Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member here from Finland.

Just got my Marlin Trapper, after a long que. Thanks to Ruger I got one, finally.

Shot first 10 rounds today and loved it! Umph was fairly similar to my Sako .375H&H, bit sharper though.

My old 1100 Rem Mag fitted with rifle barrel is even more sluggish when shooting heavy slugs. Accuracy is terrible. Marlin in other hand, I have to practice more, a lot more, to hit into 3 inch dot at 100 meters/300 ft. 325 gr bullet as pictured had a major drop, reticle had to be at the top of the barrel sight to hit to the target. Others went down to pile of snow.

Best regards,
Pete

Attachments

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank You all of welcoming posts!

Fact is, that places you're posting from, are something awesome locations in this living world.

My personal experiences are limited to already quoted Flo, plus North and South Cal 1997 while my studies in that state. Didn't have opportunity to hunt, though. Mind was filled with my own studies, developing 4 condos located in Truckee, up in 3000+ ft. The nature in there (Lake Tahoe and Donner Pass) is something I miss a lot. Would that be great to have an opportunity to haul my Marlin into those Sierras and try to have some from it! Respecting the nature w/humbleness.

Sure we do have here in periferic Scandinavia some tremendous hunting wildernesses too, but. There is always a "but". You get my point, I hope.

Got today a box of 300 grains, electro coated training slugs. Hollow point, see pic attached. Can't wait to press them into some Hornardy's I've order too. Vihtavuori N130 goes into the brass soon. Right one is for comparison, slug for my 1911 Colt MKIV .45 that I bought 1992! Been thinking of loading those 230 grainers just to test them.. no good, I suppose. I just have them like 400 pcs...

All the best folks,
and thank You once again!

Glad to be here,
Pete

Attachments

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Howdy and welcome to the forum from the Panhandle of Texas, glad to have you. I also got a trapper and was using 405 gr soft point, kept jumping out of my hand but had a decent group. Came home and loaded some 300 gr JHP and will give them a try. Great little rifle....
Hi Chigger!
I've read similar posts of those 400gr loads. I will try these 300's for now as a getting familiar : ) with her. Got a buch of those lead slugs for less than 60 bucks, will be having fun with them. Hunting bullets, those will be solid copper 340's. Had those mailed to me already, too. This means sour right arm with my Lyman press 🙃

Have a great week!

/Pete

1 - 20 of 34 Posts