Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Overall I have to say I am happy with the purchase and the way the gun functions and performs.

I went to the range yesterday and tried 5 different factory 357 brands/types and 2 38's. They all cycled flawlessly. No problems whatsover. They load fine except you have to push them in pretty deep with your finger for the loading port/door to close, but it's not bad. Sometimes I just leave the rim sticking out and push another one in. No FTF's or FTE's so that's #1 and so far so good after going through 90 rounds. This is the ammo I used in order of accuracy:

#1 Hornady FTX LeverEvolution 140gr (Best 3-shot group was 1.25" CTC at 25yds but 5-shot group was 1.75" best)
#2 CCI Blazer Brass 158gr JHP (2" CTC at 25yds)
#3 Hornady XTP 158gr JHP
#4 PMC Bronze 158gr JSP
#5 Fed. Amer.Eagle 158gr JSP

The rest were 2.5" avg at 25yds, but it could have been me. You may have different results because I am an average shot at best with iron sights and I don't have 20/20 vision, and was trying to figure out how to line up that front sight and also made some adjustments to the sights in the middle of shooting.. But best 2 I listed were noticeably more consistent.

The trigger could be lighter but I am getting used to it. Accuracy was decent at 25yds, but at 50 yards I could not see the bulls too well and got 3.5 to 4" groups mostly on a relatively calm day (3-5mph wind). I still need to work on that. I know it's that front sight and also me.. My vision is not great and I have glasses to drive and different ones to read. Without them I am pretty blind and always use scopes on all my rifles, even my Marlin 336. It had been a while since I shot a gun with open sights besides handguns. Last time was my Win. 94 30-30 about 3yrs ago.

Here is what I don't like about the gun which is probably nothing new to anyone. The front sight beed is too hard to see and I think the sight is too long/high. The trigger could be lighter and one of my biggest gripe is the dang stock. It is poorly finished and scratches VERY easily. I also got some fine indentations/pressure marks on it - but I don't now how it happened. I was very careful not to touch anything and the sand bags could not have done that. I also placed it on a thick towel when laying it down (very slowly). The wood is way too soft and there is probably 1 coat of finish on it. It's a dang shame they can't get the stock right. The action loosened up, but even after cycling it 200-250 times the lever is still hard to break and hard to lock. I also found 1 lower screw stripped on the right side and I am not sure what that affects, if anything. Most of the other screws were extremely loose and I tightened them mildly. They did not move after shooting 90 rounds. And lastly the gun NEEDS a rubber shoulder pad!! My shoulder is hurting me from the recoil of the 357's (38 was fine and like shooting 22LR HV). That steel butt plate which does nothing but helping I think in the destruction of your shoulder muscle and bone. It hurts more today than it did yesterday.

Do they make an aftermarket shoulder pad for the 92 and is it easy to install or should I put a towel or something on my shoulder next time? I know I am not shooting the gun without protecting my shoulder again. I shoot my 30-06 and 7mm Mag often and never had this problem, but then again they have large rubber butt pads. I will be shooting a lot more 38 Special with the 92 until I can resolve this problem.
Well that's about it. I am happy the gun is not a "lemon" and I can keep shooting it until I have a gunsmith do some work on it.

Harry

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I have the same gun mine is a 20" stainless. I could shoot it all day with factory loads.
I have the crescent butt plate, But I also shoot about 6,000+ rounds of 12 gauge a year
for sporting clays.

I sent my gun out to get an action job which included a trigger job (3 lbs.)
There is a guy who will saw the crescent off and put on an extension and
a nice butt pad for you.

There is a trick to the loading gate on the Rossi. instead of inserting the
round in straight, cant it a bit down as you insert it and it'll go in easier.
I found this out the hard way.

I also had a stainless steel follower put in to replace the cheap plastic one
and had that idiotic safety removed.
The Rossi will feed 38 specials at least round rose bullets with no problems.

The stocks are an issue but no scratches in mine yet but the wood is soft.
I'd swap out the stock in a second for a Boyds stock if I could get one to
fit properly.

