. I was shooting at varying ranges from 50-100 yards. I understand why one would get different POI with different brands of ammo, CCI vs Hornady. But today has me stumped....

When shooting at 50-75 yards I got better groups out of the Hornady. When I moved it back to 100 yards I got drastically better groups with the CCI loads. The Hornady groups seemed to really open up at 100 yards. The POI changed with the CCI but the groups, all 5 shots groups BTW, could be covered with a dime. With the Hornadys I was lucky to cover it with a quarter.

What gives?

·
Registered
98 Posts
See what the gun will do at close range first, say 25 yards if there is a difference there, the gun may just like one particular kind of bullet. Otherwise sounds like you had a wind problem at the longer range, which it usally is.

·
Premium Member
3,049 Posts
Is it possible that the Hornady doesn't stablize as good. That would be more aparent at longer ranges. Or may be it doesn't buck the wind as good. :? :?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good answers guys except for one thing. Wind was not a factor. I was shooting indoors......

One more thing, I ran a similar test last year and saw exactly the opposite results.....

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
WOW! You have a 100 yd indoor range? That's a really nice asset ot have access to!
My CZ 452 in .17 got great groups with CCI ammo at both 50 and 100 yds. The thing that puzzled me was the groups didn't get larger at 100 yds, nor did they drop. The POI was the same at both distances. I was expecting a slight drop, but it never happened.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes it's a 100 yard indoor range. They also have a 25-yard indoor pistol range. It's a great place to go shoot. The ranges fees are pretty reasonable, I think it $7 an hour for the rifle range. But as deer season approaches you need to call ahead and make reservations....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts