Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
8,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to Walmart in Melbourne,Fl last Sun to look for ammo.It's come back pretty good.They had everything ,but 22LR.I looked at a new Remlin 336C 30 30 on sale for $350.Anyway,I had an employee discount card(girlfriend works there) .The discount made it $335 + $5 background check and tax.This one looked good and although it did not feel like my 80's 336 Marlin,it felt ok.Figured for that price I can shoot it awhile,then sell it without losing much.SO,I got it. I proceed to go home and get my 80's Marlin 336 ,ammo and a case for the Remlin and head to the Port Malibar gun club's 50 yrd range to try it out.Shot very well! Very accurate out the box!Not as smooth as my 80's Marlin 336, but what the hell?It's not a true Marlin anyway.I had fun time! Today after work I met a buddy and headed to the gun club.He wanted to try the Remlin.We load it up,and the lever locked!I laughed and said:good thing I got" oil' reliable!!(my true Marlin). After inspection I found that the Remlin was missing a screw on the receiver.Found it in the carry case.It musta been loose(like the one in my head for purchasing it!)after shooting Sunday. Anyway ,I screwed it back in and it shoots again.Not really disappointed in the gun,just in myself for not putting $335 towards another used true Marlin. Got home ,cleaned it and made sure all screws were tight. I may still play with the Remlin for a while,because it shoots well.But,I'll probably sell it eventually.Can't ever trust it like I do a true Marlin.

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
Welcome to the forum, you might get lucky. Take some time and work with it.

·
Registered
8,306 Posts
Welcome from the Republic of Texas...

Reactions: Boobarzo

·
Premium Member
12,166 Posts
I think it is like anything else and not as bad in most cases as what is put in writing. The same old story the happy people don't post it is going to be the ones that got the bad one. I have look at some in a few places to to see what they looked like and the wood and overall appearance looked fine. I didn't buy any because I don't need one. Enjoy it you can't go wrong for the price you paid.

·
Banned
8,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks!Who knows?I may get lucky with it in the long run.After it breaks in.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Welcome from NE Indiana.

·
Premium Member
9,845 Posts
Welcome from Goldthwaite, TX! Thanks for joining us! John

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Hello and Welcome to Marlin Owners from the State of South Dakota
Welcome Aboard, Enjoy the Journey
444GS2

·
Premium Member
6,516 Posts
Hello and Welcome to Marlinowners from Pennsylvania!

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
I wouldn't buy a firearm from Walmart.

Mike T.

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
Hello and welcome to Marlinowners from Louisiana!!!!

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Enjoy the forum........................

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Welcome from Pinellas County. It's getting so we all have to check over anything we buy new , guns, tools and especially vehicles. If the rifle shoots where it looks and the wood to metal fit is good , I think you got some value for the money spent.

·
Premium Member
6,123 Posts
Welcome. I would give you $335. for a NIB Rem.made 336-30 30 all day long. I had one marlin for many years until the 308XLR and then the 338MX and if I didn't have enough I had to come across a 336XLR-35R all 3 were made at Marlin NH, CT. 2 in 2007 1 in 2008 the 308XLR and the 338MX had to go back for warranty service and they weren't $335. at Walmart. To be honest I wish I had the problems were as simple as a loose screw that came out in the gun-case. One more thing there hasn't been a real Marlin in close to a 100 years. The future will only be collectible marlins and if the Marlin design 336, 1894, 1895 are to exist as a USA made rifle Remington and people attitude would have to improve.
Remington has come a long way quicker than peoples attitude has.
T:biggrin: NY
PS I rather have a GMC than a Honda, but that me.

Reactions: Boobarzo

·
Registered
661 Posts
Hello and welcome from the high plains of Colorado. Just keep working with that new Marlin, it'll grow on you.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Hello Boobarzo, and Welcome to the Marlin Owners Forum, from the state of Louisiana!!!

Team 45-70 #1214
cajunjohn

"This is America," "Everyone's got a bone to pick."

·
Registered
11,599 Posts
Welcome aboard! Enjoy your new rifle, and that sounds like you did good on the price to me...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts