Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Came across a Win. 1892 357 magnum. ($650)
Should i grab this beauty up? Im sure my wife will be beating me over the head if i show up with it, but especially right now it's hard to pass up.
I believe that is a good deal. Is there certain things with this particular gun i need to look out for?
Problems they typically have? Certain years have bad quality control?
And the silly question here, i see it says "357 magnum ONLY" does that mean no 38 special thru this one?
I'll stick some pictures up next. Tell me what you think guys.
The Henry 22 in the last picture, above the win.357 i just picked up from her as well. ($200)
And as always i appreciate all the knowledge and responses i get from you fine folks.

Another reason to grab this guy up, not only do i love lever guns but i have loads of brass, bullets, and componets for 357. Given the current state of things, thats a big plus.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Should i grab this beauty up? Im sure my wife will be beating me over the head if i show up with it, but especially right now it's hard to pass up.
I believe that is a good deal. Is there certain things with this particular gun i need to look out for?
And the silly question here, i see it says "357 magnum ONLY" does that mean no 38 special thru this one?
The Henry 22 in the last picture, above the win.357 i just picked up from her as well. ($200)
And as always i appreciate all the knowledge and responses i get from you fine folks.

Another reason to grab this guy up, not only do i love lever guns but i have loads of brass, bullets, and componets for 357. Given the current state of things, thats a big plus.
At that price I’d pick it up in a New York minute!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It has a safety on it right behind the hammer. So im guessing relatively new, made in japan? I don't have the serial number right now.

·
Premium Member
13,995 Posts
Can't believe you asked that question of all us enablers! That's a very decent price IMHO. I'd have already had it, so I too say get it. They aren't going to get cheaper!

Reactions: BDogg464

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys, any thought on the other questions? Can i run 38 special thru it?

Anything in particular (beside the normal stuff) i need to look more closely at on this model?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Now all i hear is "Buy! Buy! Buy!" in my head. It isn't going anywhere, close friend. Said she would hang onto it for me.

Well, now that this decision is made. lol Guess i need to hunt down some good load data for the bullet weights i have.

-Horrnady xtp 38 cal .357, 125GR HP/XTP 100ct.

-Horrnady xtp 38 cal .357, 158GR HP/XTP 200ct.

-Acme Bullet Hard Cast 38 cal .358, 158GR RNFP 500ct.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My only question is Why isn't it home with you NOW?

WYT-P
Skyhunter
Strategy my good friend, strategy. lol Being as my daughters birthday was right before Christmas, then Christmas, THEN the Wifes birthday in january, now i have to be good till valentines day so i don't have anything distracting me. Plus all this pandemic, political gumbo we are all going thru, just choosing when to play my hand... joking aside, just been busy. Already bought a few from her, Marlin 45/70 lever (mint, mabey test fired) Smith and wesson model 29 (nickel plated, very good condition) and the Henry 22 lever.
This one was just next on the list.....

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
That is one heck of a buy - on both rifles! He who hesitates ........

Reactions: BDogg464

·
Registered
672 Posts
No..definitely not. Send me the info and I’ll get it!heheheheh

Reactions: JACKTW

·
Registered
7 Posts

Should you buy it?

Let me save you from the wrath of your long haired acctg. dept. -- where do I send the $$$.

Assuming it's all there & hasn't been used as a jack-all handle or stood outside in the weather for a year, that's a great rifle in a very useful calibre.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Strategy my good friend, strategy. lol Being as my daughters birthday was right before Christmas, then Christmas, THEN the Wifes birthday in january, now i have to be good till valentines day so i don't have anything distracting me. Plus all this pandemic, political gumbo we are all going thru, just choosing when to play my hand... joking aside, just been busy. Already bought a few from her, Marlin 45/70 lever (mint, mabey test fired) Smith and wesson model 29 (nickel plated, very good condition) and the Henry 22 lever.
This one was just next on the list.....
This worked for me through 2.5 wives

I always had a gun sleeve or basic case in every vehicle we had (camouflage & misdirection) and never brought anything home the day I bought it, unless she was with me at the time.

So sometime later, I'd breeze in with my purchase & stash in the lockup. If she saw me and asked what I had, I'd just say my old xxx; I've had it for a while. As I was always coming & going w/ a range bag, targets & some kind of gun case, they never knew what I had. I mean, I never inventoried anyone's shoe rack(s) or makeup table so .....

Now I'm not suggesting you lie to your spouse; this is just a strategy to help them avoid stress. And no, I'm not divorced; the 2 are both deceased & the .5 was a lovely lady I lived w/ for 7 years who lost her cool when a non-university educated sales guy/small business owner (moi) earned more than an experienced FP.

I still miss her but she revealed her true colours over a few thousand dollars. C'est la vie.

G.

G.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes misdirection lol, i usually just leave it laying around in plain site. I just say i pulled it out to clean it. (Because i always clean new guns i bring home anyways. Besides they all look the same to her. I pay my bills and handle my business. What i do with my extra money doesnt seem to bother or concern her. As long as im taking of what needs to be.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts