Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It just would not be complete without one. Let's hear your tips on seasoning, cooking, how you clean yours, what you use, etc.

I've only gotten serious about cast iron in the last 1 1/2 years. I had tried a long time ago, but the Ex had this thing about a pan that looked black on the bottom and she would scrub 'em out till they shined :roll: I have three now: A huge fryer that I use mostly to bake/oven fry, a med fryer that is just getting a good seasoning and a really handy med round griddle that makes the best eggs/omelets or grilled sandwichs around.

I've found the trick seems to be not to try to turn the food right away; let it get good and brown on one side before turning and it comes right off the skillet without sticking. Don't be in a hurry, cook at a lower temp and let the pan do the job properly. I use olive oil and peanut oil or maybe a little butter when I'm doing hashbrowns.

My favorite chicken, now, is in the oven, not on the Weber! I heat up the oven with the big spider in there with the oil in it to 425 and make sure it gets good an smokin'. Then put the seasoned chicken in there and turn the oven down a tad, maybe 375. Turn after 20 min or so. I like to pull mine out about 30 seconds after the juice turns clear :wink: Some like it a little more well done. This oven frying works for most other meat, as well. I don't know why the cast iron makes it so tender and juicy, but it does.

I'm gonna go shopping today and get some catfish and do some hushpuppies. (And people wonder why they call me Tubby :oops: )

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
tubbythetuba said:
I had tried a long time ago, but the Ex had this thing about a pan that looked black on the bottom and she would scrub 'em out till they shined :roll: I have three now:

Three ex wives??

:lol: :lol:

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
VTDW said:
tubbythetuba said:
I had tried a long time ago, but the Ex had this thing about a pan that looked black on the bottom and she would scrub 'em out till they shined :roll: I have three now:

Three ex wives??

:lol: :lol:
Only two......and never shall there be a third :)

·
Registered
485 Posts
tubby i only got 1 but have lots of cast iron cookware :lol: i wash mine in hot soapy water dry & recoat with veg oil every time; some of my freinds only make cornbread in there"s & never wash just wipe out & reoil, that would probly be ok but anytime i have food that might stick & grow something green i'm gonna wash it if it sticks alittle more next time i use it i can handle it. i had food poisining 1 time from hardee's & never ever want to try it again. if i have something that has stuck a scotchbrite pad works great, bet CJ cooks with teflon cookie sheets to get them just rite :lol: i have found i am very versitile i can burn it in teflon just as quick as cast iron. :lol: mike

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wash it out with hot water and a stiff brush, but never soap. Then I put it back on the stove to get a bit hot, then re-oil. It's like the BBQ grill, no one ever gets sick off of that, do they? Don't blame ya tho, the worst I ever felt was after getting a bad microwave burrito at the stop and go. Had to go to on sick call it was so bad. Ya gotta do what's best for ya, but really, if ya clean it real good with water and scrub it out with brush, it'll be ok, I promise.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
If your out in the woods and don't have any water to clean with, just pour a little salt in the pan and take a paper towel and rub it clean, it works great. You wouldn't have to reseason it etheir.

Sturgis

·
Registered
888 Posts
I Love cooking with cast--I have to agree--{although I can't shed any light on the reasoning}--there's just something about it-- that to me personally--makes food taste better.

I was taught by my Dad to either boil water in them and scrap them as they're boiling then dump them out and wipe them dry & to use salt-- either one. Mom---gotta love her & both my sisters -- always stuck them in the sink full of soapy water---sure caused some excitement if they got to the cast pans before Dad or I. Mister has done this too. :shock: :wink: Let's just say those pans were and are well seasoned on a regular basis--LMAO :wink:

I confess I'm no expert on cast by a long shot and have been entertaining the idea of playing with it this summer over a fire pit I intend to dig in my yard, and experimenting -- Mister isn't aware of my plans as yet :D

Mike is right-- in my oven I use teflon for cookies--but I discovered the cast oven that would make it possible for me make cookies via the campfire--that's my goal this summer. :D

·
Registered
41 Posts
:D Cast iron pots and pans and the dutch oven. That's all we had when we were kids. Then Teflon came along and out went the cast iron. Sure wish I had the old cast iron back again. We just washed them in the sink with the other dishes. Never oiled them after they were seasoned a few times. Love the taste of the food that comes with the cast iron cooking. Now there is some scare going around that Teflon coated pans are losing their surfaces. Same thing with aluminum. Not good for humans. I have an old rusty cast iron griddle that I'm going to clean up and re-season. That better not get tossed out! :(