You might mitigate some of that recoil by mounting the gun differently
on your shoulder. I've read if you hold it the same as you would a regular rifle
you can get a sore shoulder because of the crescent design.

You can easily buy front and rear sights for it StevezGuns sells quite a few
different ones.
I actually like my front sight for silhouette targets but I am using the stock
sights. Many guys use a tang rear aperture sight and a fiber optic front
sight.

Glad you had fun with yours it's a fun gun to shoot.

·
Registered
7,734 Posts
The action job from Steve's Guns is worth every penny. Either buy the video and do it yourself (call Steve, he'll tell you which parts to order) or send it to him. The action will be smoother, the trigger lighter, and the loading easier. I did my own for a .44 mag.

And I agree with you about the crescent butt plate. You could also have a butt cuff made and insert about 3/4" of closed cell foam between the butt plate and the cuff. That helped tame mine. Anything to soften up the edges and points of that crescent.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
The guy who did my action job rounded all the edges on the butt stock.
But a pad would be a lot better.
But I'd only do that if I bought another stock.
Boyds no longer makes their 90 degree finish stocks. Bummer!

·
Banned
2,803 Posts
Own 3 of the Amadeo Rossi pre safety 92s (357 Mag, 44 Mag, 454 Casull) built with no lawyer junk like The Duke & Mother Nature intended.
Deadly accurate, slick and dependable.
I tuned & polished them up myself before there ever was a Steve's Gunz kit.
Great rifles.
Apparently the new BrazTech 92s are loaded with useless safety junk and have quality control issues.
Seems to be the way of the future for gun manufacturers to try and maximize profits by letting quality slide.
Also BrazTech won't sell you parts to fix your gun.
Glad I got 3 of the older ones.
I'm very happy with them years after the purchase.

·
Registered
11,172 Posts
Well glad you got a good one and are satisfied. I've got one made by Puma and imported by LSI, love this rifle, its very accurate and I can shoot it all day long with either 38s or the 357s. Mine is the SS 24" Octagon model and maybe the heft of the big barrel may tame the recoil, because it is about like shooting a 22 mag. Just makes bigger holes in stuff, l0l. The only thing I've done to mine was shorten the magazine spring which helped it cycle better. I do need to get and change out the follower, but haven't just yet. I may get the trigger lightened later but its not that big of deal right now.
Congrats again on your purchase, enjoy.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention I took a nice little 8 pointer with it the first deer season after I got it. hooray! :flute:

·
Banned
2,803 Posts
Those Rossi 92 rifles don't kick.........even the 454 Casull version is "kids stuff".

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Only1harry, I had a older Interarms Rossi 92. It had a 20inch barrel and was 44 Mag. The recoil was so light that I fell in love with it immediately. Later I got a newer Rossi 92 in 44 Mag. That one had a 24 inch Octagon barrel. I liked that one better and believed it would be more accurate because of the dovetail holding the magazine tube and the foretip. It was much easier to take down for cleaning. Oh yes it had the crescent butt. Now here comes the clincher. That crescent butt plate hurts no matter how you hold it. With hot loads your not going to like it. I n the past I laughed at anyone who said a 44 levergun kicked. The other Rossi from Interarms had a steel buttplate also, but it was square in design with no crescent. That gun literally felt like shooting 22 mag or slightly bigger. A leather butt cuff most definitely will be an improvement and they don't look bad at all.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info guys! I like the idea of a leather butt cuff because I think that might look the best, but I will also look at a butt cuff option filled with foam. Can any of you post pics of pads on your 92's? That would be greatly appreciated.

I have the 20" Stainless steel version. I tried shouldering the gun different ways - it didn't help. Shoulder still hurts today but it's better than yesterday :)

Loading is really not bad. Both Hornadys went right in and the loading gate closed after each one I insterted. It was the CCI, PMC and Fed. that required a little more effort, but only about an extra second, maybe 2. I agree this gun could greatly benefit from a good action polish job, springs, steel follower, and a 3lb trigger. And of course a dang butt pad!! :)

Harry

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.