1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Lions, tigers, and bears... They are wild animals. Not house pets. That's why I carry a gun in the woods.

According to the article, the girl/victim was working as a wildlife researcher when the attack occurred. She said she recently landed her dream job to study grizzlies. (She seems like an animal lover, so I doubt she would consider carrying a firearm.) It's a good thing she had enough sense to carry bear spray otherwise she would probably be dead.

·
Registered
21,234 Posts
It's a shame that she almost died performing her "dream job"! Prayers for a full recovery and her gettin' back out there doin' what she loves most!

·
Registered
318 Posts
I worked with a bombs and bullets guy from Alaska, he said bear spray is more like bear attractant, they will sniff you out if you carry it. He said more incidents happen because of bear spray than it prevents.
Lions, tigers and bears.... They are wild animals. Not house pets. That's why I carry a gun in the woods.

According to the article the girl/ victim was working as a wildlife researcher when the attack occurred. She said she recently landed her dream job to study grizzly's. (she seems like a animal lover, so I doubt she would consider carrying a firearm.) It's good thing she had enough sense to carry bear spray otherwise she would probably be dead.
Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,566 Posts
A lot of these young research people are what you would call "full of themselves", I call them full of something else. You would think an educated person would realize the danger of working in the wilderness with wild animals. They don't teach common sense in those colleges. I hope she recovers and finds a more suitable line of work, like a tour guide at a zoo.

·
Banned
16,333 Posts
A lot of these young research people are what you would call "full of themselves", I call them full of something else. You would think an educated person would realize the danger of working in the wilderness with wild animals. They don't teach common sense in those colleges. I hope she recovers and finds a more suitable line of work, like a tour guide at a zoo.
One would think that anyone going into the wilderness where bears, coyotes, wolves etc are known to be, that she'd have taken a 45-70 or 450 Marlin with her. Or at least an AR-15.
The fact she did not take any firearm whatsoever means, she isn't the smartest person in the woods and that she must be eligible to work for the DNC.

However I do hope she fully recovers. She is very lucky to be alive.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I thought that the USFS employees worked in pairs in bear country with one worker carrying a hi powered rifle(30.06)? Glad she is OK.
I was going to suggest working in pairs before I read the above post. I hope the USFS learns from this and makes it mandatory, with a least 1 armed. May I wish her a full recovery.GH

·
Registered
318 Posts
She was working for Fish and Wildlife Service not the Forest Service. Not sure about the Lower 48 but in Alaska when working in Brown Bear country you are required to pack a rifle or shotgun. Minimum is the 06. Government supplies either a 12 gauge wit Brenekie (sp?) slugs or a 375 H&H. You have to go through and pass training or work with someone else that has passed the training. Jim

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Coming in late on this. We have several bear attacks each year here in Montana. It's proven bear spray works most of the time. You have to have time to use it though, & if you are occupied working & are surprised it's difficult to defend yourself. From the article I don't think the young lady was doing anything wrong. Working in teams with one on lookout seems reasonable, but with the money restrictions that may not be possible.
Praying for a full recovery.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
I worked with a bombs and bullets guy from Alaska, he said bear spray is more like bear attractant, they will sniff you out if you carry it. He said more incidents happen because of bear spray than it prevents.
I don't know what a bombs and bullet guy is but that is the biggest crock of BS I've heard yet. Bottom line of the story is she was able to deploy the bear spray and stop the attack. Sounds like from the story as it stated she hit herself with the spray, she most likely had to shoot the stuff over the top of her head to hit the bear in the face. Doubtful she would have been able to use a rifle or shotgun once the bear had her head in it's mouth.

·
Banned
2,803 Posts

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
OK, I’ll bite ...
What’s a bombs and bullets guy?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.