Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cant beleive it,but a Marlin lover such as myself getting a Winny.I had a very old bench mount metal lathe that I almost never used and a friend wanted it.I traded for the Winny.My friend also has a Marlin 1894 saddle ring carbine in 38-40,but alas he wont let it go.
What I did get was a 1894 rifle with a 26" round barrel,button mag,Lyman #1(I think)tang peep on it in 32 Spl caliber,straightgrip cresent buttstock.I beleive it was made in 1926(serial 985xxx).I just couldnt turn down another levergun. ;D
pic added

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Hey there Levergunz -- Nice score! If your tang sight accepts a threaded insert (eye piece), and looks something like this, it's probably a #2. Best regards. Wind

·
Premium Member
2,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wind said:
Hey there Levergunz -- Nice score! If your tang sight accepts a threaded insert (eye piece), and looks something like this, it's probably a #2. Best regards. Wind
That just may be it then.It does have a threaded insert.No lock or detent on the stem nut.I will post a pic.Thanks Wind

·
Premium Member
2,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Wind,
Question for you.Did you ever pull the stem out of your sight?Mine wont adjust any unless I pull upwards a bit while turning the nut.Was wondering if there should be a spring under the stem to keep some tension on it.

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Hey there again Levergunz -- The Lyman's are fine sights. That was installed back in the day when perfect was about good enough I bet. I've not had any windage issues with the "antique" installs that a bump on the front sight wouldn't correct. The issue I've always had with them is that it's hard to know where you're at, or where you're going with one. Without the elevation "clicks" similar to the Marbles, it's hard to repeat a setting easily. As an auxiliary sight pre-set to say 250 yards, whilst the leaf sight is zeroed at 100, they are a great asset. It will help that sweet old rifle reach out!!

I'm not as familiar with them as I am the Marbles, but I don't believe there is a spring involved. It might just be worn and turning itself off the stem thread down at the bottom. Once you get settled on a yardage setting, you can just leave it there. Best regards. Wind

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Hey there Levergunz -- The issue may be worn parts. Either the sight staff or the worm gear. You see in the picture that the Lyman isn't a screw thread as are the Marbles. I think wear, on the older Lyman's, was much more of a factor. Might not hurt to take it off an squirt some brake cleaner in there and blow it out with some compressed air. It could just be grungy too. Hope this helps. Wind

·
Premium Member
2,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wind,
Thanks for the info.I will clean out the stem hole and put a touch of lube on it.I plan to sight in the leaf for a 100 and maybe the tang for 200 and see how it goes.Next chance I get I will have to try some cast loads.

LG

·
Premium Member
2,764 Posts
Love it, looks like a proper cowboy silhouette rifle to me.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
Most any Win lever rifle with a button mag, is way more desirable than a typical saddle gun. The vintage tang sights just add to the envy factor.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts