Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone run theese grizzly 405 grain rnfp cowboy rounds through their lever guns? Just curious from the reviews I saw and the amount of dents in the brass. Also has anyone used on game?
Font Gas Motor vehicle Signage Wood

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
Those are pretty light loads. Definitely for paper cowboy events. MAYBE for deer as they are pretty light skinned and definitely not beyond 100yds . Good practice loads far you if you have nothing and don't reload.

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
They do say cowboy loads folks. That being said they will kill just fine. They animal won't even know it was hit after it falls over and dies. Just will take longer than most are used to

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
The Grizzly 45-70 I got, after 1yr on backorder, are 300gr bonded JHP @ an advertised 2400 FPS. I have quite a bit of ammo from Grizzly and i've been happy with what I've used thus far.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Don't own a 45 70 but those rounds seem to be a little anemic. Maybe instead of a Grizzly bear picture, they should have put a picture of pussycat. Definitely would not use those on a Grizzly bear hunt. I know those rounds are not hunting rounds. They are paper punching rounds. But if they're cheap, why not.
With all of the legal exposures related to selling retail ammo, trapdoor mid 1870's steel at black powder pressure loads do not shock me at all.

If you have modern steel, roll your own. Before the Biden spike in components hit, 5 boxes of factory 45-70 cost got you into the reloading world.

Good luck finding mechanicals and components now.

·
Registered
7,688 Posts
Fortunately, I stocked up on all my ammo when I was working and the prices were reasonable. That's ancient History.

There are regional websites that have firearms and ammunition for sale. Of course the people on the website I use keep complaining that the prices are too high. These days there are no bargains. :confused:

Mike T.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
With all of the legal exposures related to selling retail ammo, trapdoor mid 1870's steel at black powder pressure loads do not shock me at all.

If you have modern steel, roll your own. Before the Biden spike in components hit, 5 boxes of factory 45-70 cost got you into the reloading world.

Good luck finding mechanicals and components now.
I would love to get into reloading, but I afraid once I buy all the stuff, that commie in the White House will ban companies from selling powders and bullets

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I make loads similar to that with trailboss powder for a change of pace every now and then and to let inexperienced shooters try out a big bore. I have no doubt that those loads will put a 458 hole through any animal found around these parts and if the shot placement is good the results would be a dead animal.

Dents in the brass are just an indicate on how the brass was handled. It would be of no consequence.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Grizzly makes great bear/moose hunting loads! I use these these two hard cast rounds for hunting moose, since we have bear in the area also. They really are ideal for bear protection...
These are +P or max loads for the modern 45/70.
View attachment 886301
Very good to know, thank you

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
And hopefully you don't have any shoulder problems when you shoot these.

Reactions: Nanook

·
Registered
698 Posts
I guess they know their business, but I question the safety of launching a 405gr bullet at over 2,000 ft/sec in a Marlin lever-action. Repeated use of that load really has to be stressing parts.

I was shooting Swift 350gr A-Frames at 2,000 ft/sec and was warned about causing stress fractures over time with the load. I backed it down even though it was extraordinarily accurate at that velocity.

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
I wonder what type of powder exists that would get a 405 up to 2,050 fps? I am not familiar with anything that we can buy that would do it?
Hodgdon has long published a load with a 400 grain jacketed Speer and H4198 at 2,002 fps.

I've loaded that, shot it. Satisfied my curiosity. LOL! It was quite enough for me. :)

That's in their Lever Action rifle section too, meaning the Marlin 1895.

I suspect that same powder charge would boot a 405 to pretty much the same velocity.

Regards, Guy

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have 2 boxes of the 460gr Hardcast +p from Grizzly. Advertised velocity of 1850FPS. It is some seriously hot stuff. I don't have a chronograph, but my shoulder tells me it's trucking along pretty good. Definitely hotter that the HSM 430gr +p Bear loads. I've only shot 5 rounds of it so far. They say it is safe to use in modern lever guns, but I won't make a habit of it. I'm going to have to pull one and see what kind of powder charge they use just out if curiosity. I shot a 12" diameter freshly cut Oak trunk and it borrowed on through.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts