Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one have any experience with it?
Can you unload the mag tube through the loading gate?
It's pretty intriguing to me and think it would be pretty nice too unload the mag tube through the loading gate. I've looked everywhere and can't find a any pictures, videos or anyone with first hand experience with this modification.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts

Im sure this lever gun has had work done to it but it does eject through the loading gate pretty easy.

Doc

·
Registered
255 Posts
45Finn posted that on YouTube. Who/what is 45Finn? No other gun related videos posted by him.
That looks really cool. Don't know if I would want to have that mod on my hunting or field gun. A big yes for a range rifle though.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Xman, try removing the rounds like in the video with you stock gate. I have a stock gate and it isn't quite as easy, but it still works. My dad has an old 30-30 with buckhorn sights and that is how he taught me to unload. press the lip of the cartridge forward and the gate should easily move. I doesn't feel good on the fingers if they are cold.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Xman, try removing the rounds like in the video with you stock gate. I have a stock gate and it isn't quite as easy, but it still works. My dad has an old 30-30 with buckhorn sights and that is how he taught me to unload. press the lip of the cartridge forward and the gate should easily move. I doesn't feel good on the fingers if they are cold.
This^^. It's not easily done, but I can unload my '95 336CS through the factory gate.
Uncle Sid

·
Registered
673 Posts
Grizzly worked on my loading gate, a very worthwhile procedure. However, I did not do it with unloading through the loading gate in mind and have not tried it. I will load the gun and try it, but it may be a day or two before I can get there.

Reactions: XMAN

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
It requires a slight shortening of the ears on the gate. But, don't overdue. Also you can relax the tension by straightening it out some what. The loading gate is just a flat spring and all that it is required to do is close. Stoneing or sandpapering a slight radius on the inside edge of the loading port to take away it's sharp edge is also helpful. That can't be seen and is easily touched up with cold blue.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I do it with my 336 c in 35 not easy but doable.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
That might make me worry on a hunting gun.
That looked a bit too easy to remove the shells.
I don't think I would want that done on mine.
Smooth the loading gate a little bit and get rid of
the burrs is ok but to press and extract shells like that
would make me worry they'd all pop out if it got snagged.

·
Premium Member
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the replys guy's. I tried it on my SBL last night and it is definitely doable. Not quite like in the video but doable.
I will have to agree I don't think I'd attempt it well out hunting for fear of a jam.
I've already worked the loading gate on all my marlins with the instructions from the do it yourself gun smith section on here.

Reactions: Condition 1

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've done that to all my Marlins (1895,2x1894,336). First debur/polish every part of the gate and the opening in the receiver so there are no sharp edges - even a shigltly sharp corner can hang up on the soft brass. Then look at the loading gate - there is a section with the tapped hole, then a spring section, then the visible part of the gate. The amount of force it takes to push the gate open is determined by the thickness of that center section, and they seem to vary a fair amount. You only need enough to keep the gate closed. Just thin that center section until the tension is minimized enough that unloading through the port works. On one of mine that meant taking off a lot of material. I just use a file, being careful to not leave any sharp corners, then polish out any marks with wet-n-dry sandpaper.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts