Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my brass, got the bullets, got the dies, plenty of powder and primers, now all I need is the rifle. Sent my 1893 shot out 30-30 off to JES Rebore to be magically transformed to a 38-55 less than 10 days ago and Jesse had it done in just a few days.

Then on Wednesday last week found out some idiot in my financial department forgot to include the money order with the rifle... Oh wait that was me. Hopefully the check got there yesterday or today. Can't believe I did that. #%&$*(@#&!!!. :-\

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I always hate it when the idiot turns out to be me ;D. On the bright side, the wait will be worth it. I have really enjoyed my re-bore and took a buck with it this season. JES turns out an accurate barrel. Just love those old calibers. Be sure to post pictures and targets as you work her up.

·
Administrator
23,793 Posts
Nice having an oldie transformed into a good shooter again.

·
Premium Member
18,033 Posts
Three or four years after I started looking I still haven't found a donor rifle for a 38/55 rebore. I might just call up Jess's brother and see if he can hunt one down to re-bore. Does he offer Cowboys, maybe? That would be SO sweet!

Take the idiot in your financial department out for a beer to show you forgive him. We're all human. ;)

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the kind words. I'll post a few pics when I get it back but just a warning, its a pretty rough rifle, both wood and metal a bit beat up but the mechanics are good and should shoot fine.

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
Hunter - I'm a bit late, but welcome to the MO web site. I use a mild load for a 38-55 that might work for you, or at least be a starting point. 21.0 grains of IMR 4198 under a 245 grain cast bullet, size 379, in W-W brass and primers. I am awaiting the verdict of the income tax reaper to see if I can affford to send off my 1947 model 36 30-30 to be rebore into a 38-55 also.
Hope to see pictures and a range report when the weather permits.
Shenandoah

·
Registered
107 Posts
Well, I got my .38-55 the normal way; I bought a brand new 336CB. Question on JES Rebore: How good is his work? I may use him for a .35 Krag project I have in mind.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is my first rebore from JES so I cannot speak from experience but he is well known on this forum. I did a search on his name here and got a lot of results, all positive. I can say he is MUCH more inexpensive and MUCH quicker than any other gunsmiths I found offering a reboring service.

·
Premium Member
18,033 Posts
plain old dave said:
Question on JES Rebore: How good is his work? I may use him for a .35 Krag project I have in mind.
I'd have no qualms about buying anything he worked on. I rarely go on Gunbroker, but Wyhat Ocumpaugh (sp?) had a 38/55 rebore for sale there last night they wanted $425 for, and if I'd had the money it would be on its way to my humble abode right about now. :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
I can't say enough good about the workmanship, price and the turn around time from JES.
What I can't tell you much about yet is the accuracy. I haven't had much time to test loads or bullets.
My first ten shots are posted in another thread here. Good luck with your new rifle.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
I have heard nothing but good about his work. Having something done by him is always in the back of my mind.

·
Premium Member
13,658 Posts
Okay, I haven't been hyphenated yet (except my 45-70) however after looking this cartridge up (because of this and many other threads) I'm becoming more & more interested. Especially the re-bore potential.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Works for me; the only thing I will have to ask about is it looks like he makes his bores .001 oversize; fine for boolits, but not so much for jacketed stuff; the .35 Krag is to be a large (and possibly dangerous) game rifle.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Jesse at JES told me he shipped my rifle and I should have it by Thursday or Friday. That means a date at the range Saturday or Sunday weather permitting. Its been sunny but high winds this week in the Sacramento area. Keep my fingers crossed.

Pics and range report to follow.

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
1895Gunnerif you have atleast one hyponated gun you ARE hyponated! ;D I'd love to know wha tbullet that is in those 3 rounds???

T-o-m who may be hyper hyponated

1895Gunner said:
Okay, I haven't been hyphenated yet (except my 45-70) however after looking this cartridge up (because of this and many other threads) I'm becoming more & more interested. Especially the re-bore potential.

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
Please keep us informed as to how it turned out. I am also considering reboring a 30-30 Texan to 38-55. I have heard nothing but good stuff about JES's work. I have a 30-30 and a 45-70 so I guess I need something in between those two :), Lonnie.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Good morning
You will not regret having a caliber 38 lever rifle with you. Only problem is they tend to sink deep roots and soon you will begin having fits about why not having another.
I would hunt any critter on our side of our world with a 38-55 if it was all I had. It has been done many times. Elephants were culled by the hundreds with lesser calibers BUT by professionals who did not miss. But as most of us have a caliber 40 some nearby we will not have to face that situation.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts