Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got a hog with my 450. He was at about 30 yards. He was quartering towards me a bit and the first shot hit him broadside right behind the front shoulder in the lower chest cavity. He didnt even flinch when I hit him. He was dead, he just didnt know it yet. The second shot went into the back of the skull right behind the jaw and came out the other side right under the eye. Dropped like a sack of potatos. My first shot destroyed one lung and nicked his heart but it didnt even slow him down one bit. Big boars are so tuff its unbelieveable. Nothing like a head shot to bring down a big boar. I was hunting with my friends dad I think he was more excited than me. It happened in slow motion. I thought a 450 to the chest would take a big boar down no problem, it just goes to show you how tuff pigs can be. It was a really good hunt.

Scott

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Fantastic

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
Goodonya Scott, fanbloodytastic.
When you calm down you can post the pics. ;D

Cheers,
Mark.

P.S. Did ya feel any recoil?

·
Registered
20,291 Posts
Congrats!

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
Great rush eh Scott? ;D I have a great friend who keeps trying to anchor a hawg by shooting shoulder shots etc when he knows I only take neck shots and his ALWAYS run off and mine drop. I kid him all the time about it and he might finally be coming around. ::) He just thinks his .450M should do the trick and his macho comes out. ;D ;D

Pics are nice.

Dave 8)

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Attaboy, Scott. What bullet/load were you using...or was that discussion in a previous thread I missed?

·
Premium Member
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
P.S. Did ya feel any recoil?
[/quote]

Its funny when I'm shooting something I never feel or notice any recoil. Only notice it at the range. Funny how that works.

Scott

·
Premium Member
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The load was a 300 grain Barnes TSX loaded over some 4198 at about 2000 fps from my guide gun. Having a hard time with trying to reduse my picture size to load them up.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Excellent! Good story as well. Its good to hear hunting experiences.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Great story. Shoot them all. Darn pigs just cost me $400 to resod my front yard. Tore my yard and 3 other meighbors to shreads

·
Premium Member
4,401 Posts
Way to go!!!!!!!! reflex264

·
Premium Member
2,575 Posts
Scott,

Even without pix how about telling us how big he was and what he weighed?

John

·
Premium Member
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
drjjpdc said:
Scott,

Even without pix how about telling us how big he was and what he weighed?

John
He was right about 200 pounds and had almost 2 inch tusks. The first shot went right into his lower rib cage right behind the shoulder. Got one lung and grazed his heart. I hit him on the run and the first shot didnt even make him flinch. Second shot right behind the ear, good night thanks for playing. Dropped him right in his tracks.

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
He's a beauty Scott. :)

Mark.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts