Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings Marlinites! I am a newb to lever guns as well as this forum. I recently became interested in a .30-30 and quickly discovered the Marlin 336. I have been dismayed of the news of the various quality control issues currently plaguing the recent production of rifles.

With that in mind, I would like to ask if there are any gunsmiths/retail operations that will sell only properly speced and inspected Marlin 336 rifle that you are aware of?

I would also be interested in having the trigger and action tuned a bit, so it would be worthwhile to purchase the rifle from a source that can not only insure the rifle is "right" off the start as well as do some personalized tweaks.

Thanks for your thoughts and I look forward to learn more as I spend more time visiting this forum.

Kind regards,
Ron

·
Registered
227 Posts
Welcome to the site. You might want to look for an older model 336. I recently bought a 1950 336RC and after shooting it could not believe the accuracy at 225 yards. Good luck on your search

·
Premium Member
9,467 Posts
Welcome to MOs from NE Florida.

While the wife and I have had some good luck with the three Ilion made Marlins we have bought, the general consensus around here is that quality is a hit or miss affair with the current run of Marlins. I share the advice of others here that your best bet for getting high quality in a Marlin is to buy a used one. A Marlin made in the sixties or seventies might be your best bet, but there were some very good ones built in the eighties and nineties as well. Given my choice, I would opt for a pre-safety model produced prior to 1983.

One day, it is to be hoped that Remington will get their act together and start building them with the quality we came to expect, and I hope it's sooner rather than later.

·
Premium Member
4,446 Posts
Welcome to MO FLRON - you did not say what part of the country you are from? We might guess Fla because of your "NAME" but as to your question about gunsmiths or gunshops there are many around that carry Marlins. The problem is finding a good and honest shop. There are a dozen gun shops in the Raleigh area and I have good faith in 5 of them that I have done business with. Go to local shops, look the guns over and ask questions. If you see something obvious ask a specific question and see it they give you a straight answer or not. A few folks like BRIANFL have had good luck with new Remington made Marlins (Remlins) but a great deal of folks have not. There are a ton of good OLD Marlins out there and they can still be had for a good prices. If you see something you like take pictures and post it here in the forum. There are a bunch of us MO's who will likely give you an opinion!

GB45

·
Super Moderator
15,864 Posts
Welcome from Olympia, WA; in the great Pacific Northwest -
THE "ORIGINAL (North Haven, CT Rifles) MARLIN®" COUNTRY!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Greetings from Oregon!
I've owned about a dozen 336's over the years, I've found that the older the 336, the smoother the action. I'm the owner of a '49 336sc in 30-30 and the action is like butter. At the very least, get a "pre-safety" 336. Look around, there are a fair number of used 336's around the country. Different regions have different prices. Find one in the best condition you can afford.

·
Registered
20,287 Posts
Hello and welcome From South Florida!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Welcome in the MO Forum from Germany!

Great folks, profound knowledge and good humour are here to be found.

Hey come over to Germany! ;D

ATM there a lot of good old used 336 (production from 1970 to 1990) in 30/30 on the marked for 300 Euro, most of them are already reworked and outfitted. Good quality.

New ones are out for 500 to 600 Euro with Scopes and slings and stuff like that.

If I had a use for this calibre, I would have already bought one.

Doing an complete action and trigger job is IMHO a necessary thing to get them work real fine and smooth, if you got this you really can ENJOY!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I will keep reading and looking for a while. Afterall, that's half the fun.

Yes, I'm in Ft. Lauderdale, FL.

Nice to see these rifles are popular in Germany.

·
Registered
246 Posts
FLRon said:
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I will keep reading and looking for a while. Afterall, that's half the fun.

Yes, I'm in Ft. Lauderdale, FL.

Nice to see these rifles are popular in Germany.
Well the "real fanatic Traditional hunters" do not like them in their area, they are to "Cowboy" like they say!
But who cares about that, when the rifle is just great! ;D

All the others who had to do with such a rifle, do not sell it anymore, if they have one.

The only reason why there so many at the marked ATM is the age structure of actual/former Gun-owners and the current Gun Law who now says that also rifles have to be locked away in safes.

These used ones are mostly from ppl who are even to old for shooting or passed away or do not want to spend any money for Gunsafes, and unfortunately their relatives do nothing have to do with guns at all.
So for them Guns are just an evil thing and they want to get rid of it somehow. :-\

At the rest of us legal LAR fans, Marlin still has a great reputation and is considered as the best lever action ever existing.

·
Premium Member
8,310 Posts
Welcome to the club ;D

I'd definitely look for an older 336. You'll spend less $$ and have a better rifle

·
Premium Member
7,698 Posts
Welcome to MO.
I live in Palm Bch county A bit north of you. There is always A fair supply of good used Marlins localy. Qualified Gunsmiths are few and far between. I know of none I would recomend. Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Glad to see you here Ron. I can think of one gunsmith here Brevard County that might be able to do the work you want done. That's Titan Firearms. PM me if you want his phone number. ;D

·
Premium Member
4,446 Posts
Although I live in North Carolina now I was born and raised in South Florida and as Gaterskiner said there should me many many gun shops in your area along the GOLD COAST and especially in the Miami area if you want to risk life and limb to go down in some areas there these days!

I am more familiar with the Bradenton/Sarasota/Tampa area although a lot has changed down there since I moved up here 16 years ago! As I said before - if you spot anything you like take some pictures and post them on here - lots of folks here with great experience on all models of Marlins - there are many M.O.s all over Florida.

GB45

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the feedback and responses. I happened across three interesting ads. Maybe some of you might like to take a look and give me your thoughts.

Much appreciated!

#2 & #3 appear to have been manufactured pre Remington, so i wonder if those would be considered sound choices?

# 1
http://www.gunsamerica.com/94225459...Action/Marlin_model_336_octagon_30_30_Wi.htm#

http://www.gunsamerica.com/95867347...tion/Marl_in_336_BL_Big_Loop_NIB_JM_Stamp.htm

http://www.gunsamerica.com/96753045...lin_336_BL_30_30_Big_Loop_North_Haven_NIB.htm

·
Registered
86 Posts
Welcome and ask for the serial numbers of those 336s before your buy to confirm the date of mfg.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts