Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
*** THANKS TO - RETIREDSQUID , - BILL CONRAD , - LEANWOLF , - AND OTHERS FOR INFO . on this . ***

M1894FG , .41 Mag. --- Sent it back , under warranty on Oct. 22 , U.S. Parcel Post Priority Mail . -- Received it back, UPS-Ground , on Nov. 4th ! --- Thirteen (13) days elapsed time . --- That's pretty good , considering Hunting Season and all .

The requested repairs were fairly extensive . -- A minor , but obvious , inletting mistake , ( missed the metal level on the reciever-frame , next to the tang , by about 1/16 " -- and with a crack running down the tang about an inch . --- THEY REPLACED THE ENTIRE BUTTSTOCK . --- Inletting now looks good , commensurate with three other Marlins I've owened over the years .

-- I even got a better lookin' piece of wood in the buttstock -- nice plane-sawed figure . --- Damn , I like American Walnut !

To solve the Feeding Problem they : --- 1) - NEW CARRIER , --- 2) - ADJUSTED THE EXTRACTOR , ---
3) - POLISHED THE CHAMBER .

I take it from this , that the feeding problems in the M1894FG , ( judging from posts in this Forum , and others ) - can be remedied by the ( above ) actions -- ??

Anyway , the critter feeds good now .

----------- Nose To The Trail , -------- MMCOUGAR .

G

·
That sounds great. It's a shame you had to go through the trouble though. I hope Marlin was embarrassed enough to make sure that doesn't happen again. Your rifle should let them see what's getting out into stock. Luck BM

Bill

·
Registered
153 Posts
MMC,
Glad to learn all went well. :D I knew they would make things right. I do hope you got reimbursed for shipping, as they did for me on my 1894FG.

Speaking of 1894FGs, mine scored a nice small buck on Saturday afternoon. A single shot with one of my handloads resulted in a hit like a sledge hammer to the skull. He dropped without taking a single step. The shot was to the neck. The round: New Starline brass, Nosler 210JHP in front of 22.0 grains of H110 and a Winchester WLP primer.
Regards,
Rich

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Reply : RETIREDSQUID ***

YES :!: -- MARLIN PAID FULL SHIPPING ,
-- BOTH WAYS . -- THANKS FOR THE TIP :!:

RE : -- Your earlier Post ( back in Oct . ) -- I too am a Fully Committed .41 fan from way back . --- Have A Mod. 57 - 4" , a R. Blackhawk - 4 5/8 " with a special Stainless " Dragoon Style " Butt-frame ( Offered by Ruger at one point ) . -- A Contender .41 , with three Barrels , -- ( one is a special 11 " Metaloyed / MagnaPorted / Scoped , hunting gun , with the chamber extended 1/8 " -- so's I can crimp into the first lube ring on some styles of Bullets , thus making room for more slow burning powder ; -- set up by J.D. Jones of SSK . -- With the use of a Channelure tool , I can seat Jacketed bullets up to 1/8 " farther out as well . ( kind of a magnamized Magnum ) .

And now the " FG " .

Despite my approval of the FG's feeding upon return from the Factory , -- I want to be able to feed Beartooth's 280 Gr. LBT . -- Made up some dummies of these , and it would NOT feed ! -- But , no worries , - because The 280 Gr . , I'm quite sure , is longer than SSAMI , at about 1.71 "
OAL ,(??) . -- Will have Brockman do a further Feeding Job , and chop to 16 1/2 " . ( I want a 5 1/2 lb. Carbine for backpack , and real fast handling -- but with enough clout to be better than a sharp stick , -- for possible Bear Defense ) . -- The 280 Gr . , by all reports is very potent on large game .

-- (Fear Not , if I'm fishing in High-Pop. Bear areas , I'll carry a heavier rifle ) .

INCIDENTLY , - RETIREDSQUID - DIDN'T YOU USED TO POST ON THE OLD MARLIN FORUM ?? -- Seems to me we were both involved in some interesting stuff ??

Highest Regards , -------------- MMCOUGAR .

·
Registered
153 Posts
MMC,
It does not surprise me that OAL would be an issue with the heavy slugs in the FG. I'm pleased with the service from the 210s and do not need anything heavier in my neck of the Ozarks.

Glad everything went so well for you, too. It's just a shame that so many of us had to ship our FG's back to Marlin. It certainly would have saved them a lot of money and good will if they had done them up right in the first place. Maybe they learned a lesson here.

Yes, I post in any forum that I am a member of as retiredsquid. Mostly I post on shootersville.net, smith&wesson forum, ruger forum, here, ar15.com, and a few others. I am mainly found at shootersville.net, though.
Regards,
Rich

1 - 5 of 5 Posts