Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Bill Sr 925.JPG Kind of cool story here, try to keep it short. Worked a paper route in 1977 to buy my first hunting rifle in 1978 at age 13. It was a 1950 336A 35 rem. G serial # excellent condition gave $85 for it to an old fellow in our neighborhood. Shot my first deer with it in 78 a five point in Hopwood, Pa at uncles camp. I was so proud of that rifle. Got to partying in teenage years and needed $ for beer party so I sold it for $75 dumbest thing ever did have always regretted. The fellow I sold it to and I have kept in touch over the years though never asked about the rifle again didn't want to think about it. He called last week and asked me to stop by on Sunday only lives about an hour away so I did. Started talkin about the good old days when he left the room and came back in with the rifle and handed it to me and said I want you to have this. Just about floored me, didn't know what to say thought he was kidding. He wasn't and also gave me 160 loaded rounds and a set of dies with it. Looks as good as it did when I gave it to him, said never hunted with it just shot a few rounds out of it over the years obviously took very good care of it. It's funny cause over the years I have had just about every magnum caliber I could get my hands on for the deer season until about 5 years ago started to carry Winchester 94 trapper with irons on it for deer. Shot my biggest deer a 10 point 2 years ago so the old 336A will fit right in. Will probably use it for the remainder of my hunts from now on. Can't wait for 2014 deer season now. Old guns and old friends you can't hardly find good ones anymore. I will try to post photo later but never tried before, not very tech savvy will give it a go though.( SEE MORE PICS IN POST# 31)

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Glad to hear you have your very first rifle back.... and a 1950 336A to boot, I just picked up one myself... Same year

Doc

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
Great story.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
grizzer, Thanks for the great story, life does take strange turns. Welcome to the MO Family, from here in west central Mo. Take care and keep us in the loop on your Marlin, John.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
There is nothing on this earth like a good and true friend and your buddy is surely one.

Welcome to MO

·
Registered
682 Posts
That is a great feel good story for sure! Congrats on getting your old rifle back!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Great story ! Sounds like a great friend and a great rifle.

Time to post a few photos!

B

·
Registered
330 Posts
That's what hunting and memories are all about. Great friend - probably had some minor guilts over the years figuring he was part of a "bad choice". Count yourself lucky ( I am sure you do) that you sold it to such a good guy and not a stranger.

We want pictures posted when you get that deer with it this year - you have 6 months to learn how.......

Great story

·
Premium Member
15,420 Posts
Great story
Always good to hear an honest story with a good ending
Congrats

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Great story and a great friend. Can't wait to see pictures.

Mop

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Welcome from Indiana! Great story! Great Friend!

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
That's one heck of a friend you have there!! Congrats on getting your rifle back, great story!!

·
Administrator
23,798 Posts
Now to plan it's next journey, for the next few years make some memories and make sure you shoot it a bunch more.

Something you should think about for an old friend that came back to you.

·
Registered
11,600 Posts
That's a great story, and sounds like a good guy to do that too. It was meant to be...
Gotta' love those .35 rems... :biggrin:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Great story!!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Swany it will be in my hands for however many more hunting seasons I am blessed with and won't leave home again until it's time for my 2 year old grandson to start looking after it! God is good!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts