Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to use my Marlin 1895 in .450 Marlin. The good news is I have some time to practice a bunch this summer! :biggrin:

Looking to use the 350gr RD bullet. I have a load I tried last weekend and it shoot good (30gr of SR4759) and the speed is right (1700fps). It's plenty accurate. I put 5 inside of 1.5" at 50 yards off a horrible rest (shooting off a padded ammo can on a table). The area where I hunt rarely presents a shot over 100 yards, as fairly heavily wooded areas dominate my hunting unit. 1700fps makes this gun a 150-175 yard elk gun and I don't want to beat myself up with the recoil of full power loads (AKA: flinching).

:questionmark: My question is: Would you guys bother with casting up a soft nose bullet or just shoot with normal (harder) alloy that runs around 16-18 BHN?

Has anyone shot a cow elk with something close to this bullet/combo and can you report as to what I should expect?

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
I have no elk hunting tips, but I shot a whitetail doe last year with a 240 gr tcfp cast at 18 BHN. Flew right through her. Double lung, dead in 25 yards or a little less. She weighed about 120-130 pounds. So I think the 18 is plenty hard for getting inside an elks engine room. I think they have a lot thicker hide than a whitetail. Good luck on your hunt. What state do you hunt in?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What state do you hunt in?
Hi Dan the Man thanks for the response.

I hunt near Happy Jack, AZ. It's about halfway in between Flagstaff and Strawberry. Unit 5B south. I've been fortunate enough to take 5 elk out of that unit. It's the only unit I'll put in for elk because I know a few good spots. :D

In AZ, elk tags are hard to come by (about every 4-8 years is the norm for getting drawn for good units).

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
bhn
Well I have a 450Mxlr but my last elk was with my 444 and a 290 grain BTB at 21bhn pass thru both shoulders and DRT
Next month nice Buck same bullet same result. He is in my Signature.
Marshalls bullets need one say more:marchmellow:

·
Registered
242 Posts
Hmm we don't learn our preference draw until next month

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Ole,

Have taken 2 elk with 465gr Wide Flat Nose (WFN) cast at 1650fps and along with the deer taken with the same load, find that I am very impressed.

Both critters were at about 100yds.

Hard to believe, but did find one bullet which made a long quartering journey before stopping. Never expected to find one of those bullets!

I think with the 350gr bullet your wise to stay wit your 1700fps velocity. I took one deer with a 355gr WFN at a muzzle velocity of just over 2300fps and the hole was HUGE!!!!! Way to much velocity unless meat loss is not a concern for you. It is for me.

Just applied for an Ideeeeho cow moose permit. Already have my once in a life time bull, but would sure like to put my 45/70 up against a moose, or maybe even my .44 with a 310gr WFN at 1300fps :biggrin: :biggrin:.

Good luck!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
11,599 Posts
Congrats on your tag! I was drawn this year too for cow Elk in Oct., and will be next door in Unit 5A with my 444P. Let's hope it a good year for Marlins, ha! Can't help with your question, but wanted to wish good luck to you.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
WOW, you guys draw early!

Here in Ideeeeho, Moose, goats and bighorns have an application period of April and the other application periods for special tag draws are later.

If you apply for a moose, haven't checked on the goats and Bighorns, you then can't apply for some other hunts.

I think that keeps the numbers down a bit for these tags.

GOOD LUCK GUYS, elk is Really Good Eat'in!!!!!!!!!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
Some folks here in PA enter the Elk Tag drawing for years and years and never get one. It sucks, But then, I never really checked to find out approx. how many Elk the Game Commission believes we have in PA. A large Elk would provide a whole lot of meat for the freezer of the lucky hunters that get a tag.

Cheers!

Mike T.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK so I went in a different direction.

Today I made up 17 rounds with various hollow points. The alloy is 20:1, so these should work nicely but only testing will tell:

The two on the left have a very shallow 1/4" std drill bit hole. The 3 in the second row have a fairly substantial hole with that same bit. The ones on the right use a countersink bit that I've had luck with in the past.

Here's a close up to show hollow point details from the different bits:

Now I need to talk my friend with the ballistics gel into molding up some big blocks to catch these big honkers. :D

·
Registered
953 Posts
I wouldn't use hollow points for elk. I would keep them as solid as possible. You are already starting out with a 45 caliber bullet. You need penetration, not expansion.

Key

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Ole,

Just this Ol'Coot opinion, but I'd much rather lay odds with the constant results of a good Wide Flat Nose cast bullet then attempt to use a Hollow point where the performance is reliant to a very large degree on matching the alloy to the velocity/distance.

With the cast WFN, the results are consistent and awesome.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
The ranch dog 350 does not need to have a hollow point or a soft point. A water dropped wheel weight with a max/most accurate load of reloder 7 will work. Email Mike at ranch dog as he has shot some large big game with that bullet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts