Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can they build such a quality die for less than 10 bucks? The directions said that Speer says its bullets dont like Lee dies. Does anyone know why? I think this die should solve my problem of fourth and fifth cartridge having bullets pushed back into cases. Especially when I fire 2 or 3 shots and then reload. Those last 2 in the magazine can really get a bunch of shots fired over them before their shot. Frank

·
Registered
116 Posts
Personally, I don't like Speer anyway. So I wouldn't care if their bullets didn't like my die. And I'm really glad you got that crimp die because you should never shoot an uncrimped round that has been loaded into a tubular magazine for the exact reason you stated...bullet compresses into the case and that can create overpressure which can lead to some bad mojo... :)

(this is one reason why I don't like Speer ammo - our duty ammo was Speer and the bullets had a tendency to compress into the case when a round was loaded into the chamber - ATF had a few guns blow up on them when they switched to Speer - and we switched ammo after that - and they tend to "not work as advertised" :()

Crimp away and enjoy...

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
I love FCDs! I use a hard crimp on everything! When you want to seat a bullet ( especially cast) to a certain COL and it is above or below the crimp groove...enter the dragon, I mean, the FCD! Did I say I love them? I also use Speer bullets, and I crimp the devil out of them too,,and they shoot great!

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
I've ordered my Lee FCD right away with the RCBS dies. Gotta have it.

I use Lee FCD's for almost all my straight-wall calibers.

Pete

·
Registered
12 Posts
A must have for my 45-70 and easy to use. I like them so much that I now have them for the 223, 308, and 300RUM.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Same here, love the FCD. It is really a great piece of kit that makes crimping a real joy knowing you aren't going to smash a case. Scotty

·
Registered
277 Posts
Frank,

Glad you posted this topic, what did you have to do to have a die made for you? I am looking to have one made for my .308 and .338MX.

Thanks
John

·
Registered
277 Posts
Disregard last transmission, I just looked up the Lee website and found out how to order the "special" die.

Thanks
John

·
Registered
8,702 Posts
I like Lee dies period! They are not expensive and do the job! No offense to those who like dies with the big $$ signs. I won't buy a set of Lee dies without the LFCD.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I use the Lee FCD on my 45-70 & 444. I use a chrono to develop all my handloads and noticed that the velocity spreads tightened up with the Lee crimp. Doesn't like Speer bullets??? The UCHP is all I use in my 45-70 (one tough jacketed bullet). Never had a problem...

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
Sometimes I use it, most times I dont. If I have a cannalure to roll crimp into I usually just seat & crimp at the same time. I think Speer dont like the die because it WILL compress a bullet. I can elate to that in a way. Copper or brass has alot more spring back than lead. I was useing a LFC die for pistols with the carbide ring & it sized the round down until I could spin the lead bullet. The carbide sized both the case & bullet but the case sprung back more losing its grip on the bullet. Given that I think its possible to maybe loosen a jacket on a cup and core bullet. That said I use a LFC die on all sorts of Speer bullets all the time without issue. ;) Just because a thing is possible dont mean it cant be avoided.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Use one on my 45-70, 30-30, 300 WM, 7mm-08, and 270. Wont home roll without one.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Well made, designed, and not too expensive. It's a real good tool. You could I guess ruin a thin jacket non canalured bullet with one. Probably why Speer says what they do. Use common sense the Factory Crimp die is a good way to go

Boats

1 - 14 of 14 Posts