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
dread said:
:D Cast iron pots and pans and the dutch oven. That's all we had when we were kids. Then Teflon came along and out went the cast iron. Sure wish I had the old cast iron back again. We just washed them in the sink with the other dishes. Never oiled them after they were seasoned a few times. Love the taste of the food that comes with the cast iron cooking. Now there is some scare going around that Teflon coated pans are losing their surfaces. Same thing with aluminum. Not good for humans. I have an old rusty cast iron griddle that I'm going to clean up and re-season. That better not get tossed out! :(

Hey, Dread........Put that rusty griddle in a shallow pan and cover with coka-cola overnight. Put 'er in the oven on the clean cycle and that will complete the cleaning. Scrub 'er down with soap and green pad, rinse and she's ready to season.

Reactions: Owen49

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thanks ttt, If I can get to the store and get some Coke, I'll try it. As for the oven, do you mean to put it on high and put the griddle in there? My oven has somekind of surface that burns the food spills off right away. I don't think it has a "self-cleaning" cycle? I don't mind using some elbow grease to clean it. I kind of hate cleaning the "seasoning" that is on there now, off. It looks pretty cruddy tho. LOL. I'll let you know when I get it cleaned. May take awhile to get to it? :D

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
CJ: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, that's me. This B.A.S.S. guy at work won't go with me 'cause I'll keep a couple for the pan :roll:

·
Registered
888 Posts
Tubby--You come on up here and go fishin' with Mister & I and we'll cook them buggers up and eat em with ya. :D

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Peach Cobler in a dutch oven. Put a throw away foil pie pan in the bottom if you don't want to clean it after. Pour in a white cake mix, add one large can of Peaches, stir the cake mix and juice, cover. I have the boy scout type with legs, 11 charcoal on top and 11 charcoal under cooks at 350. Great dessert to eat around the camp fire.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sure-Shot said:
Peach Cobler in a dutch oven. Put a throw away foil pie pan in the bottom if you don't want to clean it after. Pour in a white cake mix, add one large can of Peaches, stir the cake mix and juice, cover. I have the boy scout type with legs, 11 charcoal on top and 11 charcoal under cooks at 350. Great dessert to eat around the camp fire.
I'm dumb........do you put everything that the cake mix calls for, or just the cake mix powder and the peaches (no eggs, oil, water, etc)?

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Just the cake mix, peaches and the juice the peaches are in, I usually use the sliced ones rather than the halves, and make sure to use the large can of peaches not the one the size of a soup can.

·
Registered
485 Posts
dread you can throw your griddle on the grill with it turned up high works just as well as the oven. high heat is whats needed to take off uneven carbon build up got a buddy throws his in a campfire to take it off :) mike

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi Mike243, Will do if I get a bbq going. I should not have said "rusty" as the griddle is only covered by the carbon stuff on there thick. Burning it off is probably the easiest way to go. I could hit it with the propane torch too , I suppose. I will get around to it soon. :) Too many irons in the fire right now. :D
I thought like ttt, that the cake mix would have to be made and then put it in the dutch oven on top of the peach slices? No eggs and oil? Stir the peach juice into the cake mix then dump it on the sliced peaches. Sounds easy enough for even me to do. :) I sure love peach cobbler and I look like I do too! Need to go on a diet? How does the "Atkins" diet sound? Anyone on it? Just wondered. My brother is on it and he's lost 30 lbs. No cobbler for him! :D Jim

·
Registered
485 Posts
dread dont know what part of the country your from but if i get a chance to go to shawnee this year i'll make a big batch of peach cobbler dang its great & easy,i may hang out at camp 1 day & just cook reckon thats why i'm a little over weight :lol: mike

·
Registered
41 Posts
Mike, sounds good. I asked my Mom (83 yr. young) about not puting the egss, oil , etc. in the cake mix. She said I must follow the directions on the box. LOL. If it calls for oil, eggs, etc., then I must put that in or the cake will not be good. Just to let you know. I'm still going to try it your way tho. Jim. :D

1 - 20 of 143 Posts