Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a great light load for my 1980s .444SS. It shoots really tight one hole groups, is cheap to shoot and recoil is light. I think it would be great for thick woods deer hunting!

Case---R-P
Powder---14.3 gr. Unique
Bullet---240gr. Sierra HP
Primer CCI 350 Magnum Large Pistol (I have about 10,000)
Velocity---app 1550? FPS

Got the data from Lyman #49 book for 245 gr. lead bullets.

Try It-----You'll Like It !!!
:biggrin:
Hip

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
I dump it from my Lyman Pistol Powder measure which has individual drums. It is very accurate and the Unique doesn't seem to be POSITION SENSITIVE at all.

Hip
+1, not position sensitive at all so doesn't require a filler. Being a fast burning powder, there's plenty of room left in the cavernous 444 case.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Found a great light load for my 1980s .444SS. It shoots really tight one hole groups, is cheap to shoot and recoil is light. I think it would be great for thick woods deer hunting!

Case---R-P
Powder---14.3 gr. Unique
Bullet---240gr. Sierra HP
Primer CCI 350 Magnum Large Pistol (I have about 10,000)
Velocity---app 1550? FPS

Got the data from Lyman #49 book for 245 gr. lead bullets.

Try It-----You'll Like It !!!
:biggrin:
Hip
Interesting, I've never tried a magnum pistol primer before......... Gotta give the load a try! :tee:

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I got them as a FREEBE years ago and give them a try with a lot of different calibers. Some work and other calibers I get hangfires with them as probably the primer pockets are too deep. I never use them with MAX loads unless the load calls for magnum primers.

Hip
QUOTE=GaCop;1734313]Interesting, I've never tried a magnum pistol primer before......... Gotta give the load a try! :tee:[/QUOTE]

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Never Tried Unique Myself. May have to give this'n a Try.
But, My T4 Loves 12gr of Trail Boss w/ LR Mag Primer behind a Hard Cast Lee 240gr SWC.
Very Accurate, Low Muzzle Blast & Very Mild Recoil.
Got an 8PT Buck 2yrs ago w/ Same Load.
UncleSarge58

Reactions: mt_sourdough

·
Registered
632 Posts
I use 17 grs of Unique, Remington 9 1/2 primer, with a RCBS 240 SWC GC cast from water dropped wheel weights. They weigh 245 grs. with the gas check. Sized .432. I get 1596 FPS from the 24 inch barrel of my 1970 444. SD is 19 FPS.
They have plenty of thump to knock the rams down at 200 in NRA lever action silhouettes.They group 2 MOA or so.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Never Tried Unique Myself. May have to give this'n a Try.
But, My T4 Loves 12gr of Trail Boss w/ LR Mag Primer behind a Hard Cast Lee 240gr SWC.
Very Accurate, Low Muzzle Blast & Very Mild Recoil.
Got an 8PT Buck 2yrs ago w/ Same Load.
UncleSarge58
Trail Boss is a great powder. I've used it a lot in my 45-70 but have yet to try it in the .444.

Reactions: unclesarge58

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
I have never tried Unique in my .444, but I have used it in several different loadings from my 45 Colt and 44 Special to a 45-70 load that is supposed to duplicate black powder. I will have to give this load a try.:biggrin: Thanks for the info/.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.