1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
You actually bought that rifle in Ilion?

Never thought of it before ... but I bet they are putting the creme de la creme on the shelves in Ilion.

Are they still producing them there or have they already moved to Huntsville?

I was told the ones produced in Huntsville will have a new barrel stamp. "HUNT"

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Yep, picked it up on my way out of work tonight. Marlin lever actions are still made in Ilion. I don't know about creme de la creme, but they give us some good deals on guns that were demo or display pieces.
"Good deals." How so?

Do they actually have a FFL licensed sales store on premises, right there at the factory?

Do tell.

Do you know of anyone that actually works there?

We used to have a long of guys in the old Connecticut factory that were members here.

Demos and display rifles ... I'll bet they dang sure made sure those were the creme de la creme of the crop.

Double congrats. I'll bet you've got a good one.

Welcome to the MO.

Who was the "us" you speak of? How many deals did they give y'all? Did you get the sense that it was a moving sale of sorts?

Keep your box, your sales receipt and any other documentation you may have received.

Take some close-ups of the fit and finish for us if you will please.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Us is the employees, I am one. I don't work on any Marlins there, but I was there when they moved in and can say that they've come a long, long way from where they were at arrival in Ilion. They do the FFL sales right through the factory. We have what is called the WIP list. Any guns that were demos or displays or have minor cosmetic imperfections, etc get put on the list at deeply discounted prices. Most of the time you would never know the gun had anything wrong with it. It varies from week to week, month to month as to what is on the list. Basically anything that any of our companies make could end up on it. I'll get some closeups taken tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Congrats! Looking forward to a range report too!

Reactions: AlaskaDawg

·
Registered
661 Posts
Nice rifle Deerslayer. Thanks for the inside info. See if you can get them to run some .38-55 cowboys, there must be a suggestion box, Right?

Reactions: DeerSlayer7600

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Us is the employees, I am one. I don't work on any Marlins there, but I was there when they moved in and can say that they've come a long, long way from where they were at arrival in Ilion. They do the FFL sales right through the factory. We have what is called the WIP list. Any guns that were demos or displays or have minor cosmetic imperfections, etc get put on the list at deeply discounted prices. Most of the time you would never know the gun had anything wrong with it. It varies from week to week, month to month as to what is on the list. Basically anything that any of our companies make could end up on it. I'll get some closeups taken tomorrow.
I think this is just awesome!

Looking forward to the pics.

So when is everyone moving to Alabamy? My buddy's company just got through doing a bunch of work down there.

·
Premium Member
17,013 Posts
Hey 7600,

Fine looking 1894!

Should do nicely, keeping the freezer full!

Later, Mark

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Picked up 60rds of Hornady LeveRevolution today. I plan to get the XS ghost ring rail and add a red dot to it in the future. Also debating the possibility of adding a Wild West Guns big loop lever to it.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Welcome to all things Marlin from Alaska. Great pics of a handy lever and caliber. Look forward to seeing the "paperwork".

·
Registered
22,399 Posts
I'm new here and posted a few today about my newly acquired Marlin 1894 in .44 Mag - yes, DS7600, it is a thing of beauty! First time out at the range, about a month or so ago, I started sight-in at 25 yards (factory iron sights). Four rounds put me in the black, so I moved to 50 yards to fine tune it. Fired one round, cycled the lever . . . and jammed a round firmly between the carrier assembly and the mouth of the feed tube. Would not budge no matter how hard I tried to dislodge it. So I gave my fellow range mates a crash course in field stripping a lever gun. Once I got to the tube and loosened it, the round fell free. I have heard the stories about the post-JM and Remlin myths but I still felt the gun was good - and I was right! Turns out, the fault lay with the shooter - me. I'm left-handed and when I cycled the lever, I tilted the gun to the right and the round headed for the open port thanks to the effect of gravity and when I tried to close it, the round wasn't centered properly in the carrier assembly. Well, from then on, I made sure I held the rifle vertically when working the lever and had no further problems. The rest of the day was uneventful and the gun shoots good! Even with the terrible factory trigger, I was able to shoot 3.5" to 4" groups at 100 yards with LeverEvolution 225 gr FTX loads.

But I ran into another problem when I decided to replace the factory sights with a Ghost Ring set from XS Sight Systems. After mounting a ghost ring aperture and the front ramp, I sighted down the barrel and noticed that the front blade was tilted to the right about 2 degrees - it was not perpendicular to the barrel. This wasn't noticeable with the factory sights since the buckhorn masks the post when you sight down the barrel. I called XS and their techie informed me that there was a problem with clocking the barrel. I don't pretend to be knowledgeable about gun technicalities so I took his word for it. The tap holes were not perpendicular to the frame but he did say that they had a remedy in the form of a front ramp that was modified with oval mount holes. He sent one out to me and when I mounted it, all I had to do was move the ramp a bit to the left and once tightened down, the blade was now 90 degrees to the bore.

Well, I've since mounted an XS Scout Scope Mount, with Leupold QDRs and a Weaver 4X scout scope, a WWG Trigger Happy Kit and I've ordered the Big Loop Lever. I couldn't get a blued Trigger so I got a stainless (nickle finish) one and it looks cool! I have the lever plunger, spring and pin on order and when I get the lever in about 3-4 weeks, I will have a lever gun that Ohio whitetails will come to fear this deer season.

Gr8rtst

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Took the rifle to the range today. The only bad thing I have to say about it is that the stock trigger and sights are horrible on it. I couldn't do better than a 5 inch group at 50 yards. Wild West Guns trigger and XS ghost rail is on the way.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Gr8rtst said
The tap holes were not perpendicular to the frame but he did say that they had a remedy in the form of a front ramp that was modified with oval mount holes. He sent one out to me and when I mounted it, all I had to do was move the ramp a bit to the left and once tightened down, the blade was now 90 degrees to the bore.
Hate to sound pessimistic buti think it's pretty sad when quality is so consistently poor that the aftermarket parts companies have to modify their parts to compensate for factory defects.

Just sayin'.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Wow. The front sight tap holes are not aligned properly? Requires a "fix"? I'd freak out if I saw that on a brand new rifle.
Well, I guess they still have some issues to resolve. I am beginning to wonder if they will ever get their act together.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Deerslayer7600, congratulations on buying my favorite rifle in one of my favorite calibers :congrats: You will love it and also find that you cant live without owning a few more of them :biggrin:

Jack

1 - 20 of 32 Posts