Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a "Lemon"

Hello all,

This is my first post, and I hope it's not bad form to start out negative....but I felt like I needed to run this past some folks with experience. This past Thursday I picked up a brand-new 336SS that I'd special ordered. I'll start by saying that I'm feeling seriously stupid for not having noticed these issues in the store. Frankly, I've spent the past couple of days beating myself up over it....but I was excited to get the gun, and for that reason the pre-purchase examination was more cursory than it should have been (and, in my defense, not in the best lighting conditions). Also, at the time I wasn't aware of Marlin's recent quality control issues, so I sort of assumed I'd be getting something "cherry."

Anyway....I'll let the photos speak for themselves. My two biggest concerns are the cracked forearm (looks like someone clamped it in a vise) and the marred stock. The damaged screw in the top of the receiver....the crooked front sight....the notch in the barrel next to the "REP" stamp...all that I could probably live with if necessary (though I don't think I should have to in a $565 rifle). There's also a nickle-sized area of light scratching on the left side of the receiver, and a small pit in the right side of the forearm (not pictured--ran out of photo slots).

In addition to the cosmetic issues, the action seems kind of balky--though I don't have an immediate reference for comparison. Seems to hang up a little bit at a couple of spots, unless you're using a pretty good amount of force. I have not loaded or fired the gun. To my knowledge it had never been out of the box prior to my picking it up...and it's never been out of my house since.

Obviously, I'm going to contact Marlin and try to get this put right. With that in mind, what would you suggest? Should I try to get them to pay return shipping? Should I accept a repaired gun--or given these issues should I press for a new one? If I end up with a new one, am I likely to see the same kinds of issues? Are they good about dealing with problems like this, or am I gonna get the run-around?

Appreciate any thoughts you have. My dad has a 1950s-vintage 336 that is absolutely perfect (he's had it since high school), and I've always wanted one. Obviously, this isn't quite what I'd hoped for...

Thank you

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Re: Got a "Lemon"

I've read a lot of gripes and complaints about things like that and always took the writing with a grain of salt. But those photos show faults that should NEVER be on a new product right from the factory. You have left no doubt that your complaints are well founded. Somebody from Marlin/Remington should be forced to take accountability for that rifle and you should settle for nothing less that full replacement. Wow. That's horrendous.

·
Premium Member
2,730 Posts

I would take copies of those photos, have them enlarged to 8 x 10 ", and then send them to the President/CEO of Remington/Marlin. I would enclose a letter that I expected a quality replacement with in 30 days of the rifles return to Remington (with them paying for shipping and all expenses). If the replacement is refused or delayed for any reason, tell Remington/Marlin that copies of these photos were going to every Gun Magazine you know of and on a CD so it can be easily copied and published in their next edition. :mad: I would also point out that you were going to reference the gun magazines to the MO forum to review the rants and dissatisfaction shown on the recent Quality of workmanship and QA of Marlin products following the merger with Remington. Note that I say Remington/Marlin when I talk about the manufacturer; this would never of happened under the old New Haven "Marlin"! :'(

CJ

·
Banned
430 Posts

Sir,

I would push for my money back. They don't have anyone qualified to make your Marlin right. You'll never be happy with it especially if you compare it to your Dad's.

I think they have machined some part inside wrong for sure. I bet if you add a little "right" pressure to the lever as it closes it hangs up.

I've handled about forty of the new ones every one was bad. Yours ain't a lemon, its the norm.

Darn shame.

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts

First, welcome to Marlin Owners forums.
I'd sent it back & expect to do it on their dime.

Reactions: 336 Fan

·
Registered
2,168 Posts

Sorry you've had a bad experience with your new gun, as I know what has happened to you has been very frustrating and disappointing; but thanks for posting your pics, as maybe those who criticized my posted comments about Remlin quality personally observed on 3 Marlin levers marked 336C earlier this week will now be forced to admit that my comments were actual observations and not "whining". But if your gun cycles like the examples I handled, I'd be more concerned about what you can't observe on the inside of the gun than what I can see in the outside finishes. Stands to reason that, if Remington is unabashedly allowing flaws and blemishes such as those you illustrate to be seen on the OUTSIDE of these Marlins; then what in Heaven's name is passing muster with the critical INTERNALS of these guns? The actions of the three examples I checked were so rough that heavy pressure was required to force the breech bolts to open and close; and the noise made in the process was as if the action was full of gritty dirt. Why keep this gun and deal with all the heartburn and hassle you'll be forced to deal with while you piss around with Remington's service department, which we have heard is already back logged, waiting for the thing to be properly repaired; and then when it does eventually come back to you, always wonder if you can really have faith and confidence in the repairs done? If there is anyway you can return that gun; I suggest you do so and find something else you will be happy with.

·
Registered
5 Posts

I fully agree with @rachethead, the gun should be returned to the place you have purchased it from and insist on a refund.

