Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I went to Midwest Gunworks in Pevely, MO today to pick up a couple of rifles they worked for us (pictures tomorrow), then stopped by the Cabela's in Hazelwood on the way home. Complete surprise....when we walked by the aisle where the 22 is usually kept a staffer stopped us and said, "you look like you're looking for 22". No kidding... They had a cart with two staffers at it with about twenty bricks of CCI Blazer. We picked up two. That's the first time in months (like many months) I've seen anything more than boxes of 50 available anywhere.

Then, as a bonus, they had 45-70 brass (Remington, not Starline). I bought a 50 bag and left one for someone else. Great day! They also had a rough 39A on the used rack...at $699.

·
Premium Member
17,107 Posts
Hey Grunt,

Good for you!

Scored 5K WLP, today. (LGS called, and said his order came in, pays to have friends in "low" places) LOL

Later, Mark

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Grunt,

Good for you!

Scored 5K WLP, today. (LGS called, and said his order came in, pays to have friends in "low" places) LOL

Later, Mark
No kidding!

·
Premium Member
17,107 Posts
No kidding!
Hey Grunt,

Successfully "resisted" a LNIB K 38! (it was a "near" thing, only drooled on the counter, just a little bit) LOL

Later, Mark

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Grunt,

Successfully "resisted" a LNIB K 38! (it was a "near" thing, only drooled on the counter, just a little bit) LOL

Later, Mark
I had a beautiful K 38 6" ten years ago and sold it to a kid just starting to shoot. I hope he appreciates that little gem. It was smooth as silk.

·
Administrator
23,826 Posts
Talk about doubling down good day with your good luck charm and you score on .22s and brass.

You best take her on more road trips.

·
Premium Member
17,107 Posts
K 38's

I had a beautiful K 38 6" ten years ago and sold it to a kid just starting to shoot. I hope he appreciates that little gem. It was smooth as silk.
Hey Grunt,

Am pretty well "fixed", in the .38 department.:flute:

The M 15, was from same LGS, last year. (he "blindsided" me with it):biggrin:

Later, Mark

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Picked up my Rossi 720 yesterday, they were out of 44 Spl brass....Bought some once fired on Amazon, went to the other Cabelas in Hammond Indiana, they had 5 bags of new brass for less than what I paid for the once fired. You guys want bolt hunting rifles, Cabelas in Hammond Ind and Hoffman Estates Ill are the place...There is no rifle deer hunting in either state and they apparently get the same rifle inventory as every other store- naturally, they are slow sellers.

·
Premium Member
16,818 Posts
Hey Grunt,

Later, Mark
isn't it amazing how the people at the local gun shops you deal with on a regular bases, know your likes and keep this in mind when they are making trades or purchases with others, they know they already have a potential buyer and keep it back until the right opportunity. one dealer that I frequent, always keeps me in mind when he has opportunities for lever guns and good condition series 70 Colt's (he usually calls and says " I just picked up something you might be interested in"

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Next time you are in Pevely, go to Dunn's, it's on 61/67 just south of Z. They have reloading supplies, a nice selection of guns. It's a mom and pop store, so I try to support them even though they are a bit out of the way. Then stop at Main Street BBQ on Z. They serve up some good pig. And as you head back up north, stop in Fenton and check out the new Gander Mountain. If you had caught their Grand Opening last week you'd have seen more 22 lr than you could shake a stick at. They still have some, but the selection and quantities are limited. They have possibly the largest selection of guns I've seen anywhere.
I like the fact that Cabela's stocks ammo at random times to keep the "middlemen" guessing.
Cabela's used rack is fun to peruse, but there are definitely no bargains to be found there. They sure are proud of their used guns. I was looking at some sXs shotguns and saw one with a huge bulge about two inches from the muzzle end of one barrel. I pointed that out to an employee and he just shrugged.

·
Premium Member
16,818 Posts
Hey Grunt,

Later, Mark
gotta' luv those old school K-38's & K-22's (model 14, 15, 17 & 18's) can't rule out he stainless model 67's, but the usually require a little more effort in slicking up the actions though.

I did pick up model 64-5 fixed sight version last year that was a former NYPD issue revolver (bobbed hammer, double action only, marked NYPD), it has a super sweet action and shoots like a champ, I took off & stored the original Hogue grip and installed a set of the old S&W combat finger groove grips, it's a great shooter.
I only have one K-38 model 14 and one K-22 model 1, one 617 and one model 18, but I loaned my model 18 to my Dad about 6 or 7 years ago and he seems to have become attached to it (my Mom also enjoys shooting too) so I will have to wait to get it back one of these years

Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun accessory

Handgun holster Tan Brown Leather Gun accessory

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
Talked to the guy at wal mart yesterday, offered to let me call him and do an ammo check. He knows what stock is coming in apparently. Said one guy does that and shows up at )500 to be first in line. Three box maximum on any one flavor. Getting ready for a road trip so I'm not playing the game, yet. I do have a list of all the gun stores in the area that I'm going to visit though, (google yellow pages). Good luck in your shopping all!

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey Grunt,

Later, Mark
Wow! That's quite a collection! One of my many regrets is that I sold a 6" Python that I carried in a shoulder holster on duty for many years. What a fool.... The smoothest handgun I've ever owned.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.