Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looks like I ve got a cracked barrel @ the dovetail mid barrel (fore stock mount) , the crack is cross grain and the length of the dove tail (metal must be pretty thin there ) , think it may have happened years ago by prying on fore stock....oh its got the microgroove.. but I'm not particular
SO need to find a barrel and a bit a advise on getting the old one , somehow a pipe wrench  don't seem the tool of choice ..?     any ideas on finding a barrel and changing it when I do ?  Jerr

·
Banned
2,262 Posts

·
Administrator
23,826 Posts
Might place a wanted ad in our trading post. That used bbl is not a bad deal. But there is a reason it's not on the original gun.

·
Administrator
23,826 Posts
One other option is to have a liner put in it. Though I would seriously consider having a new bbl put on by a competent gun smith.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I pick up the eBay barrel , also talked to Marlin and they said the gun is over 30 years But if I could get them to do it new barrel would be about 100 -200 $ so I well try the eBay barrel first thanks Jerr

·
Administrator
23,826 Posts
Lot of bbls get pulled and tossed because of inaccuracy. Most .44s don't like bullets lighter than 240gns. Most don't like cast under .431 dia.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ouch ! my bullet mold is a 200 grain rpfn nice and light ,for cowboy action ,you know rifle targets are like 50 feet , swany : luv ya brother but youre killen me, its got to be more accurate than a barrel with a cross grain crack and 200 grain ,please say yes ....Jerr .... oh you know my bullet sizer is 430 not 431 :)

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Cowboy action... Well maybe you should consider changing over to a 45 Colt barrel. Just a posibility you may not have thought of...

-Bob

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
they say you never stop learning , but the older I get the more the hard lessons bother me , I just never realized that there was so much to know about reloading and bullets and lead alloy and guns in general ...I haven't reloaded ONE complete cartridge yet and it seems like my head is spinning , I guess that's part of the fun :shot: thanks again Jerr

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
UPDATE , could not get the barrel loose and feared warping the receiver sooo its in new haven ,NY ...praying they put a new octagon barrel (as requested) but A BALLARD of ether will work ...The how much part still to come , I do know that IF they will work on it (its older than they except ) the round would be just over 100+ & the octo. ,if avalibile would be 150 + and then the labor , but in the long run it well be worth-it to ME... jerr

·
Super Moderator
9,347 Posts
You gotta be kidding. All reports I've heard is they don't do work like that anymore. This could be good news.

·
Administrator
23,826 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.