Let the store worry about returning that piece of junk to the manufacturer. The lack of quality control or lack of concern that any manufacturer could release such a weapon to the public for sale blows my mind.

I recently picked up a used 336XLR in 30-30 that has a build date of 2006 and the gun is flawless. One should expect no less on a new weapon.

Go back and fight it out with the dealer and based on the screw ups of this weapon, don't except that he'll want to ship it back to Marlin for repairs as it's too flawed and you will never feel comfortable with this weapon. In addition, there is no way the dealer should have placed that weapon on the shelf and tried to sell that in good conscience as a new weapon.

·
Premium Member
227 Posts

unacceptable, no matter the price. It's brand new for crying out loud. 2 of the pics of woodwork aren't that big of a deal. But the cracks, marred screws, sight is unacceptable. Don't just threaten to expose them, DO IT.

·
Registered
649 Posts

wow... :eek:

I'd be taking it straight back, and not to the dealer, who will just put it back on the shelf and try to sell it to the next guy. Follow the advice about the 8x10 color blowups sent straight to the top, and demand a full refund or a perfect replacement, although I'm starting to wonder if they even have the capacity right now to make a "perfect" Marlin lever gun.

Again, another confirmation that my "buy used" policy is the right way to go. Sad.

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts

Welcome to the Marlin Owners site from west Texas.
I have to vote along with those advising you to take it back for a refund. Part of the enjoyment of owning and shooting a rifle is having confidence in it's ability to perform. It would take me a long time to become confident a "repaired" gun would work as it should. I would truly hate to miss a nice game animal because my rifle decided to quit.
For the money you paid there are still good examples of Marlin's rifles out there. I would take my money and begin my search anew. Shenandoah

·
Premium Member
454 Posts

Send pictures to the head cheese. Ask for your money back. Then either wait for em to figure out how to build a marlin or go get a good used one. A darn shame it is. Why cant remington put enough effort out to build a nice marlin. How could they let multiple rifles out like this?

·
Registered
787 Posts

Man, that is just awful. I'd follow the suggestions stated above. And, yes, those pics would go to the head shed, immediately.

Mad Dog

·
Premium Member
28,797 Posts

Id get my money back,Let em know what I thought and other people of there workmanship.And go find me a used one that I knew I could count on.I think me and a couple monkeys could assemble a rifle as good.Not knocking your purchase,I feel for ya.But this has become a joke.Gunrunner,,

·
Registered
82 Posts

i agree 100%, get my money back. if the gun has NOT been FIRED then the dealer should not have a problem refunding your money and let him deal with marlington! :mad: imho i have no faith in marlingtons lever guns. i am sorry for your bad experience, i feel your pain.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts

I've been inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt up until now, being new to Marlin with the transition and all.

I've got a situation with a new 1894 myself right now.

But, your rifle is over the hill. There can be no plausible excuse for sending out
workmanship like that!

·
Registered
461 Posts

Wow.....just wow. :'(

·
Registered
19 Posts

http://www.remington.com/pages/our-company/our-company/company-info.aspx

Company Information
Corporate Headquarters

Remington Arms Company, Inc.
870 Remington Drive
P.O. Box 700
Madison, NC 27025-0700 TEL: 1-800-243-9700
Fax: 1-336-548-7801
Email Us / Online Help Center
Directions & Map

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Site Locations

Ilion Firearms Plant & Custom Shop
14 Hoefler Avenue
Ilion, NY 13357
TEL: 1-315-895-3200
Directions & Map Ammunition & Components Plant
2592 Arkansas Hwy 15 N
Lonoke, AR 72086
TEL: 1-501-676-3161
Directions & Map

Mayfield Firearms Plant
22 Rifle Trail
PO Box 99
Hickory, KY 42051
TEL: 1-270-856-4200 Technical Center
315 W. Ring Road
Elizabethtown, KY 42701

·
Banned
71 Posts

I would NOT count on a dealer that was willing to let THAT piece of crap out the door taking it back.

If it was never even opened, when I was doing the paperwork on it, I always need to take the serial off the gun as all do.......... at that point if *I* saw that as the seller........... that would NEVER have left the store....

That aside... I think Remington should either take this piece of crap back and replace it with something else, and even if they agree to that........

make those pictures and this website known to all that are into these.... Make a video and make it go viral on you tube........... I'll help ya spread it if you do. Title the video MARLIN REMINGTON LEVER ACTION COWBOY SHOOTING so anyone searching any of those words finds it.

This is what trying to get a gun out every 120 seconds does...

ridiculous and you should not have had to deal with this.

Send a link to this site, and another to this thread to whoever's email you can get in "corporate" also. Send THIS link along to them also.... yours is not the only one with buggered screws and split wood.
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=382033

1 - 20 of 30 Posts