Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get a new first rifle for each of the grand kids. I was thinking about a youth model but don’t know which way to go. Should I get them one that they can shoot comfortably when they get older? Was thinking about the Marlin lever action 22LR or Rossi with the 22LR and 20 gauge barrel. Looking for your opinions. :?

Nightfisher

Reactions: BFPGW

·
Registered
352 Posts
Nightfisher said:
I want to get a new first rifle for each of the grand kids. I was thinking about a youth model but don’t know which way to go. Should I get them one that they can shoot comfortably when they get older? Was thinking about the Marlin lever action 22LR or Rossi with the 22LR and 20 gauge barrel. Looking for your opinions. :?

Nightfisher
Those choices sound reasonable, but I would choose H&R/ NEF over the Rossi for single shot firearms. The Rossi's are rough cut in every way, metal, wood, ect.... Dont know about how they shoot, but I know the H&R's will!
RV

·
Registered
153 Posts
How about the little Savage Favorite? It's a neat little falling block and looks like it did 100 years ago. 8)
Rich

Reactions: BFPGW

·
Registered
64 Posts
Kids rifle..........

I really like the Savage falling block rifle. I have a Savage Mdl. 74. From what I understand it was brought out by Savage in 1974. The thing shoots great, the best shot with it was killing a squirrel at a laser ranged 92 yds, but it took 2 shots, off hand at that. I would like to say it was skill from growing up squirrel hunting but that was just luck. They are great little rifles for beginners or experienced shooters. I picked this one up in Colorado in a pawn shop used for about $45.00 in 97.

Steve E..........

G

·
Both my kids(boy&girl) had trouble uncocking weapons with exposed hammers when they were 7-8 years old.We had one accidental discharge,scared the hell out of all of us.The gun was pointed in a safe direction,NO not luck but TRAINING.
Depending on your grandkids age, strength and maturity,I would let them try several types of firearms and see what they and you felt most comfortable with.I'm sure there are lots of gunowners around more than glad to help get a kid started out on the right foot and let them handle a veriaty af actions.All that said, I must say I love the hammer guns,cut my own teeth on an H&R.

G

·
Both my kids(boy&girl) had trouble uncocking weapons with exposed hammers when they were 7-8 years old.We had one accidental discharge,scared the hell out of all of us.The gun was pointed in a safe direction,NO not luck but TRAINING.
Depending on your grandkids age, strength and maturity,I would let them try several types of firearms and see what they and you felt most comfortable with.I'm sure there are lots of gunowners around more than glad to help get a kid started out on the right foot and let them handle a veriaty af actions.All that said, I must say I love the hammer guns,cut my own teeth on an H&R.

·
Registered
706 Posts
RV Stallard said:
Those choices sound reasonable, but I would choose H&R/ NEF over the Rossi for single shot firearms. The Rossi's are rough cut in every way, metal, wood, ect.... Dont know about how they shoot, but I know the H&R's will!
RV

I would go with the H&R/NEF too and the new ones have a firing pin transfer bar so if the hammer is dropped without the trigger being pulled nothing will happen.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Major said:
RV Stallard said:
RV

I would go with the H&R/NEF too and the new ones have a firing pin transfer bar so if the hammer is dropped without the trigger being pulled nothing will happen.
Very good point! The NEF gets my vote, too.

G

·
It depends on how much experience they have at shooting. If they're beginners, then it's hard to beat the Marlin 15YN. And you can put the action in a full size Model 15 stock when they grow up. Sweet little gun. And capable of maxxing the BDT.

·
Registered
183 Posts
My 10yr old son started out with this Marlin 15YN at age 5. It's been in the safe for a few years gathering dust. My 4yr old boy will start out on it this year.

For the purpose of breaking in a young shooter, and learning basic safety rules, I can't think of a better single shot rifle.......However, be warned, kids today will not be satisfied with a single shot rifle for long.....especially if they are around other kids who have repeaters, autos, lever rifles, etc.

I can reccomend the 15YN.....within noted parimeters.

This one may be for sale next year. Anyone want it?

hogship

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Yep agree, go with the Marlin 15yn..

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
Got my son the 15ys coupla years back & he likes it & can hit with it.
The fire sights make explaining sight picture easy too. Its also real accurate, it now wears a scope & shoots dime size groups at 25yrds.
Took out a crow at 125 paces last year, was playing mostly as I thought it was too far out, held just over his back & poof, no more crow.
Never woulda hit it with my 10/22.
So far he hasnt complained about it being a single shot. He can work that bolt pretty quick now & still burns up the ammo 1 at a time
[/url]
The smaller boy's got the 15ys in his hands, he's still a bit small for it & I'm considering shortning the stock for him.

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
RV Stallard thanks for the mentioning the H&R. I had not thought about the H&R but have shot them before and I like them. I like what Major said about the firing pin transfer bar not letting the hammer hit the firing pin if accidentally released. Makes a lot of sense. I do remember what it was like for me when I was young boy trying to pull one of the hammers back on one of my dad’s shot guns. Hard for small thumbs. Does H&R have a setup where you can get the rifle and shot gun barrel as a set?

Steve and retired squid I have looked at the Savage first. I started off with a Stevens shotgun myself.

The oldest grand kid is a girl 8 years old that goes hunting with her father now. He is and avid deer and turkey hunter. He is planning on her getting her first turkey this spring. That is the reason I was interested in the Rossi because of having the 20 gauge barrel and the 22 rim fire barrel. She is left handed and don’t think the right handed bolt action 915YN would do good. I think it would be perfect for her younger brother though. Does anyone know of a left handed bolt action rim fire in youth model that they would recommend?

Thanks

G

·
Hey Nightfisher,
The Mdl.74 Savage has a transfer bar system also as most of the more recently manufactured falling blocks from Savage.
Have you ever thought about the T/C Contenders, barrel choice is almost unlimited. As they grow and get bigger so can the calibers. The Carbine in a synthetic stock with a 16 or 20 or so inch barrel should weigh in around 5 1/2 lbs. Can also use it as a handgun by changing barrels and stock to a hand grip. I have 2 Contenders, 1 as handguns and 1 as a rifle and I have 1 Encore as a handgun and 1 as rifle. I guess you can see I kinda like them.

Steve E.........

·
Registered
706 Posts
Nightfisher said:
Does H&R have a setup where you can get the rifle and shot gun barrel as a set?
The H&R/NEF on-line catalog lists what they call a "22/410 Versa-Pack"® You might check into that but I didn't see a 20-gauge combo.

You can buy a .22LR and add a .22 MAG or .17HMR later and also buy a seperate 20-gauge action which can be later have a 12-gauge added as the kids grow. The .22 and the 20-gauge are both inexpensive without coming as a set.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts