Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do I do?

I got a nice older 336 in .30-30 a couple of years back. Great shooting rifle, looks good and feels great. Love my Marlin. I've only taken 1 deer with it so far.

Last spring I picked up a Marlin 336 in .35 Remington. It was manufactured in 1951. I'm the 3rd owner and it came with a rich history and some great stories.

I shot my first black bear this past Labor Day with the .35. I even carried it for elk on one day.

Man, I love that .35 and the .30-30.

I guess that I like the 200 grain Core-Lokts just a little more than the 170 grain Silver Points.

If I only use the .35, the .30-30 is gonna sulk in the safe, and vice versa.

I care about each one so much.

Oh what to do, what to do?

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Hog King said:
Looks to me like you know what to do, 'cause you've already taken the first step -- start a collection! :)

·
Administrator
23,793 Posts
Actually, It's quite simple. One for a down to earth hunting rifle, and one for a all out target getter. Though both will do either, take that 30-30 or the 35 and make it a single purpose weapon. Get a batch of cast bullets for either or both and then pick which one after load developement, set each up with the exact same sights, then practice with the one you are not going to take hunting with the cast loads. I do have the same dilemma as you fortunate that I do have one other alternative. When I go, my plan is to make sure they get separate homes and will be like an only child. Mean time they all get some use when I go out to practice. Most of them get jealous because of the model 39 I picked up in a tag sale, it was rusty and still bears the scars, it had a broken rear sight and a bad bead on front, it now sports primative muzzle loader filed in sights and is the happiest gun in my cabinet, with a bunch of dearly departed gophers for enemies.

·
Registered
95 Posts
The rule is you always buy, never sell. I sold one gun many years ago and have regretted it every since. Now I just add to the collection.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Hog King said:
What do I do?

Man, I love that .35 and the .30-30.

I care about each one so much.

Sounds like a question for ANNABELLE! :wink:

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
I come from a background rich in practicality. I recognize this trait on your inability to recognize a coming weakness. Honestly, I asked myself the same question when I bought my second Marlin. I now have 11 Marlins (I think), and about 24 other guns. I now recognize I am in the midst of a regular mid-life crisis, and this is as constructive as I care to be. I have 1 30-30 for cast, 1 45-70 for cast and 1 30-30 for jacketed, 1 45-70 jacketed and so on. I have one 35 short range, and 1 longer range and on and on. I am very ill, and I admit it. Getting the next Marlin in seems to finish me off for a month or two... :roll:

Honestly, even my wife seems fairly happy that I have a hobby besides work, and I can't think of a more effective way of relieving stress than going out and shooting every week. I reload and cast and enjoy every minute of it. I also have a 5 year old son I share it with, and he is enjoying it as much as I do.

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Having a gun sulk in the safe is a bad thing. I believe the guys have given you some very sound advice, you need to get a couple more Marlins to keep each other company while the other is out shooting or hunting. I would suggest either starting with a 444 or 45-70, or then again you could try to find a 336CB in 38/55, but then again maby a 1894 in 357 mag or 44 mag, not to leave out 45LC...oh man I would hate to be you...what a delima :lol: :wink:

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Take both hunting just in case of a problem and use one one day and one the next. They will both be happy :D :D :D

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the kind thoughts and advice! Sorry Tubby....I'm not going to give you one of my Marlins, but I do appreciate your willingness to help me with my dilemma!

You know, I have been toying with the idea of getting another Marlin, one in .45-70! THen I really wouldn't know what to do!

To make matters worse, I ran across a JC Higgins in .35 rem that was made by Marlin and is a model 336. It's in kinda rough shape on the outside but has a heart of gold!

I shoulda started this affliction years ago!

Maybe Annabelle has the answers?

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Hog King, welcome to therapy!

I have a wonderful 336A DL in 30-30 and a 336 in 35 Rem. Both are great shooters. To make matters worse I have a tack driving '06 with a 4X Leupold and a 35 Whelen with a Weaver K2.5. (AND assorted pistols, shotguns, .22's, etc.)

Now, you tell me: Which should I take after mule deer? Antelope? Elk? Whitetails? :(

I only have one dog and he whines every time I leave without him. If guns could whine, my wife would shoot me with one of them. :shock: She already threatens to shoot me over the (one) whining dog. :wink:

The solution is "The Range." Shoot year 'round, and shoot them all. Then when you go hunting, just act like it's a trip to the range. Maybe the rifles you don't take hunting will never catch on. :?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts