Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got some LVR powder and was wondering if anyone tore a factory cartridge apart, I'm all out. Thanks

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
dtkraj said:
I just got some LVR powder and was wondering if anyone tore a factory cartridge apart, I'm all out. Thanks
No, but I will if somebody sends me one.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Yep. Sure did. I got 35.6 grains on the rcbs 505 scale. ;D

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, just loaded up 3 more at 35.5 grains. So far 34,34.5, and 35 grains, neck sized,rem primers and hornady brass has been much more consistent and accurate than factory in my winchester.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Here is what 35gr of LE powder under a 160grFTX and a CCI primer does at 100 yds.

Four shot group at a 1" spread with one cloverleaf. 35 gr does about 2200fps.
:D :D :D

·
Registered
238 Posts
Wow thats nice accuracy GJinNY. I got a bunch of 160,s loaded up myself. I,m just waiting the dang wheather to clear up and settle down for some range time. I am still using IMR- 4064 and H-4895. May have to go with the LE powder. We,ll see. I get 2335 with the factory stuff in my rifle. I get that easily with my handloads but my accuracy is no where near what your getting. ::) ::)

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
I have tried H4895 and gave up on it and was using 32.5 gr of Reloader 15 and getting about a 1 1/2" groups at 100 yds.
Then with the LE powder, it is a little tighter.

The weather has not been nice here either. I was out in 15 F a few weeks ago, the 40 F last week. Should be 31 F this Thursday.
One thing about the cold weather....it's the same as when deer season is on. Sooooo, it's all good when you get to go shootin!

·
Registered
238 Posts
I,m going to give the LE powder a go myself. I,m getting super duper velocity with H-4895 but can,t hit anything. However I did losen up the front barrel band screw to just snug and put on the ramline sythetic stock. I love the black look. The only thing left is gettin the FTX bullet to shoot better. If I,m still not there after playing with screws then its time for a powder change and perhaps a little less velocity.

·
Premium Member
6,287 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,520 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
The Hodgdon 2011 manual calls for Winchester cases, WLR primers, Max charge of 35.5gr LVR powder (compressed) at 2389 fps and 37,500 CUP. 160 gr Hdy FTX at 2.535" OAL.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
35 gr of LE powder and a CCI primer do the job for me. the COL you posted looks good too. 2.55" seems too much

·
Registered
125 Posts
Right of Hodgdon website,
160 GR. HDY FTX Hodgdon LVR .308" 2.535" 32.0 2221 31,200 CUP 35.5C 2389 37,500 CUP

·
Premium Member
6,287 Posts
mr fixit said:
Just went there and I read the same as the bottle [email protected] with the 160FTX bullet, best be rechecking what you're reading. Mr fixit
I'm sorry mr fixit but I just don't understand what your trying to tell me. If it's the difference between the max charge in hodgdon data LVR 35.5C gr. [compress]and HDY.#8 book data LVR. 37.0gr. it's what's in print. No reason to pull a bullet on a factory cartridge assuming the powder that comes out is indeed the exact powder you have in the can or even the same exact powder blend. Be safe and work with what you know you have.

If the "bottle" means the [cartridge] I'm on to that. Hodgdon data states that the LVR powder is "compress" with 35.5C gr. so no need to open cartridge

However HDY. #8 book goes to 37.0 gr. it also states Federal 210 primer.

TO NY

·
Super Moderator
16,520 Posts
No offense meant, it's just that the info I have available to me, maxs' the load at 35.5c grs with the FTX and that is off the bottle of powder. I will also state that on the Hodgdon website apparently I found a printout of both the LeverEvolution powder and the Superformance powder, in that they list the cases as Winchester and use Winchester LR primers again the max is as listed above. Hornady may be pushing the CUP a bit with 37.0gr. as at 35.5c gr. it 's at 37,500. I'll stick with what I have on hand for right now, perhaps more info will be forth coming as loads get developed. Mr fixit

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Actually, although Hodgdon does use different blends for the different loaded cartridges, they have stated the powder made and sold for public use is the same blend they use in the 30-30.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Have you guys ever noticed that hornady brass weighs about 8 to 10 grains heavier than Win. brass. So if that is the case would you assume a max load in win brass would be over max in hornady brass. See what what i,m getting at guys. Even with H4895 powder I cannot assume the max load is the same with the three brands of brass I have on hand. The hornady brass is pretty heavy so I would assume it would take less LE powder to hit a certain velocity than brass that weighs 10 grains less. If I sound like a nut cake just ignore me.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Hub is right, I should of underlined or highlighted the differences in my post of Hodgdon's data. I am going to try LVR with the Ranch Dog 165gr GC bullet with the intent of matching my Varget load's velocity at a lower pressure. This is the beauty of it in my mind, a larger margin of safety, not a higher velocity.

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
I'm headed to 3 gun shops today to see if any of them have the LVR powder. So far no luck in this area.

·
Premium Member
6,287 Posts
Gohon said:
Actually, although Hodgdon does use different blends for the different loaded cartridges, they have stated the powder made and sold for public use is the same blend they use in the 30-30.
This is true but each lot of the same powder varies and it's recommended by all powder companies to be cautious. Personally I don't even use the few grains leftover in a one pound bottle to add to another of the same powder with the same lot number bought at the same time. I don't need the problem.

And you much agree compress powder load is all you have to know.
They're no secret compartment in the cartridge.

But now that I said that. If you feel the need to take a perfectly good cartridge a part it's your property do what you like with it.

For those whom don't have a HDY. handbook of cartridge reloading 8th. edition 30 30 data for the LVR. powder is.
Win.M94 20" barrel 1 in 12 twist / case Hornady/Frontier / Federal primer 210 / #30395 FTX (160GR.)/ b.c: 0.330 c.o.l.: 2.535" case length max: 2.039" trim length: 2.029"

LEVEREVOLUTION. [email protected] FPS] [[email protected] 2000FPS] [[email protected]] [[email protected]] [[email protected]] [[email protected] red indicates maximum * use with caution.

THIS IS COPIED OUT OF THE BOOK NOT MY DATA. IF YOU USE THIS DATA YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN RISK

TO NY

1 - 20 of 26 Posts