Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally pulled a bull tag.....time to load up some 265's and get her sighted in....come on October. ;D ;D

·
Registered
132 Posts
Congrats, hard tag to draw out here..

·
Super Moderator
19,135 Posts
What is the success rate in that area to get a tag?
and do you have a plan of attack :)

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
Ont-hunter said:
I finally pulled a bull tag.....time to load up some 265's and get her sighted in....come on October. ;D ;D
Congrats--where you from--keep us posted as it gets closer.

Steve

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Congratulations on the tag. Take along some strong, young friends to help you deal with the carcass. And post pictures of you success on this site.

I am still buying preference points for a Wyoming resident moose tag. I won't enter the draw until I am reasonably sure I have enough points.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The success rate isn't very good here in northern ontario, there were 70 bull tags available with about 800 applicants and its draw system...so it's the same as winning the lottery....... 8). My game plan is too spend as much time up at my camp and try to locate a couple and keep tabs on them....I have already seen a cow and 2 bulls this summer while riding around on the atv's, so hopefully they stick around, but once the rut starts going things will change.....Tom

·
Super Moderator
19,135 Posts
Very good :) I wasn't sure what kinda strategy would work on moose. I got to stalk one with a camera... Saw her in open ground parked car out of sight and crossed the road to see how close I could get. I was 300+ yards away from her partly hide by trees but she changed the plan and ran for me. I think she knew I had stopped and imagine I was near her calf.
So I was wondering if you were to be the pursuer or persue e ;D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm going to try my best at calling this year...we've called moose right up to the camp during the rut but they don't stick around long and we've never had a tag when one shows up.....and if that doesn't work I'll have to put the boots on and go look for one.......

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Congratulations, can't wait to see what you get. 8) 8) 8)

·
Super Moderator
19,135 Posts
:) I to hope you the best hunt ever. Now don't let us down Make video and take pictures. Get the bull of the woods :)

·
Registered
385 Posts
For me in Southern AB it takes me 4 years to draw a Moose tag,To be Honest I find Moose Harder to hunt than Elk, I think of them as big, Okay huge White Tails. Crafty big old bulls give a real challange.
Just make sure you can get a Truck to it or have some good pack Horses lol, that makes the hunt so much more fun and easy on the back!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If it ain't on the side of the road I ain't shooting it.......honestly though we have a standing agreement among ourselves if we can't get an atv to it without having to make our own road we don't shoot it..... ;D

·
Super Moderator
15,874 Posts
Ont-hunter said:
The success rate isn't very good here in northern ontario, there were 70 bull tags available with about 800 applicants and its draw system...so it's the same as winning the lottery....... 8). My game plan is too spend as much time up at my camp and try to locate a couple and keep tabs on them....I have already seen a cow and 2 bulls this summer while riding around on the atv's, so hopefully they stick around, but once the rut starts going things will change.....Tom
When do Moose rut; in September as Elk do?

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Dawei, I think its from mid to late September to mid to late October, usually.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The bulls should be coming out of velvet within the next couple of weeks and by the middle of Sept they will be putting the miles on looking for cows. The rut usually starts to wind down here by the 3rd week of oct...but where I hunt the season goes from Oct,8 to Nov, 15th so i've got some time to hunt for one....I will take lots of pictures.....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts